Salsa in phase one?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Okay so salsa is my go to condiment, I can just about eat it on anything. As long as it is no sugar added is this okay in phase 1?? I'm confused about this because I have the worlds oldest south beach diet book.
  • I always have salsa in Phase 1 -- and in Phase 2, for that matter! The chips are right out, though. (Of course you knew that.)
  • no chips!!!lol
  • I have eaten salsa (no sugar stuff) with zucchini chips that I made in my food dehydrator. They are pretty darned good.
  • Quote: As long as it is no sugar added is this okay in phase 1?? I'm confused about this because I have the worlds oldest south beach diet book.
    The basics of this plan are still the same, the only changes are that a few more foods have been added to each Phase. Check out our up-to-date food lists in the FAQs.

I love salsa and put it on almost everything.
  • Just had a lightbulb moment! The old book did not allow tomatoes which is why there is confusion over salsa! Be sure to use the revised list from the FAQ section here.
  • Thanks guys that clarifys a lot for me!!!

zucchini chips....ummm...yumm. Too bad i dont have a food dehydrator.... maybe if i bake them???
  • You should be able to dehydrate most anything if you set your oven super slow (say 175F), slice it thin and watch it closely over a few hours. Would love to hear how they come out! I have a massive ol' food dehydrator for large quantities of things, but if I'm just dehydrating a bit of stuff, the oven works great.

Good luck with it!
  • how do you make zuchinni chips in the dehydrator, my hubby loves chips and salsa and so do i..... so salsa is ok as long as it has no sugar? is there a sugar free kind.... I got the south beach diet book, but i'm still confused... it says you can have store bought salad dressing but never says what kind, like brand wise,
  • Salsa is ordinarily sugar-free (no added sugar), but I have no doubt someone out there puts sugar in it. Just check the label.
  • actually in my experience about 50% of store salsas contain sugar so always check. It even varies within the same brand. For example Newman's has several varieties that include sugar and a couple that don't, cuz you need to spend twice as long buying groceries.
  • As to salad dressings, there are lots of brands. Here is the rule from the Phase I List in our FAQ Section in this Forum.
    Quote:
    Salad Dressing - 2 TBS. Use those that contain 3 grams of sugar or less per 2 TBS. Best choices contain canola or olive oil. Low carb salad dressings may also be used if they meet these guidelines.
  • salsa often contains sugar, but it's easy to make your own...
  • The sugar in lots of commercial salsas is minimal. Here are the stats for Old El Paso. Note that there are three carbs per serving and only 1 is from sugar. Some of that will be the fructose in the tomatoes.

I usually make my own when I have a good tomato crop but have no problem using the commercial on Phase I. (We are allowed a bit of sugar in salad dressings, right?)
  • but why buy the variety with sugar if you can find one without? I've found some really good sugar free salsas. I know everyone interprets the sugar thing differently and we can have a little but I guess I don't see a reason to include it in my diet if it's easily avoided?

ETA - not to be argumentative It's one of those approach things I wonder about. Could be that being too strict makes my life more difficult though. Hm, maybe that's another topic for discussion?