3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > South Beach Diet

South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

It's 2009; What Are You Reading?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #16

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Jenski: Who is Prospect Street by? It sounds interesting...

I'm really getting into Ex-Libris now. It's started covering the fall of Prague Castle to King Frederick of Bohemia and that is a very interesting side-story. It also turns out that the whole subject of the book is to find a missing volume of the Corpus hermeticum, a collection which, in that time, was declared a work of fraud. It's starting to get really exciting!!!

So, tell me more about what you're reading!!
Old 01-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Kim - this book did not disappoint me. The author is Emilie Richards. I am going to check out some more from this author. I liked it that much.
Here is the description from Amazon:
It was a mystery to Faith Bronson why her 15-year marriage had gone from passionate to platonic, but when she discovers her husband in the arms of another man, the solution turns her world upside down. Now an even greater mystery awaits her as she and her two adolescent children begin anew in a ramshackle Georgetown row house that has been in her mother's family for generations. Nearly 40 years ago, her parents' first child, Hope, had been kidnapped from the upstairs nursery, and the mystery of her disappearance has haunted and divided the family ever since. As Faith works to unearth family secrets and renovate her ancestral home, she encounters Pavel Quinn, a sexy neighbor whose attention she welcomes until her investigation uncovers the truth about Pavel's own shadowy past. The story of a newly-single woman struggling to reinvent herself in the wake of a divorce is hardly a new one, but Richards does the predictable plot proud through this compelling story of a family's destruction and resurrection

Just a great story. A story about a mother's journey to start over, a little mystery, a little love. Just kept me hooked and wanting to read it every free second I had. I finished 450 pages in 2 days, which is record time for me!! Great story to get lost in for a while. Check it out!

Need to head to the library. I have The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan waiting for me.

Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #18

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

KIKO, how are you liking The Bonesetter's Daughter? I couldn't get into it.

JENSKI, I have Prospect Street on reserve for me at the library after hearing you rave about it. I hope I enjoy it as much as you have!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #19
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Cottage - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did too!!! Even rereading the description, I didn't think I would like it that much. It just hooked me.

Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #20

Height: 5'4"

Don't know if it was mentioned before, but I just finished Shelter Me by Juliette Fay. It was great, I highly recommend it. Such a good read.

[/url]
timetostart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #21
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Thought I would share my list of books I read in 2008. Would be happy to offer commentary on any of them if you're interested!

Right now I am listening to Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reischl about her life as a food critic. Fun, but it makes me hungry!! I'm also reading The Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood by Vicki Iovine.

