South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #1  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

Default Exercise on P1?

So here's my story...

Saturday night I suddenly got the urge to exercise. I was starting back on SB in a couple days, not just because I don't want to be so heavy, but because I'm feeling horribly out of shape and unhealthy. So I used the Gazelle (simple home elliptical) for about 25 minutes, and sort of just messed around with some strength training... did a few crunches, a few squats, a few side leg-lifts, and lifted weights. I have no real training in how to do most of this.

Monday night I hurt my back. Badly. As in, I've hardly done anything for days. And after reading in another thread that increasing your exercise level during phase one is not advised, I'm wondering if this has something to do with it, or at least with how slowly I'm recovering. I only started P1 on Monday, so my body couldn't have been THAT carb-deprived yet, right? But maybe the continuing lack of carbs is why it's still hurting??

Anyways, can anyone advise me on this? I'm still hurting, and it's more than 2 days later, so I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I've been making a point not to strain it further if I can help it, so I don't think that's it.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #2  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I don't think it has anything to do with Ph1. Usually, and anyone can jump in, but the reason why exercise increase isn't advised is because of lower calorie intake and the lack of good carbs (like whole wheat, etc)...so typically you are more tired than before.

Can you get to a doctor? Maybe you just did too much too fast? I know when I was a gym member, I always did too much to fast on the ellipticals!

Good luck and feel better.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #3  
Getting fit and healthy!

Thanks for your advice. It's improving, but slowly. If it's not fine by next week, I'll probably have it checked out.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Betsi, I'd have it checked out now. Honestly. Back injuries are nothing to mess with. Things that happen when you are young can seriously impact you when you get older. You need to know what you did and how serious it is. Try to see a sports physician, if you can.

I agree with Jen--this isn't likely to have anything to do with P1. The reason she mentioned is exactly right. Usually people are far too tired to increase their workouts in P1. But it shouldn't lead to injuries.

Before you start exercising again, check with the chicks in the exercise forum (there are some really smart people there!), look at the videos on how to do exercises on YouTube, and/or read about how to correctly do exercises online, okay? Especially with things like squats, it's really important to do them correctly or you may hurt yourself.

One good rule of thumb is that any time you raise your arms above your shoulders, suck in your stomach to protect your back.

Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by beachgal; 03-27-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #5  
Getting fit and healthy!

Thanks Laurie. My personal situation is such that it's very hard to see a doctor, but I will try. I doubt I can be seen til at least next week and by then I expect it will be better.

Thing is, it wasn't the exercise on Saturday that did it. I think it contributed to it, left me more sore than I realized. But I wasn't exercising Monday, per se.... shall we just say my boyfriend was with me at the time? (Why isn't there a more embarrassed smilie than this??) So... I don't think a sports medicine guy can tell me what I did wrong.
Closed Thread