South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #1  
twinkletwinkle1

Default Stressed

Hi everyone I am new to the beach. I have done almost every diet in the book and I thought I had finally found the right fit for a lifestyle change with SBD. I have been diagnosed with PCOS, so I figured I would be most successful on this eating plan. So this is my fifth day and guess what....wait for it......wait for it......I gained!!!!! I am so depressed. I feel like I am working very hard. I know that I did not gain this weight overnight, but I expected at least a few punds to be gone. I am on phase 1 for petes sake.

I decided to list my activities and food here so I can get some feedback from senior beachers. So this was a day in my life yesterday, brace yourself:

6am Mornong workout-Jilian 30 day shred 30min

breakfast 1/2 c nf yogurt, 1/2 c 1% cottage cheese w a little splenda, 1/2 T sliced almonds, 1 bottle of H20, one a day weight smart

snack: green pepper slices and 1 lite string cheese (4g fat) 1 bottle H2O

Lunch: soup I made about 2 cups (with cabbage, zuchinni, onions, green peppers, celery, mushrooms, green beans, no salt diced tomatos, low sodium broth, about 4oz chicken) 1 bottle H2O

Post work workout: 35 min alternating runnng and walking on treadmill plus weights for arms and crunches (about 15 min) 100 jumping jacks

Dinner: taco bake with 1T ff sour cream 5 sliced olives, diced onions, 1T sf salsa, ff cheese, 2 c lettuce with sf organic balsamic vinegerette<------possible spelling error<--------- 1/2 c ff yougrt 1/2 c 1% cottage cheese 1 tsp sliced almonds

Please examine and help if you can. Thanks!!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Are you weighing daily? I only weigh once a week. Daily ups and downs are not usually significant and can be frustrating. Don't focus on the scales. Try to concentrate on the eating plan and not worry about it too much. Your food plan looks OK. Make sure you're getting all your snacks in and lots of water. If you're working out a lot, maybe you're not eating enough. You shouldn't be starving between meals.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/133/115

Height: 5'0"

Yeah, I suggest weighing only once a week. I went through a period where I was weighing myself daily, and driving myself crazy! Also, I think your breakfast choice is not a very good one. I would try to do an egg dish the first couple weeks. You seem to be eating a lot of dairy. Also, your yogurt.. I noticed is nonfat... are there hidden sugars? Make sure the yogurt is PLAIN nonfat yogurt. Also, for snacks I would try to incorporate some raw almonds/cashews. This will be a satisfying snack for you and they actually fill you up pretty quickly. What was in your taco bake? Are you using reduced fat ground beef? Ground turkey/chicken? It does seem like you are having a lot of dairy throughout the day. I would try to minimize the dairy. You need to incorporate more protein and vegetables. You are supposed to have 4 cups of veggies a day. I would suggest something like the following:

brkfst: egg scramble with green peppers, onion, cilanto. Or an omelette or fritatta with broccoli and low fat cheese.

snack: 20 raw almonds/cashews and some celery sticks

lunch: large salad with chicken/tuna salad/chicken salad w/ oil and vin
snack: turkey roll ups/edamame

dinner: 4-6 ounce lean sirloin steak, 2 cups cooked zuccini/peppers/onion/green beans..etc...

dessert: sugar free jello

Also make sure to get your water in! If you dont drink enough water, you will retain it!!

Good luck, POOH!

Last edited by moncheree; 06-26-2009 at 12:25 PM.
moncheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #4  
twinkletwinkle1

I made the taco bake with 97%ff ground turkey breast, and the yogurt is nf plain (sf). I was under the impression that we could have 2c dairy daily. I am so confused. This plan doesn't give you portions, and I think I need them. I don't know how to count the calories in things like the soup I made. When I was on LA weight loss they gave us exact portions I lost 40 pounds. Of course LA is not a lifestyle change thus I gained the weight back. I was thinking of starting it again because I know I will lose. What do I do? I cannot keep gaining weight while I am working so hard. Its daunting. Thanks guys for replying and your support.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #5  

2 cups of dairy? In Phase 1, the book mentions nf milk just enough for coffee... In Phase 2 you can have a cup of nf milk with cereal.. and then conservative portions of dairy throughout the day.. a little cheese on salad, a cheesestick...etc.. I dont believe the dairy is what is neccesarily making you GAIN. It could be that TOM, or retaining water?? I was just mentioning the fact that you do have quite a bit of dairy on your menu. You will be fine, please dont stress!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Whoa! Moncheree, I think you must be looking at the old book. The revised Food List for Phase I has two cups of dairy plus other additions like tomatoes. It's in the FAQ Section. Cheese is not considered dairy on this plan.