1. Swapping Lives by Jane Green (1/2/08)
2. Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall by Wendy Mass (1/3/08)
3. Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments by Celia Rivenbark (1/5/08) (NF)
4. Murder By the Glass by Michele Scott (1/7/08)
5. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (1/19/08) (M) (reread)
6. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (1/24/08) (NF)
7. Truth & Beauty: A Friendship by Ann Patchett (1/30/08) (NF)
8. The Return Journey by Maeve Binchy (2/4/08)
9. Payback by Melody Carlson (2/08)
10. Better Read than Dead by Victoria Laurie (2/18/08)
11. Reluctant Smuggler by Jill Elizabeth Nelson (2/23/08)
12. The Next Level by David Gregory (3/1/08) (M)
13. Paint It Black by Janet Fitch (3/2/08)
14. The Island of Heavenly Daze by Angela Hunt and Lori Copeland (3/8/08)
15. The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy by Erika Lenkert (NF) (3/8/08)
16. The Shack by William Young (M) (3/10/08)
17. And Sometimes Why by Rebecca Johnson (3/15/08)
18. Grace in Autumn by Lori Copeland and Angela Hunt (3/18/08)
19. A Vision of Murder by Victoria Laurie (3/21/08)
20. American Shaolin by Matthew Polly (NF, M) (3/29/08)
21. Callie's Tally by Betsy Howie (NF) (4/3/08)
22. Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson (4/8/08)
23. Mustard Seeds by Lynn Coulter (4/8/08) (NF) (proofed)
24. Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury (4/18/08)
25. The Men I Didn't Marry by Lynn Schnurnberger and Janice Kaplan (4/27/08)
26. I Love Everybody (And Other Atrocious Lies) by Laurie Notaro (NF) (4/29/08)
27. When Zeffie Got a Clue by Peggy Darty (5/5/08)
28. Killer Insight by Victoria Laurie (5/08)
29. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire (5/9/08) (M)
30. Reconstructing Natalie by Laura Jensen Walker (5/10/08)
31. The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregancy by Vicky Iovine (5/08)
32. Bed Rest by Sarah Bliston (5/15/08)
33. Crime Seen by Victoria Laurie (5/19/08)
34. What We Keep by Elizabeth Berg (5/21/08)
35. 32AA by Michelle Cunnah (5/24/08)
36. The Olive Farm by Carol Drinkwater (5/27/08) (NF)
37. Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (5/28/08)
38. Murder on a Girls' Night Out by Anne George (6/1/08)
39. Death of a Six-Foot Teddy Bear by Sharon Dunn (6/9/08)
40. Notes from the Underbelly by Risa Green (6/15/08)
41. Skid by Rene Gutteridge (6/19/08)
42. Icing on the Cake by Laura Castoro (6/22/08)
43. Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout (6/28/08)
44. Digging to America by Anne Tyler (7/1/08)
45. Manual for Motherhood (vol 1) by various (7/3/08) (NF)
46. Better Off Wed by Laura Durham (7/6/08)
47. Strawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke (7/7/08)
48. Me Times Three by Alex Witchel (7/12/08)
49. Confessions from an Honest Wife by Sarah Zacharias Davis (7/16/08) (NF)
50. That's (Not Exactly) Amore by Tracey Bateman (7/20/08)
51. Patty Jane's House of Curl by Lorna Landvik (7/21/08)
52. Julia's Hope by Leisha Kelly (7/23/08)
53. Charlotte Leaves the Light On by Annette Smith (7/26/08)
54. Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin (8/3/08) (NF)
55. Emma's Gift by Leisha Kelly (8/13/08)
56. The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart (8/16/08)
57. Echoes by Robin Jones Gunn (8/19/08) (reread)
58. Valentine Murder by Leslie Meier (8/24/08)
59. The Smart One and the Pretty One by Claire LaZebnik (8/25/08)
60. A Garden in Paris by Stephanie Grace Whitson (9/1/08)
61. The Language of Threads by Gail Tsukiyama (9/8/08)
62. The Good, Good Pig by Sy Montgomery (9/12/08) (NF)
63. The Rice Room by Ben Fong-Torres (9/23/08) (M, NF)
64. Katie's Dream by Leisha Kelly (10/5/08)
65. Rorey's Secret by Leisha Kelly (10/9/08)
66. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (10/13/08)
67. On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle (10/18/08)
68. The Birth Book by Dr. Sears (10/19/08) (M, NF)
69. The Vanishing Point by Mary Sharratt (10/24/08)
70. Tam Lin by Pamela Dean (11/08) (reread)
71. Chicken Soup for the New Mom's Soul (11/11/08) (NF)
72. Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Golden Gelman (11/18/08) (NF)
73. Second Glance by Jodi Picoult (11/08)
74. The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory (12/9/08)
75. Girl's Night In by various (12/08)
76. A Warmth in Winter by Angela Hunt and Lori Copeland (12/19/08)
77. A Perfect Love by Angela Hunt and Lori Copeland (12/29/08)
78. Hearts at Home by Angela Hunt and Lori Copeland (12/31/08)
Philippians 3:12

Visit my blog: VanderbiltWife
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #22
sophie

wow, jessie what a list. Is there any one that is totally your favourite.
Sophie
Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #23
Welcome Winter!

S/C/G: 232/ticker/153

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just finished "Treasures" by Maeve Binchy and am reading another James Patterson "Cross". The last is large print so I can read it on the treadmill.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #24

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Ruth, I just adore Mauve Binchy, she's my favorite author alongside of Margaret Pilcher. Their books just make me feel all snug and content.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #25
Recovering Sugarholic

Ruth--I can't find a Maeve Binchy book called "Treasures" on Amazon. Is it a short story? I adore her as well and I think I've read most all of her books.

Sophie--I would say it's a toss-up between American Shaolin and Water for Elephants. If you haven't read A Prayer for Owen Meany, that's one of my favorite books of all time and SO good. If you like Jodi Picoult, I would also highly recommend Second Glance. It was different than her normal strand because it doesn't involve a court case.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #26
Welcome Winter!

S/C/G: 232/ticker/153

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Jessie, it's an oldie from a box going to the yard sale. I'll go check the title and the publishing date because I can't find it either.
I'll watch for Second Glance. I've read two Jody P. books, one good and one not so will try another one.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #27
sophie

Thanks Jessie, I did read A Prayer Owen Meany, years ago, will have to revisit it sometime.
I've read two of Jodi P. books and really enjoyed one but found the plots sort of in the same direction. Will look for the one you suggest.
I did enjoy Knit Two and as the cover on the first book The Friday Night Knitting Club states - its New York's Steel Magnolia but still a good read and I can see a tv series or movies made out of it. I sort of pictured whom I would like to see play the different characters.
Currently reading Ominvore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and find it very slow read but its opening my eyes to the production of today's food.
Sophie
Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #28

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Where is everyone?! Are we still reading?

Hey, Jessie! I read your list on your blog and added a few to the "want to read" list I'm keeping. I hope to read half that many books this year!

I'm still working on Ex-Libris. I'd be finished by now, but every time something happens, I jump up to google it! Lol! I spent several hours researching the Corpus Hermeticum and the fall of Prague Castle. It's very weird, but I can't keep from looking this stuff up! I'm learning a lot, though. I also spent some time researching the term "ex-libris" itself. I'm sure I'll finish it up by this weekend. I only have a few chapters to go and then I'll be done.

I'm going to plan on moving on to Snow Angels by Stewart O'Nan next Monday night.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #29
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks, Kim, for starting us off! I was so tempted to do it on 12/30 when I was online, but knew that wasn't fair...unfortunately, I haven't had time to post while home during break. So much clean-up and sleeping to catch up on after we got home from my parents!

I'll try my best to respond to as many as I can, but there's a lot of posting for so early in the month--not that I'm complaining! I'm SO glad to have our little reading corner here! I get such wonderful ideas from you all!

Kim, I hear you on books with teeth! I love a book named Ex-Libris (the MLA is changing to italics instead of underlining, so I'm practicing!), but it's by Anne Fadiman. It's a bunch of short biographical essays about being a book lover. I really respect your plans for devotionals--wish I could carve out more time in the day for that in my life. It's so important to me, but every day somehow goes by without my managing it. I've been trying to fit in meditation time, too, and that hasn't happened yet, either, unless you count meditating to sleep while cuddling the dog...

Cyndi, it sounds like you've made some really good changes in your life in terms of exercise, but it's a shame to lose reading time. Can you listen to books on tape while you exercise? I love listening to podcasts on my iPod. If I were less cheap, I'd buy some audio books to do that with, too! My library actually has a way of "renting" mp3 audio books, but it doesn't work with iPods.

Yay for light reading! I did a bunch of it recently and it's been so much fun and really cleared my mind for other things.

Jenski, I'm so glad you liked Prospect Street! I got it at a used book sale, but I'm definitely going to be looking out for more books by the author. It was such an engaging book--so hard to put down! I loved the story and now I'm dying to go check out that area of WADC! I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I'm fascinated by restoration of old houses. Oh, and history and genealogy, too.

Murphy, how did your surgery go? Hope you're okay! I've heard most adults say that they could finish the entire Twilight series in a couple days. A couple of my adult friends loved it, but most just said it was okay. It's great to know what your kids/students are into by experiencing it yourself, though.

Lightfello, you picked two great books to read! I bet you'll like The Secret Life of Bees even more than Keeper, though both are wonderful. I love anything Picoult writes even though some of them are bigger favorites than others.

Frannie, what did you think about The Lucky One? I've enjoyed many of Sparks' books, but some of the latest ones haven't been as good, IMHO. I really like The Lucky One, though I felt like scoffing at some of it. Maybe I'm getting too cynical? I consider it worth reading, though...it's got great suspense, lots of wonderful dog scenes, an excellent villian (though the ending wasn't as good as it could have been in terms of him), and a sweet love story. Oh, and I just loved the character of Nana. She was hilarious!

Cottage, I predict that you will LOVE Prospect Street...I think you'll really admire and be inspired by the main character.

Jessie! It's so fun to "see" you again here! How's motherhood? I absolutely ADORE Vicki Iovine's Girlfriend's Guides. I've read the wedding one (which may be out of print now) and the one for pregnancy. I hope one day I'm in need of reading the one you're on now. What was Confessions from an Honest Wife by Sarah Zacharias Davis like? I'd also love to hear what you thought of Second Glance. I haven't read that one yet. How do you keep track of your reading? I'd really like to do that somehow. I'm using two programs on Facebook to track my reading, but a friend there recommended an online site called Library Thing. Does anyone use that or something like it?

