3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Helpful tips for men going on SB? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/160318-helpful-tips-men-going-sb.html)

halloweengirl 01-04-2009 09:52 PM

Helpful tips for men going on SB?

Hi Ladies,

I hope/know that the men in our lives are supportive, and hopefully, going on SB with us (if they need to, but it's healthy for everyone, really), but my FBIL (Future Brother in Law) needs some help. My husband is OK so long as he can have avocados, LOL (He REALLY loves his avocados, LOL) in P1 and eventually add back in the good carbs (of course he can), and on P3, have a tater on occasion, but my FBIL practically had a panic attack when my sis firmly, repeatedly told him that potatoes and juices are pretty much outlawed unless you are "cheating" in P2, and then only very limited in P3. Now he only needs to lose 30-40 lbs (sis is like me, losing 100+), but I love my taters and fruit flavors too, and I felt bad for the poor guy. Although he liked the cauliflower mash I served them last night (They have already started P1, so I made a P1 dinner for the 5 of us, nephew included). I also introduced him to Crystal Light and WM's brand of sugar free "fruit drink" powders last night.

Any tips for meat & potatoes dudes! I have to help this poor guy, and he's driving my sister nuts, LOL.

murphmitch 01-04-2009 10:13 PM

Well my husband loves sweet potatoes as much as white ones, so he just eats those on Phase II. He pretty much just eats whatever I do.

WebRover 01-04-2009 10:39 PM

He can have one serving of V-8 daily. He can eat the fruit instead of the juice (Phase 2). Oranges and grapefruit are staples here.

In addition to baked sweet potatoes, you can slice them like french fries and roast them - or chunk them and roast them. (roasting is lightly tossing in oil and baking at high heat)

Heh heh - the trick is converting him to a "lean meat & veggies" guy!

cottagebythesea 01-05-2009 06:56 AM

HalloweenGirl, my DH and I started SBD together, and he didn't mind it too much. He's very much a meat & potatoes man, and very stuck in his ways, but he was satisfied with his meals and lost 16 lbs in Phase 1. He ate lean cuts of meat, and filled the rest of his plate with lots of legumes and vegetables, and we always had a soup or salad with our meals. Breakfast for him was usually 3 eggs, 2 slices of Canadian bacon, and cottage cheese. For snacks, he loved celery sticks with a slice of lean ham lunchmeat wrapped around it, and deviled or hard-boiled eggs. When we graduated to Phase 2, he would always enjoy 2 slices of whole wheat toast with his breakfast, a sandwich for lunch with a piece of fruit, and had a baked or mashed sweet potato or a cup of pasta with his supper. He would go through a lot of SF jello and cheese sticks throughout the day, too. :)