South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Red face I really need to be serious

Hi everyone, I was here in the past and did the South Beach diet successfully... then didn't stay with it as a WOL and gained all my weight back + a few extra pounds. I'm very depressed with the way I feel and look, and know it can be better. I recently had a trip to the DR's office because I was short of breath after being treated for a sinus infection that didn't to want to go away, unbeknown to me that started off a round testing because shortness of breath can be a symptom of heart attack (my mother had her first heart attack when she was just a few years older then I am now. Good news, I wasn't having a heart attack but only the start of walking pneumonia. They treated me for that and sent me on my way. A couple days later the nurse called me advising that my cholesterol was high and the DR wanted me to go on a low fat diet and exercise, my blood sugar was somewhat high as well.. and I have risk factors for diabetes so that is something else I need to try to control. Instead of going back to the Beach I started looking around for low fat diet and haven't found anything that I feel I can "live" with. So, here I am and to stay as this is not just a matter of vanity anymore, it is my heath that I am concerned about. I have 3 months to lower my numbers or I will be put on drugs to lower it for me.. I don't want to have any more rx's. I already take lexapro for depression, 38 and have my 5 children to think about, I need to be here to take care of them... and my husband.

So, I have come back here a few times since falling off and continued to slack off so stayed away. I need to have accountability for what I'm doing and this board was great when I was in the right frame of mind and really doing it right. If you will all have me, i'm back to STAY

Last edited by oopsmyhalofelloff; 07-04-2009 at 10:42 PM.
oopsmyhalofelloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #2  

We're glad to have you back. It was the threat of cholesterol medicine that started me on South Beach in the first place. It work for me and then I did the same thing you did and gained back quite a bit of the weight. I'm working on it again and it is starting to come back off. We're here to support you.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome back. I find coming here daily to be a great way to stay focused and get support. I was able to lower my cholesterol quite nicely with SB but it took more than 3 months to get it down, more like 6 months, so hopefully your doctor will see a decrease when you're retested. Good luck and jope this time it really "sticks" for you. I have found SB to be a relatively painless and actually quite enjoyable WOE that I feel I can stay on for life.

Last edited by murphmitch; 07-05-2009 at 12:52 AM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Oops and

I hope you start feeling better about everything soon. I lost most of my weight by switching to a WOL very close to SB. I started exercising regularly and eating way better. I also had all the health issues you have mentioned. High BP, pre-diabetic and figured my cholesterol was high although I didn't have the courage to find out.

My missing link which totally made sense once I started SB was getting rid of sugar and white flour. I hadn't done that before. I have been OP for 2 months now, and have ceased the BP medication because my BP is normal. When I had my BS checked a year ago it was ok, but I feel it has stabilized even more since I have been OP. I don't have the ups and downs with energy and moods.

For me right now, the key to staying OP is to post here EVERY day. By doing that I keep in very close touch with others who have adopted the SB WOL and are happy, healthy, losing and then maintaining long term. What I have observed by checking in daily, is that when folks go off plan, its ok, because they jump right back on. That is probably the most important thing I can learn right now, because that is too easily my downfall. When I went off my plan last fall and started eating whatever whenever I gained back 20 of my precious lost pounds. Thankfully, I am only 3 pounds off that now and look forward to 199. Now when I have something not allowed, I jump right back on, but I am finding more and more that my alternative is better-if I want Carrot Cake I find a way to make it that is in line with SB.

Best wishes to you!. I look forward to your posts.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Welcome back to the beach. I also have been here and strayed, putting back on the pounds that I struggled to take off. This time I am committed to the plan of making myself healthy. It helps me to know that others are where I am in this battle. All the support here makes a difference. Linda
michigangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I am strongly considering starting the SB change the day after my bday. I have lost 70 lbs by exercise and moderate food changes. I am having a little problem w depression and I have been doing research that taking the sugar and white flour and such maybe my best move. My question is..... did most of you read the book or how did you start?
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the warm welcome back, I am going to post every day and will adopt this WOE again and stick to it It does help to know that there are others out there with the same hurdles

ladyrider - When I first became interested in this WOE in 2007 I didn't have the book at first, I was going to give it a shot without getting the book. However, many of the people that I had discussed SB with suggested reading the book, so I bought it and read it. I do think that it give you a good solid foundation for starting and also gives you the knowledge as to why this is a great WOE
oopsmyhalofelloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #8  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

back Oops! You can totally do it!!!!

And lady, I wouldn't even try to do SBD without reading the book, because without being informed, you're much less likely to succeed. Go to the library and check it out so you don't have to spend money on it. There's a ton of information on this site, but it's designed for people that have already read the book and have a general knowledge of the way of eating.

Welcome to you both! Pull up a towel and relax!
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post
I am strongly considering starting the SB change the day after my bday. I have lost 70 lbs by exercise and moderate food changes. I am having a little problem w depression and I have been doing research that taking the sugar and white flour and such maybe my best move. My question is..... did most of you read the book or how did you start?
I agree, reading the book is essential. I went to the library to get a copy of the older book. There is a newer version "South Beach Supercharged" that the library may not have. It has a few changes plus an exercise program. The newest food lists are updated on this forum in the stickies if you aren't able to get the newest edition. I have done some reading on depression and many articles also suggest how deficient our diets are in healthy Omega-3's as a possible contributor to depression. The SB diet includes adequate amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

lexxiss...
I really like your sugggestion about posting everyday..good or bad.

I am 1/2 way eating SouthBeach but would like to get
back on track and lose 10 more pounds...

oops...I am with you ..lets try hard to eat SB and post everyday.
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #11  
Macros!!

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'0"

Welcome! We're all here to support you!
ArmyAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/133/115

Height: 5'0"

awww!!! well, welcome back and good luck to you in your quest to becoming healthier. YOU CAN DO IT!
moncheree is offline   Reply With Quote