Winnie, it WILL happen. Just keep on trucking. You may be retaining water from TOM or salt in your foods. Check out the salt in the cheeses and other foods.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #7  

wow.. im doing all sorts of good in this forum today.. lemme tell ya!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Me too! and I visit other parts of the Forum too! We'll survive.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonniepoohpooh View Post
I am so confused. This plan doesn't give you portions, and I think I need them. I don't know how to count the calories in things like the soup I made. When I was on LA weight loss they gave us exact portions I lost 40 pounds. Of course LA is not a lifestyle change thus I gained the weight back. I was thinking of starting it again because I know I will lose. What do I do?
I know it's hard to wrap your head around the concept of not counting calories/points, etc. on SB. I felt the same way. But it's also a very freeing way to eat and I'm so glad I found it. You will lose weight if you follow the plan and I find it to be the healthiest way I have ever followed. I'd never been advised to eat 4 cups of veggies a day, but I find when you follow this part of it alone, you're too full to overeat on the protein servings, etc.
I also think the use of nuts and healthy oils on SB promotes fullness as well as the fiber I am eating. I have never been so satisfied while losing and don't constantly obsess about food. My cholesterol has also dropped over 30 points. I hope you stick with SB. I know you'll love it when you get more comfortable with this way of eating.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

And visit us on our daily chick chat/phase I posts...*that* was my biggest support network, since I was the only one dieting in the house.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #11  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonniepoohpooh View Post
I made the taco bake with 97%ff ground turkey breast, and the yogurt is nf plain (sf). I was under the impression that we could have 2c dairy daily. I am so confused. This plan doesn't give you portions, and I think I need them. I don't know how to count the calories in things like the soup I made. When I was on LA weight loss they gave us exact portions I lost 40 pounds. Of course LA is not a lifestyle change thus I gained the weight back. I was thinking of starting it again because I know I will lose. What do I do? I cannot keep gaining weight while I am working so hard. Its daunting. Thanks guys for replying and your support.
maybe this will help

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 1

The South Beach Diet™ is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited.
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup.
Fruit: None
Starch: None
Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

LUNCH
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

DINNER

DESSERT
Enjoy a Sweet Treat or any of the snack choices.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 2

In Phase 2, you'll gradually begin to reintroduce healthy starches and carbohydrates into your diet, starting with low-glycemic index ones like oatmeal and couscous, and eventually moving on to high-glycemic ones like fruits and whole-grain bread. The goal is to eat healthy carbs while continuing to lose weight, so pay attention to how they affect you. If your weight loss stalls or cravings return, cut back or try some different carbs and monitor the results. Here's a look at general eating guidelines. Want specific food choices? You can now eat anything from the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy list as well as items from the Phase 2 Foods to Reintroduce list.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

LUNCH
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and dessert are optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 3

By the time you reach Phase 3, you'll know which starches and carbs you can eat without gaining weight, so you'll have already integrated them into your diet. You'll be eating normal foods in normal-size portions, sticking to the good carbs and good fats. There's no list of forbidden foods in Phase 3, however. In other words, if you want it, and it doesn't undo all your sacrifices, you should go ahead and enjoy it! Here's a look at general eating guidelines.

If you'd like to adapt some of your meals to exclude meat, simply choose protein sources such as beans, soy products, lower fat cheese, eggs and egg substitutes, and eat vegetables and nuts for snacks. You can also choose to receive vegetarian-only meal plans, complete with shopping lists, by selecting "vegetarian" in the Profile area.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 3 fruit servings allowed daily.
Starch: 3 to 4 starch servings allowed daily.

LUNCH

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and desserts are optional: Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES

it always helped me...its in the faqs here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56861
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #12  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I'm actually concerned about how little you seem to be eating. At a minimum I'd add the afternoon snack and get some beans in the mix.

Make sure to check the ingredients on the ff sour cream and cheeses. They often have non-SBD friendly ingredients.

At this point just focus on figuring out the program and making healthier choices. Once you get this down the weight loss absolutely will happen for you. I weigh every day, mostly to remind myself how fickle the scale is. I can literally gain 3+ lbs overnight with no change in food intake or exercise. The Phase 1 and Daily forums are great places to get tips and support.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Wonnie, you have a great mix of protein and veggies, and you're doing great with your exercise! It's possible that you're retaining water, so you may want to try to drink more, in between meals and certainly with/after workouts. If your urine is really dark in color, you aren't getting enough. Just a thought.

I think it's quite possible you aren't getting enough calories. Check your daily intake at www.fitday.com or another similar website just to see.

Otherwise, it really does look like you're doing well. I'm not sure that dairy is an issue--the 2 cups rule only applies to yogurt, sour cream, and milk, not to cottage cheese or other cheeses. It is possible, however, that plain yogurt can have sugar (for instance, Wegman's Super Yogurt has sugar in the plain flavor), and that might make you crave and eat more, but it wouldn't explain a gain.

I'm with Ruth...keep trucking and I'm SURE you'll see results. Keep posting, too!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote