3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Starbucks Skinny Latte - How non-compliant is it? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/191935-starbucks-skinny-latte-how-non-compliant.html)

greyhoundindy 01-23-2010 05:54 PM

Starbucks Skinny Latte - How non-compliant is it?

All -
I'm still pretty new to SBD. I seldom frequent Starbucks but needed a pick me up today. What do you think of this? It is "sugar-free" but still has "sugars" in it. From their website ----

Made with Starbucks® signature Espresso Roast combined with our sugar-free Cinnamon Dolce syrup and freshly steamed non-fat milk. Same tasty cinnamon, butter and brown sugar flavors as our regular Cinnamon Dolce Latte, but with fewer calories.
Calories 130

Fat Calories 0

Total Fat (g) 0

Saturated Fat (g) 0

Trans Fat (g) 0

Cholesterol (mg) 5

Sodium (mg) 170

Total Carbohydrates (g) 19

Fiber (g) 0

Sugars (g) 17

Protein (g) 12

Vitamin A 15%

Vitamin C 0%

Calcium 40%

Iron 0%

Caffeine (mg) 150

Thanks in advance for the advice.

WaistingTime 01-23-2010 06:12 PM

Well that is very interesting because there is a big poster at my Target's Starbucks that the skinny CD latte has only 90 calories!

I am not good at this stuff, but I can tell you that I have these occasionally and have never gotten cravings as a result. It is yummy and one of the rare times I get milk in my diet. And I don't ever drink coffee at home; I only like the flavored stuff. :coffee2:

I'm curious to see what the other chicks think.

lychee 01-23-2010 06:19 PM

Skim milk has sugar (lactose) in it, so the reported sugars are most likely from the milk and not the "sugar free" syrup.

Miss Otis 01-23-2010 06:22 PM

I got one of those in a mailer. As advertised the 90 calorie version is for a tall skinny latte. Did you get a grande? And if you're concerned just get the grande non-fat latte, they are definitely 130 calories. And I agree great for a snack in the afternoon or mid-morning.

jenne1017 01-23-2010 06:28 PM

I got this once and honestly, I prefer a grande drip with 2 squirts of SF syrup and I add my own skim milk and splenda to taste.

I think the ingredients are fine but watch to make sure it doesn't spark cravings. It's higher on the calorie end so be careful of that too!

greyhoundindy 01-23-2010 06:29 PM

Yes, I got the medium sized. Hence the 130 cals instead of the 90. It was pretty tasty.

WaistingTime 01-23-2010 06:34 PM

So embarrassing story here... last week I had my skinny, decaf latte in my Target shopping cart and it fell through somehow and splashed all over my pants and shoes before making a big puddle on the floor:( No one saw but I had to go find an employee to help me clean it up. Worst part was that I really, really wanted that drink after back-to-back cycling and yoga classes!

BTW - Mine was indeed only a tall. Who came up with those stupid names? Like we really think a tall is bigger than a small.

Lexxiss 01-23-2010 07:27 PM

Here is the nutrition info for 1 cup of FF milk. The sugars are naturally occuring in milk, thus the larger drink having more sugar and more calories. Depending on which size you choose, it would be counted towards your daily dairy allotment 2 c daily for P1, 2-3 c daily for P2.

Fat Free Milk
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 cup (8 oz)

Amount per Serving
Calories 80 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 5mg 2%
Sodium 120mg 5%
Potassium 382mg 11%
Total Carbohydrate 12g 4%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 12g
Protein 8g 16%
Vitamin A10%
Vitamin C0%
Calcium30%
Iron0%
Vitamin D25%
Thiamin (B1)10%
Riboflavin (B2)24%
Niacin (B3)10%
Vitamin B66%
Folic Acid (Folate)6%
Vitamin B1213%
Panthothenic Acid17%
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 0.0% Carbs 60.0%
Protein 40.0%

greyhoundindy 01-23-2010 07:29 PM

Now that is really SAD!! LOL!! Especially at the prices they charge! What ever happened to small, medium and large? Not as romantic, I guess.....

femmecreole 01-23-2010 07:37 PM

There is a starbucks @ my gym. I get a large coffee (skim milk) every morning when I leave. April (the sweet girl!) see's me walking out of the dressing room and has it all ready for me. For the 3rd time in the last year, I put it on top of my car yesterday while putting in my gym bag and drove off....kerplunk

heidibird 01-23-2010 08:11 PM

Karen- I am sorry about your latte story. It made me miss home (WA). Most grocery stores around that area have cup holders on the carts for your coffee when you shop. I guess for us truly addicted coffee drinkers (I drink the stuff all day long).

About the skinny latte's. I drink these every now and then and I have had two since starting phase I. I never really checked but I thought they were on plan because my dad was on SB for the longest time and he drinks about 7 or more latte's a day (seriously).

I dont really know though, I am pretty clueless :)

jenne1017 01-23-2010 08:19 PM

your coffe stories have me lol'ing for real :lol3:

SEVEN LATTEs???? That's too excessive -- it counts as dairy. But then again, he's a guy and it probably doesn't bother nor stall him one bit, p00p!

tammies00 01-23-2010 09:20 PM

We actually have a starbucks here on our base. LOL They know what I like but I can't get what I like anymore. I love the white chocolate one but it doesn't come in sugar free. My newest love is the sf caramel latte. I don't miss the white chocolate anymore. I NEVER get even when I wasn't dieting I NEVER got the whip cream. That stuff is DEADLY!!!!

murphmitch 01-23-2010 09:39 PM

I have a tall skinny hazelnut latte almost every day. Love them!

Mmckellen 01-23-2010 10:09 PM

I feel good about getting one of my dairy servings in either a ff cafe au lait or ff cappucino each day. I don't use any of the syrups or sugar substitute though.