Ruth, I adore Binchy. What was Treasures about? I don't think I've done that one... I wonder if it's one of the older ones that have been renamed and republished? I just can't get into Patterson. Maybe I've read the wrong books? We read Honeymoon for my book club and it was just so graphic that it made me sick. I had awful nightmares, too. I read a couple of his more mundane books (like the Letters one) and didn't really get much out of them. Does he write any thrillers that aren't graphic? I know so many people who adore his books... Which Picoult books did you read? I really loved Keeping Faith but Plain Truth is my absolute favorite. It's a little bit like Agnes of God (I've only seen the movie), but set in a Amish family. So fascinating!

Sophie, I'm interested in Omnivore's Dilemma too, but I'm worried it'll be too dry to get through. Wonder if I can get it on tape? Do you think The Friday Night Knitting Club would be interesting to someone who doesn't knit?

Me: I read a ton over the break but I only received one book for Christmas. I got a big stack of 'em at the library before heading to my parents for the holidays. Here's the rundown:
  • Zanna's Gift: A tiny Christmas book that was compared to The Christmas Box but was nowhere near as good. In my opinion, it was pretty much a waste of time--it would have made a good short story if most of it were cut and a new ending was added...
  • Diamond in the Ruff and Gone to the Dogs by Emily Carmichael: These are the two next books in the series that starts with Finding Mr. Right, which I read sometime in the last couple years. I got a copy of the latter one from Paperbackswap and realized I didn't have the one in the middle, so I got it from the library. In the first book Lydia Keane is killed by a burgler while out on a date with her best friend's husband, with whom she is having an affair. Lydia has been a very, very bad girl in her life, so she's given the task of finding another husband for her best friend--only she has to do it reincarnated as a pudgy corgi dog (not fun for a woman who was stunning and skinny in her former life...). Mysteries and lots of suspense feature in these romances and, though they are light reading, they are a lot of fun, especially for dog lovers. We used to have a corgi mix, so I really enjoyed Lydia's antics as Piggy, the corpulent corgi. In the last book, she introduces several woman with pets who are all members of an animal therapy group (they go to hospitals and nursing homes to comfort the patients). She has a couple of books out that feature these women and their own romances. If you're a cat lover, she also has books that parallel Piggy's experiences, only with a reincarnated cat (well, if the formula works, why fix it? ). I think the first one of those is A Ghost for Maggie.
  • Mortal Curiosity by by Ann Granger: The second in her series of Lizzie Martin mysteries, this book was fantastic!!! It was on the new shelf at my library and I can't wait to read the first book, even though a couple of hints about it were given out in this one. This series takes place in England in the 1860s and the author has done painstaking research to make sure every detail is accurate. The characters nearly stand up out of the book--they are so well drawn that they truly seem alive. I could hardly put this down. She has written a ton of other mysteries--one series features a man/woman team but I think they take place in the England of today.
  • The Bisexual's Guide to the Universe: While entertaining, much of it is really fluff. A good laugh but not much information.
  • It's a Dog's Life...but It's Your Carpet: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Your Four-Legged Friend by Justine Lee, DVM: This was incredibly well-written and absolutely hilarious. I finished it on our flight out to my parents and enjoyed it immensely. Like a Why Do Men Have Nipples? book about dogs, this explains, in a wacky Q & A format, why dogs do the things they do. The vet who wrote the book says that most of the questions are the ones she's asked over and over. I definitely learned a lot about our dog!
  • I reviewed The Lucky One above.

As for now, I'm currently reading the Daily Show with Jon Stewart's America: Democracy Inaction. It's styled on a textbook and is absolutely hilarious while being suprisingly informative. For instance, I had no idea that Madison contributed so much to our nation!

I have a big TBR pile waiting for me at home: a stack of Junie B. Jones books to catch up on (I just love those books!!!), Deceptively Delicious (cookbook), two books on training dogs, a couple of Ellis Haskell mysteries, and I have The Companion (the first Lizzie Martin book) waiting for me at the library. I better get to it! :read:
Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #30
Recovering Sugarholic

Laurie,
Honestly I am not that fond of the Girlfriends' Guides. I don't know why! I just read the Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood. I guess I just don't think she is as funny as SHE thinks she is. Also anyone who repeatedly tells you they are 115 lbs. should be shot, in my opinion.

Confessions of an Honest Wife is a collection of essays from Christian wives. I thought it was very interesting and good, although not quite what I expected.

I LOVED Second Glance. It is a ghost story and so interesting and pretty unlike the other Picoult novels I've read. It is like 600 pages and even with a newborn I read it in a matter of days.

I just keep a list of the books I've read as a "note" on my Paperbackswap public profile. I have heard goof things about Librarything too, though. I'm just not that disciplined!

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.