Beer and spitting Need help

• I know that beer is a definite no-no but due to my job I must taste it. Tough job I know I have a HUGE event where I will be expected to sample 200+ beers on Monday. I usually spit the beer out since ingesting all that alcohol would definitly make me very intoxicated.
    So I guess my question is.... If I spit the beer out it doesnt count, right?

Im just so worried about this.
  • hmm, that's a tough one... I think that since your not ingesting it, and its not going into your system and breaking down into sugar, u should be okay. Kinda funny, I was making mac n cheese for my son a few minutes ago, and I tasted a noodle to make sure it was done, and then i realized what i was doing so i quickly spit it out . I guess if it doesn't count for that, then it doesn't count for spitting out beer, either.
  • I wouldn't sweat it. Spitting it out would be just fine.
  • I agree, I think it should be fine.
  • At wine tastings, you don't swallow, you swill and spit. There are buckets for that purpose! So I'm sure the same applies to beer tasting...
    --(hic)---
    Kira
  • I want to take your job :P lol
  • I just wanted to contribute something because the title of the thread is hysterical .
  • Oh my! I almost spit my coffee - too funny!!!!!

I agree, if you spit it out it should be fine - I have done that many times - and always was sure the effort of spitting it out used more calories than ingesting it
  • Blueeyes, while I hate to say this because you can hardly avoid doing your job, I do think it's a problem. Some things can, I believe, enter your bloodstream from your mouth--that's why some medicines are absorbed by letting them disolve under your tongue--and sugar is one of them, I think. I say this because I've had meds (like Oscillococcinum) that are made mostly of sugar and dissolve under the tongue, and they can make me feel a little jittery.

That said, I think if you went to a beer tasting and spit out five or ten mouthfuls of beer, it probably wouldn't really affect you. 200, though, is a HUGE difference, and I think it could be a big problem. Some things you may want to do, besides hitting P1 for 3-5 days after that, are to make sure you have some protein whenever you get a break (it'll help stablize your blood sugar), and pay a lot of attention to how you feel.

I'd love to find some links about this, but to be honest, I have no idea where I'd even start looking. So I could be totally wrong (and I hope I am!). Just take care and be ready to do P1 for 3-5 days if it does give you cravings later.