South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #121  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

I just started Twlight myself. I wasn't going to do it, but then an extra long wait at the car repair shop forced my hand. So far, so good. Really early on.
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #122  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

why did you get me out? it's the story of this guy who was a POW during the vietnam war. it's reallllyyy good!
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #123  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I am just at the beginning as well, it looks like it is going to be a pretty easy read. I wanted to see the movie but everyone who seen it told me to read the books first. I think I will go curl up in bed and read know. Since wed night is crappy tv.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #124  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Kriterion! I’d love the perks of a job like that! One of the hosts of a podcast I used to enjoy spoke fondly of her time working at a Toyota factory because she was able to listen to tons of books on tape (and, eventually, CD) while working. She was very well read! Audible is way too expensive for me, unfortunately, but I get a lot of books on CD at the library. If you live near a Cracker Barrel, they also have a books on CD program where you buy the first one and can then exchange it (maybe for a nominal fee?) for another when you’re done. It’s a great way to get some extra reading in! I listen in the car and find that it makes me much happier to drive than I would be otherwise. I’ve looked at the back of The Time Traveler's Wife so many times, but just can’t bring myself to read it. What was it that you liked about it?

LC!

Noodles! Sounds like an interesting perspective! I can’t do stories about war, though. They just make me far too sad.

Me:
I finished Edgar Sawtelle and just hated the ending. It was totally awful and made me think, "What was the point of all of this???". Considering the build up of a more than 550 page book, it really was a let down. I think it may be due to the authors idiotic need to follow the plot of Hamlet. I don't know why he did that--the book would have been just as good (better, in fact, I think!) without that. Anyways, I'd recommend the book, but ignore the ending and create your own!

I then read a book I picked up at random in the new books section at the library: Ms. Hempel Chronicles by Sarah Shun-lien Bynum. It was fabulous! The story is basically about the life and experiences (mostly positive or funny) of a young woman teaching middle school. The writing was amazing, and though it is really hard to describe, it was kind of like reading a very long series of haikus that tell a story. There wasn't an excess of description or anything, but there was more than enough detail to understand what was happening. You had the sense, more than once, that you'd just read a little jewel of a poem/story. I adored it and look forward to reading more from Shun-lien Bynum!

I'm now working on the other book I plucked from the "new books" shelf: The First Person and Other Stories by Ali Smith. It's amazing, too! Ali Smith is a fantastic writer and her stories are really insightful, funny, and interesting. I hope to read more by her in the future, too. I have a couple more stories to go, then it's on to Book by Book: Notes on Reading and Life by Michael Dirda, which my friend Jenni made me promise to read. She's reading Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman on my recommendation, so this is what she proposed I read in return. Should be great--Jenni has wonderful taste in books!

I'm still listening to The Sunday Philosophy Club on CD. It's almost through. I enjoy the characters enough to try another one, but as mysteries go, it's very slow moving. Are the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency books like that, too? The thing I find oddest about it is that even though the main character talks about her philosophy club, she notes that they haven't met in a long time because no one seems to be free on Sundays. I'm on the next-to-last disk and they haven't met once, nor have any of the members been described, but that's the name of the series! I think that's very strange.

What are you reading?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #125  
Jenny

S/C/G: 319/309/150

Height: 5'4

Alrighty chix?! I just finished Les Miserables. It was a re-read...I read it when I was thirteen and a few times after that. I found it at the back of the hall closet and decided it was quite ready for another dive. If you haven't ever read it, I highly recommend it. Even if you've never seen/heard the musical...you should give it a go. xo
elusivekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #126  

I haven't been here for a whole month!
and now I'm back, not because I'm back on SBD, but because of the books.

And it looks like it's been a very good month for me for reading, though not for me being caught up at work.

I read:
Where You Once Belonged by Kent Haruf
Plainsong by Kent Haruf
Eventide by Kent Haruf
The Help by Kathryn Sockett

and these YA books (though I have yet to understand what makes something a YA book):
Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins
The Dust of 100 Dogs by A. S. King
Deadline by Chris Crutcher
Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess
The Night Tourist by Katherine Marsh
Forever by Judy Blume
The Book Thief
The Wild Girls by Pat Murphy
The Knife of Never Letting Go
11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass
rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 338 / 302 / 238

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
Kriterion! I’d love the perks of a job like that! One of the hosts of a podcast I used to enjoy spoke fondly of her time working at a Toyota factory because she was able to listen to tons of books on tape (and, eventually, CD) while working. She was very well read! Audible is way too expensive for me, unfortunately, but I get a lot of books on CD at the library. If you live near a Cracker Barrel, they also have a books on CD program where you buy the first one and can then exchange it (maybe for a nominal fee?) for another when you’re done. It’s a great way to get some extra reading in! I listen in the car and find that it makes me much happier to drive than I would be otherwise. I’ve looked at the back of The Time Traveler's Wife so many times, but just can’t bring myself to read it. What was it that you liked about it?

LC!
I get some from the library too when my credits are up at audible. I have a hard time driving to work with nothing to listen too, so I don't mind the expense.

It's tough to describe what I like about the book. I listened to the audiobook first and they have two different readers, a male and female, portraying the two main characters. It was almost like listening to a movie it was so well done. The time travelling itself is portrayed rather realistically, without being over complicated in paradox and all that normal crap. My wife is not a sci-fi fan, as far as reading, and it's one of her favorite books. I wish I could describe it better. It's supposed to be released as a movie next year I believe too.

I guess while I'm here, I'll add another one to the list. "Dewey the Library Cat" is a good one if you're a cat lover. His mug on the cover was hard to resist, so I picked it up recently. We have four of the little boogers, so a lot of it hit home.
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #128  
I can do this!

Hey, Rebel! Welcome back! We've missed you. How's the eating going? Looks like you were on quite the Kent Haruf kick! I take it his books are good? What do you like about them?

Jenny, I haven't read the book but loved the musical. I should read the book someday!

Kriterion, I'll have to try it in audiobook format. You never know when I new format might make something more palatable! I finally got through The Hobbit by reading it in graphic novel format.

I'm almost done with The First Person--I'm halfway through the last story and don't want to finish because then I'll be done with the book! I keep reminding myself that there are other books by her to read, but it's hard to let go of this one!

I have my bookclub meeting tonight to discuss Edgar Sawtelle. I printed off a bunch of comments from other sites and blogs about how much others hated the ending too. Hope I'm not the only one in my group that feels that way!

Just found a newspaper clipping in my work bag with a list of new books for the fall. Oops! I'd highlighted a few and wondered if any of you have read them?

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire
A Mercy by Toni Morrison
Fine Just the Way it Is by E. Annie Proulx
Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #129  

Kent Haruf - the first 2 books on that list were excellent. Unique writing style, which I liked. the 3rd book was bleak, really bleak.

The best book I read recently was The Help by Kathryn Sockett. It was just released in February. I'd been waiting since a friend of mine read and advance review copy last fall. It's really wonderful.
Amazon says this:
Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. What perfect timing for this optimistic, uplifting debut novel (and maiden publication of Amy Einhorn's new imprint) set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Miss., where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia Skeeter Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing about what disturbs you. The budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women on whom the country club sets relies and mistrusts enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams. Assured and layered, full of heart and history, this one has bestseller written all over it.
ETA:
Quote:
I'm almost done with The First Person--I'm halfway through the last story and don't want to finish because then I'll be done with the book! I keep reminding myself that there are other books by her to read, but it's hard to let go of this one!
I've done this: had books that you can't put down because they're so good, but you don't want them to end because they're so good...

Last edited by beachgal; 03-25-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: If you want to add something to a post you've already written, just hit the "Edit" button
Old 03-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #130  
I can do this!

Oooh, Rebel, The Help sounds absolutely delicious! Plus, it makes connections to the things I loved about Secret Life of Bees. I'll have to check it out! Thank you!

I finished The First Person and it was good to the last word. I'm picking up her book The Accidental today on CD at the library. Can't wait! I'm on to Book by Book--only a page or two in so far.

ETA: So far, The Accidental is disappointing. Lots of the ramblings of an insecure 12yo girl's mind. I hope it picks up...

Last edited by beachgal; 03-30-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Can you believe our thread was in the middle of page 2?! Is anyone out there anymore? Are we still reading?

I've been slow on my reading. I bought The House That Cleans Itself: Creative Solutions for a Clean and Orderly House in Less Time Than You Can Imagine by Mindy Starns Clark and have been reading that rather slowly. I like her method and her ideas, but I don't think I'm as bad off as the reader she aimed the book towards. I may use some of her ideas for getting home improvement projects done and for hiding everyday clutter, though.

I'll probably finish that this weekend. After that, I really don't know where I'm going to go with my reading.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #132  
I can do this!

Kim, I'm reading like crazy and have a stack of TBR books...it's insane! I did post again, but didn't want to post after my previous, and an edit doesn't bump the thread up, so...

Your book sounds like something I should read. I'm a horrible housekeeper with a major clutter issue!

I'm currently working through Book by Book. I have Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella to read by book club on April 22nd, but I also have a copy of The Help, which I'm dying to read. It's a new book, which means the library only lets it out for a week, and it's huge...so I'm not sure if I can gamble on reading it before CYKAS, but if I wait, I may have to return it and wait forever to get it back. Decisions!

I'm listening to Ali Smith's The Accidental on CD and while it's finally getting somewhere (after two discs of "stream of consciousness" rambling...), I'm less than impressed. I have a feeling that Smith shines in short stories for reasons that make her writing unsuited to long novels. But we'll see...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #133  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Oh Rebel, I loved Plainsong but also wasn't crazy about Eventide. I thought it was because I listened to them on CD and the narrator wasn't nearly as expressive in Eventide. Glad to know it wasn't just me!

I've not read too much lately, but I did finish I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (LOVED IT!) and Churched by Matthew Paul Turner. I'm also reading a little Christian chicklit book before I move onto the next thing. (Don't know what that would be.)
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #134  

Jessie, I loved Where You Once Belonged by Kent Haruf, more than Plainsong and much much more than Eventide. It's the first one I read. It's actually a sequel to Plainsong, which I didn't know either when I read it or when I later read Plainsong - so it clearly stands on its own. Beautiful. I think if I'd read Eventide first, I never would have read another of his books. There, have I given my opinion strongly enough?

Last edited by rebel; 04-04-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #135  

I just read a series by Megan Whalen Turner. The Thief, followed by The Queen of Attolia then The King of Attolia.
Two friends who share my tastes in books are absolutely RAVING over them and can't wait for the fourth, which is rumored to be planned sometime in 2010. I'm not quite as enthusiastic. The Thief was great - I couldn't put it down - but the Queen and the King didn't grab me as much.
It's sort of adventure fantasy, in a setting similar in ways to ancient Greece though the gods in this world are not the Greek gods.
School Library Journal lists it as for 6th grade and up. My library had them in the "young adult" section, and the people who are raving over this are adults.

Maybe I'm just in a book doldrum, because I then read Laurie Notaro's The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death: Reflections on Revenge, Germophobia, and Laser Hair Removal . Just not as hilariously funny as her previous essay collections, I thought, though many Amazon readers and my RAVING friend mentioned in the previous paragraph thought this was the best ever.

Last edited by rebel; 04-04-2009 at 11:07 AM.