South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #91  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

Just finished Slumdog Millionaire what a wonderful book. I really enjoyed the structure of the book.
Niagara Falls by Joyce Carol Oates - I nearly gave up because the main character annoyed me so much but it was interesting to read about the Love Canal.
Laurie - Renoir, I absolutely love his paintings and when I see them I want to cry. I will look for the book you mention above. And I too was spellbound by the Unicorn Tapestries, next time DH is going somewhere else while I revisit.
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm almost finished Thursdays at Eight, by Debbie Macomber. A friend gave me a stack of her books, and I've enjoyed reading every one of them so far.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 339.2/327.6/175

Height: 5'10"

I'm a voracious reader but I tend to read really light chick-lit kind of stuff. I read before going to sleep so I don't really do anything heavy. So far I've read:

Twilight Series
Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris (what the TRue Blood series on HBO is based on)
All 14 of the Janet Evanovich number mystery books.
The 4 Jennifer Colt mysteries
Sophie Kinsella "Remember Me"

I'll have to read through this thread and get some other good ideas.
MomPOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #94  

At the moment, I am reading The Third Secret by Steve Berry. (It follows the same basic genre as DaVinci Code)

There look like there are a lot of great books on here, maybe one day I will get to read some of them.
mythreesons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I'm about halfway through Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life and am really enjoying it. The book is so thought-provoking and is leading to discussion between DH and I about searching for more locally produced food options. He's being astonishingly receptive, so I'm excited to start investigating.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Since I was here last I've been sick and done a lot of reading. Nothing too challenging though. SIL loaned me Eclipse and New Dawn and I finished both of those last weekend. They were definitely better than that second book and I'm glad I finished the series.
I also read Uglies and Pretties, and I plan to give DD Specials for her birthday so I can read that one too. I really loved the main character in those books as a role model for girls. She was far from perfect, but she was not at all whiny and she made her decisions and stuck by them. She didn't wait around for anybody to save her, and most of the time it was her saving her loved ones. As opposed to Bella in the Twilight series, which I enjoyed but hated her as a role model.

I really liked that A,V, M book too Kim. I read it last spring and it inspired me to work harder at my locavore habits. I already got all my dairy from a local creamery, but I now have a local butcher as well, and in the summer I get most of my produce from the farmer's market and local farms/orchards. It's harder in the winter, particularly because my freezer died last summer, so I couldn't stash away as much produce as I usually do. I can't wait for summer already!

Let us know how you like the Ann Rice book Laurie. I think she's a pretty good writer technically, although she is one of those that will go on a little too long sometimes.

The Knife... sounds interesting rebel. I'll have to look for that.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #97  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm reading Ebay for Dummies...how boring is that???
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #98  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Deja Dead the first bones books
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 AM   #99  

S/C/G: -0/-5/-47

I'm reading a really good mystery by a new writer, recommended by NPR: In the Woods, by Tana French. There's a sequel too. Lots of psychological suspense.
readhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #100  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Read I love Psychological suspense
Right Now I've added Eclipse the third twillight book
I can't read Deja Dead before Bed it gives me night mares!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #101  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Sophie, does Slumdog Millionaire follow the movie or is it the original book from which the movie was created (original title is Q & A)? I love Renoir, too. He just amazed me. The book really brought the painting alive for me and made me even more in love with the painter.

MomPOM, I enjoyed Remember Me, though I often get frustrated with Sophie Kinsella's characters--they can do some really stupid things, but they're so human, it's hard to stay mad for long. You might really like the book I'm listening to on CD right now--Size 12 is Not Fat. It reminds me a lot of Kinsella.

My3Sons--are you fond of that genre? You might like Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. I think it was really similar to DaVinci Code, though I didn't read the latter.

KimStar, that book really, really changed how I think. I'm trying hard to eat locally, which means very little fruit in the winter, though I'm spluring on clementines. Still, it's keeping me away from the berries this winter and led to us joining a CSA last summer (we'll do it again this year).

Schmoodle, did you read the books by Libba Bray that start with A Great and Terrible Beauty? They're really interesting and fun (YA), and they, too, have a really memorable and praiseworthy heroine. I've read the first two.

KO, I'm with you--I can't read scary books at all because they stick in my head, but definitely not before bed...

I'm on the same books...2/3 of the way through Edgar Sawtelle. If you love dogs and dog training, you could really, really like this book, though I'm a bit annoyed at the literal connection to Hamlet. I like writers to come up with their own ideas.

I'm almost done with Size 12 is Not Fat and, even though I'm still annoyed at the main character for acting in some really dumb ways, I do really like the story.

What's doing in your reading life?

Last edited by beachgal; 03-04-2009 at 10:19 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

I just finished Confessions of a Shopaholic. Excellent airplane book.

Starting The Great Gatsby next.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #103  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

I have been reading a lot lately.
I finished The Trouble With Joe from our wonderful Prospect Street author.
It was good, not nearly as good as Prospect Street. But I will go back for more of her books.
I read the latest Grisham, The Associate. Very disappointing!! I was really looking forward to that one too!
I am half way thru the Jon & Kate Plus 8 book. Interesting so far.
At my last bunco gathering, they couldn't stop talking about the Twlight series. I think I might give the first one a try.
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #104  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Jen, I've been wanting to read that Jon and Kate book. Let me know how it is. The waiting list at the library is a mile long. I might just have to buckle down and buy it if it would be worth the read.

I'm stuck on Pillars of the Earth. It's so long and I so very rarely can find time to read right now -- maybe with turning off the cable, I'll discover that I do have the time to read. The only time I've been finding time lately is when we're at the park and DS doesn't need me for something (I get maybe 5 pages read)

Can someone recommend a book that would be a quick read - I think I need a break from Pillars, it's just too much right now.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Hey Zeff! Have you read Astrid & Veronika by Linda Olsson? It was a really great book and was also a quick read. It was a very touching story. And what about Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel? Another great short read!
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote