3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   corn? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/161823-corn.html)

me4life 01-17-2009 09:41 AM

corn?

where does it fit

cottagebythesea 01-17-2009 09:55 AM

Corn is very limited in Phase 2, meaning you should only eat it rarely. It's high in sugar and starch.

thinking thin 01-21-2009 01:09 PM

I am an active member of the southbeachdiet.com webpage which contains all the up to date information.

Corn is on the list of foods to avoid for phases 1 AND 2.

Once you move to phase 3, you can reintroduce any food that does not cause cravings in you.

The only exception is popcorn. On phase 2, you are allowed 3 cups of air-popped popcorn per day and it counts as a starch serving.

Ruthxxx 01-21-2009 02:56 PM

Yes, popcorn IS allowed on Phase II. See the Phase II Food List in the FAQ Section.

thinking thin 01-22-2009 09:47 AM

If you read my message, I said CORN is not approved for phase 2 and the exception is that POPCORN is allowed.

Ruthxxx 01-22-2009 09:59 AM

Of course I read your message. As a MOD, I read everything. I was just making sure folks knew we have popcorn on the list in here.

beachgal 01-22-2009 10:33 AM

ThinkingThin, I think Ruth was just reiterating what you said. No reason to be upset. :)

I think the thing that confuses some people is that in the Good Fats, Good Carbs Guide (GFGCG), it lists corn as "Very Limited" for Phases 2 and 3. I don't have the GFGCG in front of me, but I remember that in trying to figure out what the listings (i.e. limited, very limited, etc.) meant, we decided as a group that "very limited" probably meant "one serving, once a month."

Of course, you can play with this to see how you react. Corn is, as Cottage said, high in starch and sugar. So it can be very easy to have a reaction. Popcorn is high in fiber and you are likely to eat it more slowly, so maybe that's why it's okay in P2? :?:

merryalta 01-22-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachgal (Post 2568208)
ThinkingThin, Popcorn is high in fiber and you are likely to eat it more slowly, so maybe that's why it's okay in P2? :?:

Popcorn is also sugar free. I think I read that it is a different corn? The corn we eat is sweet corn and popcorn isn't? Don't quote me on that, I can't remember where I read it. Now I want popcorn!:D

murphmitch 01-22-2009 07:15 PM

I keep hoping with all the recent news about "resistant starch" being healthy and helpful for weightloss, that Dr. A will change his philosophy about corn on SBD. I miss not having it regularly.

grneyedmustang 01-22-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphmitch (Post 2569481)
I keep hoping with all the recent news about "resistant starch" being healthy and helpful for weightloss, that Dr. A will change his philosophy about corn on SBD. I miss not having it regularly.

I miss corn too...especially on the grill in the spring and summer....yum!