South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.6/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Amy's Black Bean Burrito

Still trying to get the hang of reading labels... Would this be okay, or is the "Wheat flour" bad?

Vegan: Organic Pinto Beans, Organic Whole Wheat & Wheat Flour, Filtered Water, Organic Onion, Organic Black Beans, Organic Potatoes, Organic Corn, Organic Broccoli, Organic Bell Peppers, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Kidney Beans, Expeller Pressed High Oleic Safflower Oil, Sweet Rice Flour, Spices, Organic Garlic, Organic Green Chilies, Sea Salt, Jalapeno Peppers, Tapioca Flour.
Tryin2LoseIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry but wheat flour is just white flour. All flours made from wheat are labelled wheat flour whether whole wheat or not.

I'd stay away from these. I've underlined the non-compliant ingredients. I realize they can be eaten in limited quantities on Phase II but there are way too may of them IMHO.

Organic Pinto Beans, Organic Whole Wheat & Wheat Flour, Filtered Water, Organic Onion, Organic Black Beans, Organic Potatoes, Organic Corn, Organic Broccoli, Organic Bell Peppers, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Kidney Beans, Expeller Pressed High Oleic Safflower Oil, Sweet Rice Flour, Spices, Organic Garlic, Organic Green Chilies, Sea Salt, Jalapeno Peppers, Tapioca Flour.

Perhaps you can use the OK ingredients plus some others - celery and zucchini come to mind - and create your own to have in a ww tortilla.

Edited to Add: Thanks so much for posting the actual ingredients. That saves the MODs having to Google. Lots of chicks just post the nutrients.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180.6/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for actually showing me the "non OP" foods in there... I am really trying with the labels, but it's slow going! I thought that Wheat Flour was a no-no! So pretty much ANY flour but 100% whole wheat is off limits?

I'm just not a cook at all and trying to find things like this that are easy! I will have to try to make my own one of these days! Black beans are my new favorite food!
Tryin2LoseIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

When dealing with wheat flour, yes, it must be whole grain.

One of the MODs made a black bean filling for us on our weekend. I'll try to adapt it and post it in here.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I can't, for the life of me figure out why Amy's doesn't use 100% whole grains in their products. They always look so good and they're all about organic, so why not use whole grain?
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/201/175

Height: 5"6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
I can't, for the life of me figure out why Amy's doesn't use 100% whole grains in their products. They always look so good and they're all about organic, so why not use whole grain?
I was wondering the same thing when I was in the store this weekend.
KDHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Actually, wheat flour is confusing. At least in the US, it's not the same as white flour. In labels, white flour is usually written like "enriched flour" or "unbleached flour," while "wheat flour" is somethng different. It's kind of a "middle ground" between whole wheat flour and white flour (i.e. "enriched, bleached flour"). You can read more in the Help! Confused about flours! thread in the FAQ.

Tryin2, I've had success with Amy's products, although some are made with just wheat flour. You'd have to check them out personally to be sure of what works for you. Though making your own burritos is the best option (and you could even freeze your homemade ones to take and go later!), I sometimes find the premade ones helpful, but I'd recommend the Bean & Cheese Burritoinstead, with a side of veggies (frozen, if you don't have time to make some). Here are the ingredients for it:

Quote:
Bean & Cheese Burrito
INGREDIENTS : ORGANIC PINTO BEANS, ORGANIC WHOLE WHEAT & WHEAT FLOUR, FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC BROWN RICE, ORGANIC TOMATOES, CHEDDAR AND JACK CHEESES, EXPELLER PRESSED HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL, ORGANIC ONIONS, ORGANIC BELL PEPPERS, ORGANIC SWEET RICE FLOUR, SEA SALT, SPICES, ORGANIC GARLIC. CONTAINS WHEAT AND MILK.
The only questionable things are: whether the amount of "wheat flour" is high enough to trigger cravings, the cheese is full fat, and the sweet rice flour. Only you can figure out if the first is true for you; for me, it doesn't cause cravings. As long as I moderate my saturated fat intake for the rest of the day, the cheese is okay, and the sweet rice flour is so far down on the list, I don't think it's a problem. Just my thoughts...
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote