South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #106  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Jenski, I'm glad to hear that the Prospect Street author's book was fairly good. Isn't it hard to find another book you like as much as the first one, sometimes? It does seem like everyone's talking about Twilight. I just don't get that, though.

Diva, I really like Confessions of a Shopaholic and the series, though the main character drives me nuts sometimes because she does the stupidest things. Seems to be a part of Kinsella's books, in general. I wonder if the movie will be good? I'm not a fan of Great Gatsby, but it's one of those books you just have to read once. Kind of like the "lima bean" of books, IMHO.

Zeffryn, maybe you need a book of short stories--then you can put it down and pick it back up without losing much. The only one I can think of right now is Interpreter of Maladies, by Jhumpa Lahiri. It's a wonderful book, but I wouldn't call it "light" or "easy reading" or anything like that. However, the stories are fairly short.

Como Agua Para Chocolate (Like Water For Chocolate) is one of my all-time favorite reads ever!!! I read it in one sitting in the college library. I picked it off the "new" shelf and sat down to read the first few pages as a diversion. I didn't get up until I'd finished, with tears running down my face. It's just SOOOO good. The movie (in original language with subtitles, please) is phenomenal, too. I liked Astrid and Veronika, but I did find a few parts of it very dark and disturbing. Still, I'm very glad I read it. Just thinking about it makes me hungry for strawberries, Kim!

I finished Size 12 Is Not Fat and, overall, liked it. The heroine redeemed herself somewhat at the end. She's a bit like a Kinsella character...you get mad at her because she does dumb things, but you can't help but like her because you can see yourself in her, too. Worth a try--the mystery was definitely fun and kept me guessing to the end.

I'm currently listening to The Sunday Philosopher's Club. It's the first in a new(er) series by the author of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books. I never really could get into those (do any of you read them?), but the second book in this series seems intriguing, so I'm listening to the first in preparation. So far, so good!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #107  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
Jen, I've been wanting to read that Jon and Kate book. Let me know how it is. The waiting list at the library is a mile long. I might just have to buckle down and buy it if it would be worth the read.
Zeff, I would just wait. I don't think this one is worth buying. It is an interesting read. They are way more spiritual than I gathered from watching the show. It is a nice background to what you see on TV, but I don't see it being worth actually owning.
I am debating on starting the Twlight series or digging thru the bag of books my friend gave me. The bag contains Firefly Lane (Kristin Hannah), In Search Of Eden (Linda Nichols), Pack Up The Moon (Anna McPartlin) and The Last Summer of You and Me (Ann Brashares).
Anything sound familiar? Suggestions on which one to start first??
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #108  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I'm headed to the bookstore in a few minutes. I'm thinking of picking up Like Water For Chocolate. I've had others recommend it as well. I think I'm also going to pick up Prospect Street because so many of you liked it.

I'll forgo Jon and Kate for now.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

A dear friend just gave me an oldie but goodie, Mrs. Mike, by Benedict and Nancy Freedman. I saw the movie years ago and remembered loving it. They say the book is always better than the movie, so I'm ready for a good read!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #110  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I picked up Like Water For Chocolate, which I'll start reading after I finish Tiny Titan.

Tiny Titan is an autobiography about a family of 5 whose 6th child was born with a rare disorder. It tells of their trials and what they did to overcome.

I'm about halfway through and it has really tugged at my heart. Made me appreciate my family more than I already do.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Zeffryn, I agree with the Jon & Kate book. I borrowed it from my mom who got it for free as a write-off from a Christian book store. I hope you enjoy Like Water for Chocolate!

I finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle this afternoon. I really, really enjoyed the book and it did compel me to make some modest changes to our food purchases. Being out in the desert of West Texas, it's hard to even consider the option of becoming a "locavore", but I will do what I can! The writing style made me nostalgic, for what, I don't know, but nostalgic nontheless. There were parts of the book that I disagreed with, more on science than on emotion, but those parts were few and far between. I'll definitely suggest this book to friends!

I'm going to put down the computer and start reading Coraline by Neil Gaiman right after I finish posting this.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #112  

Okay. I finished Coraline last night. It wasn't a long read; took me about an hour. I read it because I want to see the movie. I just don't know what to think of it. The writing seemed befitting a fairly young person, maybe 8 - 10 years old, but the story seemed like it would be too scary for a child that age. Maybe I'm just behind the times, but I really don't recall reading anything that scary until I was a teenager. It was, though, a very interesting book and a thrilling adventure for Coraline. I still want to see the movie, but I don't think I would recommend it to any children any time soon.

I'm moving on to Prospect Street tonight! The buzz about this book got me intrigued, so I got it from booksfree.

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 03-08-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #113  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I just got finished reading Tantalize -- a sort of Twilight with a dash of Harry Potter thrown in. Very cute. Oh I read Hoot & Flush last week (also cute) and and now reading Jodi Piccult's Change of Heart.

