South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

Default help! sbd comfort foods for nasty flu

hi all!

this month has been aarrgghh! it seems i have an on/off love affair with a certain flu virus. sore throat, total congestion, fever. ugh! just can't shake it! after weeks of scrambled eggs,homemade chicken/veggie soup and chicken chili i am wondering what you chicas do for comfort food when you are sick? puh-leeze share with this sick chickee

thanks

janet
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Janet, what are you looking for in terms of comfort food? Cold? Hot? Good for sore throats? Mushy? Crunchy?

My favorite comfort food on SBD is refried beans. I get a can of vegetarian or FF beans and split it into two bowls (one for now, one for later). I mix in some seasoning salt and granulated garlic, then heat. I add a sprinkle of LF cheese and a bunch of SF salsa and stir. SOOO good!

Try Annie's Homegrown Mac n' Cheese (they have durum semolina versions, WW shells with cheddar, and WW pasta with alfredo), made with Smart Balance and skim milk.

I really enjoy No Sugar Added fruit sherbet when my throat hurts. It has some questionable ingredients, so you'd have to decide if that works for you. NSA popsicles could do the same thing.

How about SF pudding? There are a gazillion flavors in the Jell-O aisle.

Oatmeal? That's a good comfort food.

How about really soft veggies?

Last edited by beachgal; 10-02-2009 at 11:21 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Janet

Sorry you've been sick. I haven't been sick since on SB . Beachgal had some good suggestions and my thought was pureed squash with pumpkin pie spices. I've been having a hot lemon toddy lately, just juice of a fresh lemon, hot water and a dash of agave nectar.

Get well soon. You're too busy to be sick.

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

There is a broccoli cheese recipe in the recipe section that is truly wonderful. Might fix you right up.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #5  

thanks much ladies!

looking for warm smooth yet cheesy flavory foods

debbie-have been drinking the same along with ginger root.
laurie- i wish i had the same products as you do in the grocery aisle.
chelby- i think i saw that cheese n broccoli soup recipe.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 301/284/220

Height: 5'5"

Default Ideal food.....

My ideal foods for comfort are cheese soup and potato soup. Obviously not south beach approved! If someone knows of any recipes, please let me know though.

OK.....back to your question. I have tried a "mock" French onion soup. LF, and Low sodium beef broth, with some sauteed onions and mushrooms added. No croutons or bread, and cheese only if you want it. I sipped this directly from a mug when I had a cold.....really made me feel a lot better, and opened up the sinuses.
obnurseonsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #7  
South Beach Newbie

S/C/G: 145/132/115

Height: 5'2"

made a good black bean soup yesterday...easy...1/2 cup salsa...1 can black beans rinced and drained...3/4 cup stock...heat salsa first then add other two ingredients-simmer 15 mins...puree and serve with sour cream and cilantro if desired (I love the sour cream part (lf or ff). Makes about 3 cups or so.

Really creamy tasting but not too thick for sore throats.

Last edited by schluh; 10-05-2009 at 01:28 PM.
schluh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #8  
Enjoying healthy living

Height: 5'9"

My favorite thing when I feel sick is Hot and Sour soup.... I buy it at the local Chinese restaurant, but, does anyone have a recipe, so I know what I'm putting inside me?? I've just been 'hoping' it's SB-friendly!
ThinAgainBeginAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #9  
Be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluh View Post
made a good black bean soup yesterday...easy...1/2 cup salsa...1 can black beans rinced and drained...3/4 cup stock...heat salsa first then add other two ingredients-simmer 15 mins...puree and serve with sour cream and cilantro if desired (I love the sour cream part (lf or ff). Makes about 3 cups or so.

Really creamy tasting but not too thick for sore throats.
I was sitting here trying to figure out what to take to school for lunch tomorrow. This sounds great!

I'm going to go make it right now. Thanks for sharing it!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinAgainBeginAgain View Post
My favorite thing when I feel sick is Hot and Sour soup.... I buy it at the local Chinese restaurant, but, does anyone have a recipe, so I know what I'm putting inside me?? I've just been 'hoping' it's SB-friendly!
I have a delicious hot and sour soup recipe. It has lots of very unusual ingredients -- like wood ear fungus. Let me know if you want me to PM the recipe to you. DH and I decided we'd rather buy it at the restaurant.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #11  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

how about some tomato soup with some LF Ricotta and parmesan? Or sometimes I'll just put some shredded LF cheddar in. I too crave smooth warm cheesy foods when sick. My go to comfort food is usually french onion soup with a piece of whole wheat italian bread and swiss or provolone cheese or some brown rice with cheese melted on it.
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #12  
Enjoying healthy living

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelby29 View Post
I have a delicious hot and sour soup recipe. It has lots of very unusual ingredients -- like wood ear fungus. Let me know if you want me to PM the recipe to you. DH and I decided we'd rather buy it at the restaurant.
Oh, please do! I'd love to see what's in it! Not sure I've ever heard of wood ear fungus, please tell me that's some form of mushroom!
ThinAgainBeginAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #13  

yummy! thx for all the wonderful ideas- want to add oma's lentil soup (more like a stew) with turkey hotdogs,

black bean soup sounds awesome!

chelby- not a big fan of sweet n sour soup do love tom kha gai, tho!

antibiotics are kicking in....actually had salad today