South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

Default First Week of Phase 2 :(

So I just weighed in after week one of phase 2, and I lost... zero. nothing. ouch.

I've followed the program perfectly so far... I added back apples, and ate one just about every day, but nothing else. The apples didn't cause cravings or make me extra hungry (although I swapped apples for berries this week, just in case). I slacked on the gym a little (only made it two times), but I live in a city where my primary mode of transit is walking, so I am far from sedentary.

I lost six pounds on phase 1, which is more than 20% of my goal, so I am pleased with that. Just chalking this up to an off week... I've been having tummy troubles, so I'll assume that is the culprit. Any ideas of how I can keep on keepin' on?

Thanks all!
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

You have a relatively small amount to lose and had a relatively big loss in Phase 1 so it just may come off slowly. A lot of people have a couple of slow weeks after finishing Phase 1. Just hang in there and keep doing what you're doing
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

It took my body a few weeks of phase 2 to interpret what I was doing. My glycogen stores went way up and I ended up gaining a few pounds...which promptly came off in the next few weeks. As long as you aren't eating an obscene amount of calories, any gains will be simply coincidental.

I wouldn't worry about it.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #4  

Thanks for the support... I don't count calories, but I am 100% sure that I am eating considerably less than pre-south beach. If the lack of weight loss continues, I might give calorie counting a shot, but I am afraid that will contradict everything I really like about SBD (unlike WW, I don't think about food 24/7!). I'll just try and be patient...
Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Be patient. I didn't always lose every week after starting Phase II, but over the long run, I did very well. Don't let one week get you discouraged. You may have some weeks where you don't lose and others where you happily surprised at the loss.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I gained a lb the first week of phase II, but eventually started going the other way. I too was very upset....it's hard to be patient when Phase I you dropped so much so fast.

You'll do great!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Keep going with it. I was frustrated and did either an apple OR whole wheat tortilla every other day and lost nothing. I tried 2 things every day and lost a pound. So who knows!

Hang in there!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #8  
Reluctant Adult

Hi, swandive81,

Just keep on keepin' on. I'm in my second week of Phase II, and I weigh myself each morning at about the same time of day. Here's what happened this week:

First day, down .4 lb.

Second day, down another .2 lb.

Third day, down another .2 lb. (woo!!)

Fourth day, UP .8 lb! (Yikes!! Back where I started!!)

Didn't panic.

Fifth day, down 1 lb.

Sixth day, Down 2.0 lbs!

I figure if I'm doing what I'm supposed to, it will work. And I'm sure it will for you, too!

Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #9  

Thanks all

I actually introduced a very high-fiber cereal this morning, along with my berries. I know it's breaking the rules a bit, but I figured a little extra fiber won't hurt. Also, looking back on my meals last week, I think I skimped on the veggies a bit, so I am trying to be more aware of that.

I'll let you know how the weigh-in goes on tuesday
Old 01-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 199/190/130

Just stick with it! It will start coming off eventually. I'm a South Beach dieter too (not my first time) and after the first few weeks of losing, I always hit that plateau as well. If you're like me - getting on that scale and seeing that you haven't lost anything after a week of dieting is... well, discouraging, to say the least. If it's got you down, just skip the scale! Appreciate the fact that your clothing isn't as tight, stick with the diet plan, and don't get on the scale for another 2 weeks. You should see a difference then.
RedE2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

on the loss in Phase 1! With so little to lose, you did amazingly well!

I echo the sentiments of the other posters. Be patient and give it time. You'll see loss soon.

However, don't underestimate the importance and impact of exercise on your loss. It really has a tremendous impact--it's a lot easier to burn the calories off through exercise than it is to eat less of them. And you continue to burn calories even after your workout is over, especially if you gain muscle (like in strength training). So I think if you exercise your normal amount this week, it'll really help you be more satisfied with the scale (and will help your health and mood, too! ).

You'll find more inspiration, tips, and info in the What's your P2 Combo? thread in the FAQ.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

If you aren't eating enough, (ie protein and veggies) your body might be storing what it has in case it thinks you aren't planning on feeding it any time soon. so,just eat enough, get your dairy and your beans, and it should kick in soon enough that, 1) no, you aren't starving and 2) you'd like to drop a few pounds, please! that said, if its the week before or of my monthly, i don't lose at all, but then afterwards I'll weigh in at least 2 pounds less than before that whole mess started. so if that is the case, don't sweat it, and check back in with the scale after your time has passed.
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #13  

OK, week 2 and still nothing. Fortunately, I am seeing some progress at the gym (I can jog for a few minutes now, and my arms look pretty good), so that's enough to keep me going. Still, I have no idea what I can be doing wrong! I even left a superbowl party at halftime (after bruce, of course) to go home and eat a SBD-friendly dinner!!!

Anyway, here is my strategy:
1. Cut back on cheese. I am not counting calories, and I don't think I am consuming more than maybe 1,500 a day, but who knows? And cheese is a likely culprit, so I'll give it a shot
2. If that doesn't work, I think I may switch my gym time to the AM next week. As it is, I'm not getting home from work/gym until after 8:00, and am not eating dinner until close to 9AM. I know the jury is out on whether eating late has any effect on weight loss, but--again--can't hurt to experiment.

Any other suggestions?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 176/161.5/125

Height: 5'2"

I'm on my 2nd week of PH2, I lost 0lb on the 1st week and 1lb on the 2nd. I lost 8lb on PH1, so I was thrown off when I didn't shed any weight. Instead of apples, I added 1/2 cup berries every morning.

I joined calorie counters and use a diet journal so I can be sure that I am not undereating. My caloric intake still hovers around ~1000 cals, but I should be eating ~1200.
redflatshoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Redflatshoe2, you need to eat more than 1200 to lose weight...and to stay healthy, which is much more important. Please be very careful with that. Not only is it terribly unhealthy to eat less than 1200 cals/day, it's very likely to lead you to cheating and falling off plan as it's way too restrictive.

Swandive, you may want to consider entering your daily food into an online calculator like www.fitday.com to help you figure out if you need to eat more rather than less. You might also want to post a daily menu so we can take a look at what you're eating and make suggestions.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote