South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default FYI - Canadian Thanksgiving

Our Thanksgiving is always the second Monday in October which corresponds with the end of the harvest. Here's an explanation from wikipedia:
Quote:
History of Thanksgiving in Canada
The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean. Frobisher's Thanksgiving was not for harvest but homecoming. He had safely returned from a search for the Northwest Passage, avoiding the later fate of Henry Hudson and Sir John Franklin. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. The feast was one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in North America, although celebrating the harvest and giving thanks for a successful bounty of crops had been a long-standing tradition throughout North America by various First Nations and Native American groups. First Nations and Native Americans throughout the Americas, including the Pueblo, Cherokee, Cree and many others organized harvest festivals, ceremonial dances, and other celebrations of thanks for centuries before the arrival of Europeans in North America [6]. Frobisher was later knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him — Frobisher Bay.

At the same time, French settlers, having crossed the ocean and arrived in Canada with explorer Samuel de Champlain, also held huge feasts of thanks. They even formed 'The Order of Good Cheer' and gladly shared their food with their First Nations neighbours.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #2  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Learn something new everyday...thanks Ruth! I have a lot of customers in Canada...maybe I can impress them with that LOL. What is a typical Canadian Thanksgiving meal? Is it similar to the one in the states?
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

Almost identical. See my second post in the Daily chat thread.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #4  

Ruth - Sorry I forgot to wish you Happy Thanksgiving - hope you had a wonderful day!
waquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

Thanks but it's not until this weekend. This is prep week although I'm lucky to have two dinner invitations. I think I'm lucky but it's going to be a minefield!