Split Pea Soup

• Split pea soup is phase 1 friendly... correct?

Mine has: dried split peas, low sodium chicken broth, celery, onions, thyme, ham, black pepper.

Is there a limit on this? I thought split peas were kinda high carb.
  • Your split pea soup is just fine for Phase 1, Lyn. Yum, split pea soup is a favorite of mine and so satisfying.

And don't worry about the carbs, legumes are the good carbs we should be eating.
  • And I'm having some for breakfast right now!
  • I wish I had some right now. I'd rather have that for breakfast than my oatmeal.
  • Wow, I'm shocked! I didn't pay much attention, probably because I greatly dislike peas (unless they're in a pod), but I thought unshelled peas weren't allowed in P1 or 2. I know Ruth and Cottage are super-smart about this stuff and I'm sure they're right, but I'm confused, as I thought peas were very high in starch. Is there something different about split peas?
  • I'm not sure, Laurie, and I don't have time to look it up but I'm thinking this may be another one of those things that changed since we first started doing this.
  • The Ph1 list shows "Snap Peas" and "Snow Peas" to be ok, but green peas not. I just completely missed that one! The updated Ph2 list shows green peas 1/2 cup to be acceptable.

Does anyone have a Split Pea Soup recipe without ham for us vegematarians? I LOVE it, and I have an entire bag of split peas!!!
  • Laurie, I think split peas are allowed because they are considered a legume, rather than a vegetable.

Lisa, I make my vegetarian split pea soup with soy chorizo. It gives it that right amount of smoky taste, and is fantastic!
  • weezle, you could also add a bit of liquid smoke, but it's also good without any kind of meat-like substance at all. I make plain old split pea soup all the time.
  • A trick I learned from one of Barefoot Contessa's books is to leave about a cup of split peas and toss them in about 35 minutes before the soup is finished, that way you get a bit of a crunchy taste instead of all mush.
    Sophie
  • Cottage what do you do with the chorizo?
  • Quote: Cottage what do you do with the chorizo?
    I just brown it with onions in the crockpot with a little Pam spray before adding the split peas and veggie broth.