3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   It's 2009; What Are You Reading? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/159839-its-2009%3B-what-you-reading.html)

rebel 02-02-2009 10:32 PM

Can you tell I really like to read? :lol
I've given up all TV, and given up crocheting (well, when we got cats, it really worked out better to not even attempt to crochet...)
so now it's just the paying job that gets in the way of my reading.
I guess the reading gets in the way of the exercising.
and I steal from sleep time for reading, but that only can go on for so long before you pay a price.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
YA speculative fiction.

17 year old Jenna wakes up after being in a coma over a year. she doesn't remember her family, or herself, or her past. she gathers facts, assembles clues to try to figure out her identity.
this is set at some time in the future. it raises biological and ethical questions. it's a book about the lengths a parent will go to to protect a child.

I stayed awake much too late last night finishing this book. it's really compelling.

rdw1 02-02-2009 10:52 PM

Heather- I never really pop in this thread much but something told me to check it out tonight and I gotta say- I am reading Charlaine Harris's all together dead. I began reading her series about 3 years ago when client of mine turned me on to them after telling her I liked the Laurell K Hamilton Anita Blake series... I really like the Sookie series- they are just fun light reads! Hope you enjoy them!!!
As for the show, I wasn't impressed... I only saw one episode late last year though and probably didn't give it a fair chance!(and I don't have HBO here at home so I probably would consider watching more if it didn't cost me!)

Jenskihere 02-04-2009 11:49 AM

I finished The Friday Night Knitting Club yesterday. It took a turn I didn't expect. I liked it overall. I am going to see if I can get the sequel from the library.
I started The Trouble With Joe today. it is a Emilie Richards book. Loved Prospect Street so much by this author! Hoping this is the same!

zeffryn 02-04-2009 01:15 PM

Jen, wasn't that twist at the end something! I really didn't expect it. As for Knitting Two, I enjoyed it but it was slow in the beginning. It took me awhile to get into.

Jenskihere 02-04-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeffryn (Post 2594786)
Jen, wasn't that twist at the end something! I really didn't expect it. As for Knitting Two, I enjoyed it but it was slow in the beginning. It took me awhile to get into.

I'm not sure I liked the ending!! I can see where it is leading in part 2 now however. I'll give it a try.

beachgal 02-04-2009 03:32 PM

Jenski, I've got my fingers crossed for The Trouble With Joe! I really loved Prospect Street too. Fill us in when you finish it!

rebel, you really are a fast reader! I'm very impressed! :goodvibes: I feel so slow somedays. It just depends on how I'm feeling and how much time I have.

I'm still working my way through Goodbye Ms. Chips. Almost done, though I did finish America. I'm absolutely LOVING Change of Heart and was so excited to realize that I figured out what really happened about halfway through the book and was right! It's fascinating.

Artemis, do you think the behavioral book is available in the U.S.? Sounds right up my alley...

jenne1017 02-04-2009 04:24 PM

I am just starting James Patterson's The Final Warning. I also bought Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand. Anyone read either?

I am more of an escapist reader -- I don't like most true to life books.

Jen -- Friday Night Knitting Club was fantastic. It was the book I read in the hospital when my mother died and I will never forget it. I didn't even know there was a Knitting Two!!!

And I read all 4 of the Twilight Series :)

Jenskihere 02-04-2009 04:25 PM

Jenn, I am with you! I don't like most true to life books either. I like the sappy, happy ending types! :-)
I think I read that James Patterson one... or did I? I'll have to look that up, I LOVE him!!

MelMomof3boys 02-04-2009 04:31 PM

I just finished the entire Twilight Saga Friday. That includes the 264 pages online of Twilight Sun. I loved it and am so sad I am done reading it. *sniff I can't wait until the next one comes out. Yesterday I started a new Nora Roberts book Captivated.

rdw1 02-04-2009 06:52 PM

Mel- I read the 4 completed books but am refusing to read online because I want to read the finished product! I love the twilight series!!!

rebel 02-05-2009 07:54 AM

Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass.
middle grade fiction.
Three very different teenagers are thrown together for a few days leading up to a total solar eclipse. They all come out of the experience changed (and for the better.)
For me, it didn't seem authentic. It just didn't ring true, though I loved the first 75-80% of the book.

Artemis__ 02-05-2009 12:39 PM

Beachgal, sorry I only just saw this question. The book is definitely available in the US - it's written by an American therapist his name is William J Knaus and followed after his name are the letters ED. D. He is referred to as a 'doctor' in the book in the peer reviews but I'm not sure if he's actually an MD. If that makes sense! I'm not clued up on American medical qualifications.
It's a great book. You can get it at Amazon.

sophie 02-05-2009 12:57 PM

I'm reading Niagara Falls by Joyce Carol Oates. Really enjoying it. A friend of mine sent it to me because she know I frequently go to Niagara Falls especially stopping at the wineries. Has anyone else read it? I didn't think I would enjoy it but the storyline immediately grabbed my interest.
Sophie

elusivekoolaid 02-05-2009 03:16 PM

I am currently making my way through Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire. I'm about 3/4 the way through and am really enjoying it. (I freakin LOVE the Wizard of Oz...I collect oz christmas ornaments...oh the shame.)

Not sure after that, might dig out an old romance novel I haven't opened in a while!

beachgal 02-09-2009 01:30 PM

Jenny, there are actually two books that come after Wicked (and, of course, the musical, too...). I love his books (Confessions of An Ugly Stepsister is another of his). BTW, where does your name (ElusiveKoolaid) come from? It's interesting!

I'm an escapist, too, but I don't really like gore or major thrillers, so Patterson isn't for me. His "sappy" fiction didn't do much for me, either. That's a shame, because so many people I know love his books!

I finished Goodbye, Ms. Chips and found it very satisfying, although one end was left loose at the end and it bugged me.

I'm currently working on The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. It's a bit odd. So far I'm getting a little bit of an impression that the editor should have cut more out--it's an excessively long book and there seems to be a lot more detail than there needs to be. We'll see. The story is interesting, at least, though the prologue was awfully disturbing. :p It's the book we're doing next month in my book club.