Kim I wanted to see Coraline --let me know which was better
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #114  
I can do this!

Jenne, let me know what you think of Change of Heart. I really liked it. You watch Grey's, right? I found a lot of connections between Change of Heart and the storyline with Eric Stoltz (who is just dreamy, even when playing an evil, evil character...). Picoult can be such a fabulous read! There are a couple more of hers I'm really dying to dig into--the Tenth Circle is one, but I'm forgetting the name of the other right now. I think it's the ghost story one that takes place in Vermont.

Jenski, I read The Summer of You and Me, but I'm having trouble remembering it right now. I think it was pretty satisfying. Is it really by Ann Brasheres? I didn't catch that at the time. I love her Sisterhood books. I haven't read the others, though. Most of the people I know who read the Twilight series got through all four books in less than 3 days. Shouldn't be hard to do, if you do decide to get into it first.

Cottage, what's Mrs. Mike about? It sounds intriguing! BTW, did you ever see the old movie, "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir?" (I know, my ADD strikes again! ). It's such a great movie! I read a wonderful ghost story romance that was inspired by the movie and so I had to see it, too. Definitely worth the time.

Zeff, I envy you reading Como Agua...it's so romantic and funny and wonderful. That's one I wouldn't mind rereading. When you're done, grab DH and sit down to watch the movie (the one with the subtitles...the voices in the dubbed version are awful, so they spoil it!).

Kim, I'm really intrigued by Coraline. Have you read anything else by Gaiman? I read the first two books in the Sandman chronicles and had to stop because they were so seriously disturbing. I really loved his writing style and his artwork is amazing, but it was all wayyyyyy too much for me. I can see how Coraline could be like that, only on a smaller scale, for kids. I'd like to see the movie, though. I agree with you about A,V, M being nostalgic. It made me want to move to a farm in the middle of a valley with my (nonexistent, as yet) kids. It also reminded me of the descriptions of Laura Ingalls Wilder's farm on Rocky Ridge. It was really well-written and fascinating. Glad you liked it, too!

I'm on the same books, though I'm almost done with Edgar Sawtelle and very relieved that the "survivor" part of the book was very short. It took a neat turn and I'm enjoying it. However, several other people didn't get very far with it, so we had to move the book club meeting to the 23rd. Oy! I wonder if I'll remember as much then?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Laurie, Mrs. Mike" is the story of a young girl from Boston who goes to live with her uncle in Alberta, Canada to help her pleurisy. She falls in love and marries a sargeant in the Canadian Mounted Police and follows him into the northern wilderness and they manage to live a good, honest life in the wild, unforgiving land."
I could never get into the TV version of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", so I'm not sure whether I'd like the movie version or not.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #116  
I can do this!

Wow, I had NO idea there was a TV version! I assume it wouldn't have been particularly good if it wasn't absorbing. The movie's hilarious and very absorbing--mostly due to the actor and actress who played the main characters.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #117  

Laurie: Nope, that's the first Gaiman I've read. I doubt I could handle anything adult-oriented from him. His children's literature was disturbing enough. I honestly read it because the movie is directed by one of my favorite stop-motion animation directors and I wanted to get the story first. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I still haven't started Prospect Street. It's sitting on the bedside table, but I've been too tired to reach for it the past few nights and have just gone straight to sleep instead.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm reading The Firemaster's Mistress, which I picked up at a discount store. I was a little leery because the title makes it sound like a romance novel, but the cover had a favorable review by Phillipa Gregory, so I bought it. It's pretty good, a fictionalized account of Guy Fawkes's Gunpowder and Treason conspiracy.
I got Dragonfly in Amber and The Reader from Paperbackswap, so I also started re-reading Outlander before I start D in A, because it's been a while since I read it.

I haven't read those books, Laurie, thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to watch for them.
Diva, Gatsby is one of my all-time favorites!
zeff, I'll third the recommendation of Water for Chocolate. Another of my all-time faves.
Kim and Jen, thanks for the reminder, I want to get Coraline for DH's birthday (the book). We loved the movie. Technically, it was pretty amazing.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 03-17-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 338 / 302 / 238

Height: 5'9"

I have a 30 minute each way commute (used to be one hour!) AND my job allows me to listen to an iPod with headphones while working. I found a great site a few years ago called Audible.com that lets me get two audiobooks every month for 30 bucks I think it is. Needless to say I go through a ton of books, usually one every 3 or 4 days.

I mostly enjoy: Science fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Mystery, Thriller etc.

HOWEVER, I stumbled across a romance book rather by accident. I'm not even sure how I learned about it, but I recommend it to everyone who enjoys reading. When I first met my wife I wasn't sure if she would like it and now it's her favorite book that SHE recommends to everyone.

Here's the blurb on it:
The Time Traveler's Wife is a 2003 novel by Audrey Niffenegger. It is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences. The story is set in Chicago and South Haven, Michigan.
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #120  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I just started twilight.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote