South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/162/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Cravings will subside? Really?

Hi, I'm new!

I'm on day 3 of Phase I for the first time ever. Days 1 and 2 were fine. I'm getting plenty to eat, it's just that starting today all I can think about are wine and french fries (though not necessarily together)!

Will it probably take the full two weeks to shake the cravings? I need to let my husband know how cranky he can plan on me being.

Thanks for any input!
weakling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Please post exactly what you have been eating and we'll take a look at it. You may be missing something. Have you read the book?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

The cravings DO subside, really. I had varying degrees of craving throughout P1, even though I was also feeling better. I really took it to heart and didn't eat anything off plan and more than once went to bed early rather than eating something not allowed.

Once I moved into P2, the additional food choices made life much more bearable.

Now, I feel I really eat for my health and I don't have that intense physical craving. I may really want to eat something, but it's more mental....if that makes sense. My food intake is no longer fueled by uncontrollable urges.

Best wishes! Hang in there!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Yes, the cravings really do subside, and it should only take a few days. Usually the 3rd day is the hardest, so hang in there.

As Ruth suggested, if you post a menu of what you've been eating we can take a look to see if something you're eating is causing problems.

P.S. The recipe for Popcorn Cauliflower in the Phase 1 snacks of our recipe section is a great substitute for the fries you are craving.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #5  

Okay, here's today's menu: (and yes, I read the book)

B: 2 poached eggs, 1 TVP sausage, 1c. greens, 6oz. V8, coffee
S: String cheese, water
L: Lettuce wraps with extra-lean ground beef and spinach (about 2 oz meat....leftovers from last night)
S: 25 hazelnuts, diet coke
D: 3 oz. garlic sauteed shrimp over 2 c. greens, 1 c. cauliflower and white bean soup.

I might not be drinking 8 glasses of water. I don't much like sweets (but I still got fat), so I don't have anything after dinner. The cravings don't surprise me because I was all about bad carbs, but I'm just hoping they'll go away soon.

Thanks!

Edited to add: I also have a glass of milk with dinner.

Last edited by weakling; 01-06-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 148/141.5/125

Height: 5'4"

You did well staying on the plan ... I'm on SB with my boyfriend and our roommate and they both have been having cravings that I haven't been. In fact, not only have my cravings subsided but my appetite has subsided as well. Today is the only day that I've really had cravings and that's just because I feel like I'm getting a cold but after really considering going off plan today and just tacking another day onto Phase I, I walked into Starbucks, smelled the coffee and a strong desire for black coffee kicked in which totally killed my craving for sweet.

Our roommate went through carb withdrawal, and my boyfriend had sugar cravings, but I've been surprisingly fine.
KKBs Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8"

To me, it looks like you are not eating enough. And where's the dairy, besides the cheese? You should add 2 cups of dairy, i.e. yogurt or cottage cheese (low or nonfat). That should help with the cravings.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for posting your menu, Weakling, and it looks good. The only thing I can detect that may be causing any cravings is the diet coke, as that can cause problems for some people. What do you put in your coffee? Make sure you don't use any sugar at all.

You're doing well. Just hang in there and soon you'll discover those cravings will subside for good as long as you stay OP.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Diet Coke doesn't trigger for me since I've been drinking Diet for so long. I agree with more water and veggies. Cheese sometimes triggers me if I don't get enough dairy in. It could be just a short phase too -- body adjustments. I usually go through that on Day 5 (and did) but now, on Day 7, no cravings.

Post again and let us know how you are doing!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #10  
MsWannaBSlim

S/C/G: 230/179/159 lbs

Height: 5' 4"

You are doing FANTASTICALLY - Congratulations! I did phase 1 years ago, stayed on phase 2 and lost about 60 lbs. kept it off for years - had very few cravings. It took a looong time and a whole lot of "Oh well I might as well eat that, I've put on 5 lbs" before I was back where I started. So I did phase 1 again in the fall and felt great - even over the holidays - I wasn't as nearly as tempted by the baking, and carbs on the table if I hadn't done phase 1. And I didn't gain weight over the holidays - which is a victory in my books.

Phase 1 is hard, but keep on chugging. Do what you need to do to get through - reward yourself in healthy ways - have a nice bubble bath, have coffee with a friend, or whatever makes you happy and gets you through the first phase. I swear by it. Congrats on doing so well and keep it up!!
MsWannaBSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
Yes, the cravings really do subside, and it should only take a few days. Usually the 3rd day is the hardest, so hang in there.

As Ruth suggested, if you post a menu of what you've been eating we can take a look to see if something you're eating is causing problems.

P.S. The recipe for Popcorn Cauliflower in the Phase 1 snacks of our recipe section is a great substitute for the fries you are craving.
Someone tell me about this popcorn Cauliflower...I did a search and nothing came up????
litar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by litar View Post
Someone tell me about this popcorn Cauliflower...I did a search and nothing came up????
Never mind...I just found it!
litar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmckellen View Post
To me, it looks like you are not eating enough. And where's the dairy, besides the cheese? You should add 2 cups of dairy, i.e. yogurt or cottage cheese (low or nonfat). That should help with the cravings.
I edited to add that I drink a glass of milk (non-fat) with dinner each night....about 12 ounces.

This is day 4 and I really feel energized today. I'm not really craving anything, had an eggbeaters and cheese omelet with a tvp sausage and V8 for breakfast....will snack soon.

I haven't had a movement in the nether-regions yet, but I'm hoping. I'm also having some insomnia....wondering if it's related?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #14  

Hi Weakling, Hi everyone!

I also started South Beac and its my 2nd night. I am ok. I said to myself - dont take care about the amount, just take care to leave carbs out...

I did not know about SB and I, a few years ago, realized that I discovered Phase 1 by myself. I am a carb addict and I do eat only carbs most of the time. And because of that there was no way to control a HUGE hunger any more. And than I went cold turkey and decided not to eat carbs for a week to see what will happen. And I realized that cravings and HUGER HANGER did stop after 5-7 days. And that saved me!!! I did eat a lot of other things, especially eggs and greek yogurt and cheese in those days, but It was worth it!

Now I am on my second day and I dont have time to eat 5 meals, I eat 3. And I dont mind quantity, just not to eat carbs! After I survive first week I know I will get better...everyone would so dont worry
nomena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #15  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Nomena- remember, you *can* eat carbs while following South Beach -- just the RIGHT carbs is key. I hope you got some good insight from the book!

Weakling- (how about thinking about changing your username? It's so negative for someone doing so well!) Dr. A recommends you take a NSA fiber supplement. I have that issue sometimes too and do take a supplement. I am glad you got over the hump
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote