South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Phase I.5 to Phase II Motivation and Questions

Hey all you Phase 2 warriors !

I'm on week 4 of Phase 2, and am doing great with it.

Just wondered if anyone wants to keep a thread going to post progress, thoughts and feelings about SB, your exercise plans, fave foods, things you're learning along the way, etc. ? I know for me, it would help a lot to see others in the same situation.

Anything SB phase 2 !

Let's keep each other motivated

One thing for me has been trying different food combinations that I may have otherwise not eaten before. I've been experimenting and trying new things, which is good. Trying to keep it good tasting and interesting so I stay OP.

I've also been working out about 2-3 times a week. I mostly walk or have a few workout vids I switch around.

So far for me, in my 6th week of SB, I can honestly say I've felt better than ever, and honestly feel I can do this for life.

Happy Tuesday beaching everyone !
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #2  
Beach Babe in Training

S/C/G: 185.8/180.2/145

Height: 5' 9"

Love this, I'm in!!

I'm in week 2 of P2, but its more or less like P 1.5 for me! I'm adding in only one thing per week, just easing into P2 with small additions. And even then, I"m only eating the new thing every other day. Still nervous about being past the restrictions of P2. But I still feel great, full of energy, never hungry, love this way of eating!!

I've not been able to exercise yet. Went to the chiro yesterday and looks like I've tweaked my pelvis and need to do some adjustments and physical/massage therapy for a few weeks. I can ease into exercising, but I want to wait until the pain is completely gone.

I'm cautious about possibly gaining a little bit of weight in P2 as I figure out the food combinations that work best for me, but since this is going to be a new life style for me, long term, I suppose I can deal with that! Weigh in on Friday and TOM soon, so also nervous about that.

Just thanks to everyone for posting their successes, challenges, and failures for us. It helps to have all the support and encouragment here on the beach!
CindieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180.6/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm getting ready to finish phase 1 and start phase 2 this week. I like the idea of this thread!! I too am soooo scared to start phase 2! I don't want to gain any weight or make the wrong decisions. I think I am also going to add in only one item at a time and SLOWLY ease into it!

I don't really enjoy fruit much which is what most people tend to add in first. Are there any suggestions on what might be best to start with for nutritional value?

Looking forward to phase 2!
Tryin2LoseIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #4  

Hi Ladies !

Glad to see you here

CindieJo .. ouchies on the pelvis issues. Hope the chiro can help get you back to better. Prob a good idea to take it easy and get yourself feeling better. I agree, this is a lifestle change for me too. I only wish I'd done this long ago, but hey, better late than never

Tryin2 .. I totally understand about being nervous to start P2. I did so well the first two weeks, and felt comfortable with the food list, that I was terrified of slipping up with more food options. I started looking at it like each phase has a list of foods, and you need to follow it. So, I felt as long as I stuck with the plan and the list, I would be okay

For me, I love fruit, so it was nice to be able to add some back in. Is there anything you like in particular? Maybe you've been missing cereal or a bagel? Personally, I don't do well with cereal or my starches in the morning, but that's just what I've found.

I think one thing about this plan, and as Cindie mentioned, it's finding the combinations of food that will work for us.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #5  

I, too, would like to join this thread as I'm week 2 of P2. I've started having a fruit for breakfast - usually berries - something I would have never done a month ago. The main change for me has been my taste buds have changed so I don't want some of the stuff I used to eat. The only slip up I've had was a tiny piece of pie that was forced on me (yes, I know I'm weak), but instead of a regular size piece I only had about a third of one and realized it really didn't taste that good, & I was more interested in getting back OP.
waquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #6  

Hi again Christina! I'm glad you started this thread. I'm sure it's going to be a benefit to us all.

Hey ya'll to everyone who joined in! I look forward to sharing with each of you.

I'm currently on Phase 2. I've been off and on for years BUT this time around I'm working my way towards Phase 3. I've always felt like I was on a modified version of the SBD but it was only working a teeny-tiny bit. I'd get to a good point and felt I didn't need to plan, could eat out, didn't need a diary/food journal and didn't need to log-on to this site. As the yo-yo went up and down the string for many years, I'd jump back and forth between Phase 1 and 2. The difference this time I made a great deal of personal life changes and had to get slapped with a few realities. I found the biggest pair of scissors and cut that yo-yo string for good!

I re-started my real SBD journey after my favorite holiday, the 4th of July. The official day was Tuesday, July 7th. By Independence Day 2010, I will be able to happily report my successes throughout the year.

I'm wishing you all the best of success with this wonderful SB lifestyle we've chosen!!

Last edited by SunshineCA; 08-12-2009 at 01:03 AM.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #7  

Thanks for the input, Ruby! I saw on the list of approved cereals that Cheerios (no flavor) is allowed! Boy am I excited! One thing I miss with this diet is snacking on something dry/crunchy. I love chips, pretzels, etc. and it's just not the same to munch on veggies, although they are good too. So, today, I am starting phase 1.5 and adding in Cheerios!! I like them because it will take me all morning to eat a cup as I like to nibble - and makes me feel like I'm getting more.

One question though - On the ingredients, it does list modified corn starch and sugar as the second and third ingredients. Aren't these 2 of the big no-no's?? I am just trying so hard to learn how to read labels and this threw me for a loop. Any ideas? (The fiber is 4g and sugar is 2g... 29g of total carbs)

Thanks Beachers - I hope you all have a great Wednesday!!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

howdee ladies!

another flyby for me--> had lotsa job interviews and plenty of stressful stuff going on but remained OP! am also doing more of a phase 1.5. lost a total of 6lbs on phase one

tryin2: corn starch&sugar jumpstart my cravings! just had a look in the book and it does say plain cheerios are P2 but also to be enjoyed very rarely. i would do without or try some sb-friendly granola....
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #9  
Beach Babe in Training

I keep comparing P 1.5 with just dipping your toes in the water to test the waters, that's what I feel like I am doing! Had a low fat hot dog with the kids last night, but instead of that nasty white bun, wrapped mine in a piece of WW bread with a dab of mayo. And I still felt so guilty! Gobbled up a big bowl of steamed green beans after that!

I miss the crunchy snacks as well. Tried veggies and hummus for a snack, that's OK, but the hummus wasn't the greatest. I'm going to try the local health food store this week for some homemade hummus that sounds better than what I can get at the local grocer. I also like to pop a handful (or 2) of grape tomatoes for a mid-afternoon snack. I can't believe how sweet they taste to me!

We'll see how weigh-in goes this week, then will probably add some high fiber cereal for breakfast a couple of times, and maybe WW pasta. I've never been a big fruit lover (I know, I'm weird.). I'll eat it if its there, but have never really included it as a regular part of my diet.

Love this thread! to all my Beacher Buddies!!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

For a crunchy snack, have you tried the roasted chick peas? I think there is a good homemade hummus in the Phase I recipe section too.
My favourite breakfast is Fibre 1, lf yogurt and blueberries. It tastes like a sundae to me - but I'm weird.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

crunchy snacks #2 roasted soy beans with herbs or dipped in 99% chocolate....
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #12  
Beach Babe in Training

Tried the roasted chick peas, was not too thrilled. They were not as crunchy as I had hoped for. Maybe I did not cook them long enough? I'll probably try again because I have cans of garb beans sitting in the pantry!

Yum, roasted soy beans, forgot about those!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #13  

These roasted soy beans and chick peas... I assume you have to actually make that? I'm not much of a cook, so I like the idea of grab and go when I can!! My cup of cheerios kept me full and happy all morning! I suppose I could try a cereal with a bit less sugar and more fiber, though! As long as it crunches! Also, in Phase 2, it says you can do airpopped popcorn, right?? I MISS popcorn!! I always make mine on the stove with kernals and a bit of EVOO. Is that okay?? I'm glad we have a Phase 1.5 thread... it's making this much easier!!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #14  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Tryin, remember to watch your serving sizes. Too many grain servings has been the undoing of many of us. I could only lose with 2 servings of grain and one of fruit on Phase II. Just be careful! Three cups of popcorn is a serving. Do you like the Kashi Good Friends cereal? I love it and it has a lot more fiber than the Cheerios. My kids think it looks like sticks though and won't touch it!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #15  

Happy Wednesday ladies !

to those that have joined us.

Sunshine .. so glad to see you here. I know that you have been through SB and always have lots of good ideas and motivation

Anne .. that is really good advice. I've been trying to keep my grains to 1, sometimes 2, and fruit to 1. I just find that with that I've been feeling better. Oh, and I find that cereal in the morning for breakfast doesn't work for me either

waquilter .. I've been the same really, as far as tastebuds. I have found that I don't have a "taste" for any of the junk I used to eat, and am developing a taste for more nutritious things It's great

Cindie .. it really is like dipping your toes in the water trying to see what works for us and what doesn't on this phase. It's nice that we have some gals here that know SB inside and out to help us

I've not been craving any "crunchy" stuff, but have been enjoying my little snacks .. usually yogurt or cottage cheese with cinnamon, vanilla, and sweetener, or my fruit for the day.

Ruth .. I decided to try the Fibre One cereal. I got the honey clusters ( I think it's called !) and may have that as a snack at night, or putting a bit in my yogurt for a little crunch

Jan .. Congrats on staying OP despite the things you're going through. Stress can be so hard to get through without turning to food. Keep it going !

I hop you are all having a great Wednesday

Last edited by ruby2sday; 08-12-2009 at 06:52 PM.