South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/See Ticker!/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Whee! First post!

Hi everybody!

This is my first post, but have been snooping around for a few months now What a great forum!

I just started SBD with 60lbs to lose - This is Day 2 and so far so good!

What I'd really like to know is how much success everyone has had with SBD! How long it took, challenges, etc. etc. and before and after weight and/or pictures would be AWESOME as well.

There are so many ways of losing weight, but the reason I chose this was because I may be insulin resistant or pre-pre-diabetic (all the symtoms that Dr. A had mentioned in his book, I'm just a little chubby everywhere, but I've got a quite a gut, the apple-shaped body ). On top of that, I'm sick and tired of trying to find clothes that fit (too big in certain places for the regular stores, not big enough in certain places for plus size stores.. ARGH) I've spent the last 3 years concentrating on a career and not myself, and really let myself go. At 23, when I should be going out and having fun, I choose to stay at home and play video games just because I'm so incredibly self-conscious...

I've known a few people who have had success with WW, I personally did not like counting points and am really looking for a change in lifestyle that is permanent, and counting points just doesn't seem realistic.

Enough babbling from me! I'm looking forward to start this journey with you guys - I need all the help I can get!!
makenopromises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome to SB! We're glad you're here.

I find SB to be so much easier & healthier than what I was eating on WW. I lost about 25# last year (over about 4 months) and have been maintaining since. I lost about 6 inches in my waist and my cholesterol dropped over 30 points. The main challenge to me in the beginning was cooking from scratch a lot more (My family is not complaining) and of course getting all the veggies in. My fear of SB was not being able to control portion sizes and not counting calories or points. I was just sure I wouldn't be able to lose weight on SB. I am happy to say that SB is the easiest, most satisfying way of eating I have ever embarked on and I will be eternally thankful that a friend encouraged me to try it. .

Last edited by murphmitch; 06-16-2009 at 11:16 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW 270/CW 218/ MiniGW 200/

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!! We are apple shaped sisters!!LOL I know exactly what you mean about the clothes-what a headache. This is my 3 day on Phase 1, have lost 2 lbs so far, I know, water weight, but call me crazy I actually feel a difference.
Here's to a good weight loss journey and keep posting!!
glitznvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #4  

Thank you both for the welcome!

Anne -- That's what I noticed so far -- how much pre-planning needs to be done with how nutty my schedule is.. And getting 4 1/2 cups of veggies has been a bit of a challenge, along with the massive amounts of water I've been trying to drink. But.. one step at a time I suppose! I actually planned a whole week ahead before I started Phase 1.

I'm also glad to hear you found it easy, I've been very encouraged by the book itself, it makes a lot of sense and 2 days in, I haven't felt deprived at all. Might be speaking too soon, but really, I ought to be ashamed of myself if I can't keep this up.

Glitz -- Hehe.. It really is the worst isn't it? I was shopping at Target the other day and saw a shirt I really liked, looked good at first, then I turned to my side and saw the view from the surrounding mirrors and almost broke down. Oy! Here's to looking good soon - The best to ya on your journey as well, definitely keep me updated on how it's going since we're pretty much starting at the same time
Old 06-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #5  
KittyKatLady

S/C/G: 160/159/120

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! I'm also 23 and have about 40lbs to lose. As soon as I get off work, I come straight home and don't go out with my friends. I feel uncomfortable and don't wanna go out. So cheers to us losing weight and acting our age!
jlh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, makenopromises! I'm glad you are finding that this way of eating is very easy to follow. Just regular food, but healthier choices!

If you look around on this forum, you'll see several threads with success stories and pictures. And check out our FAQ's and recipe sections, too.

We hope to be hearing from you often, and good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #7  

jhl88 -- I can't wait to be able to feel good about myself again, even 10 lbs would help! Hahaha.. Oh my.. all the troubles of being a woman. Best of luck to you, the hard work will pay off!

cottagebythesea -- Thank you for the welcome! It is easy, though I'm looking forward to phase 2 when I can eat like a human again. Thanks for the tips on looking through the threads, I looked through the "Goal!" Photo album and saw a ton of before and afters, but I didn't know which ones were due to the success of SB.

The FAQs and recipe section has been a saving grace the last 2 days! So many yummy ones to choose from, I may post a few of my own along this experiment
Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Andi and

I'm on the run this morning but I wanted to introduce my self. I'm Debbie (Lexxiss is my chow-hound). She loves to eat, just as I do.

I have been on SB for 6 weeks now. Most of the weight was on my own journey trying to make healthier choices, so I am also reading posts and learning how others are living daily with this plan for eating healthier.

I am also an apple. I really feel that cutting out the whites-sugar and flour, along with adding new healthy foods will be the key to decreasing my waist. It's sometimes frustrating, because as I keep losing, I still have this big belly, but I've never cut out white sugar and flour before.

What I can say is that in 6 weeks I feel much better. I am having fewer lows where the bottom just falls out. I guess that would translate into my blood sugar being more constant. My blood pressure has dropped substantially! I am really thrilled and it is motivation to continue this healthy lifestyle.

Best wishes! I look forward to seeing your posts.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

makeno, here is a link to a recent success stories thread. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172546 Inside this thread there's also a link to some other success stories.

Just wanted to say that you young chicks who want to get their eating in order and make a lifetime commitment to healthy eating are way ahead of the game! Wish I'd been so smart at your age. Welcome to the beach!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Andi! There are a lot of great "success stories" threads on here...just search the forum for "success" and you'll find 'em.

This is a great plan if you think you are insulin resistant and are worried about your heart health. It's also a GREAT way to take good care of yourself after years of neglect, IMHO. Glad you're focusing on you. At 23, you can have a world of fun--hope you can feel less self-conscious soon!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #11  

Thank you Debbie, Schmoodle and Laurie!

I'm glad I'm starting now, though I should've listen to my mother when she was telling me I need to lose some weight about 40lbs ago.. but then again, who listens to mom?! And thank you Schmoodle for the link ~ great inspiration, at least I know it WORKS!

I see that all 3 of you have lost alot of weight on this - it's really amazing being able to see how well this works and how all it takes is a little hard work and dedication (isn't everything about hard work and dedication...) I'm really looking forward to utilizing this forum for my own success.

I just found out today that I'm going to be in a wedding party come March '10 and will be reuniting with friends I haven't seen in 4 years, 5 by then! Even more motivation!! Yay!! My first post and so much help already <3