South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Good morning, everyone. It's been a while since I've posted here. I'm slowly reading through Tea Chings: The Tea and Herb Companion from The Republic of Tea. I'm really enjoying it. Although it's basically a tea-history, it is very soothing to read about the ancient traditions and chronology of tea. It almost makes me want to trade in my morning coffee for some tea. Almost, but not quite. It definitely has prompted more tea-tasting on my part. I'm going to order some new loose-leaf this week as a result of this read.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #152  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Rebel, glad I wasn't the only one that was let down by the ending. Do you think he did it because he was clinging to Hamlet? I just couldn't understand why he ended it that way. Sorry you didn't love First Person as much as I did. Did you like the one about the child that shows up in her shopping cart? I thought that was hilarious! I heard about The Spare Room from someone. It sounds intriguing--did you see similarities with Tuesdays with Morrie?

Kim, I love tea! That sounds like an awesome book! Loose leaf tea is so much fun and there are so many amazing flavors. I have no trouble having tea instead of coffee in the morning. It's just sooooo delicious!

I finished The Accidental by Ali Smith. I was very disappointed in the ending and found the book frustrating and, often, annoying. She's an excellent short story writer but, IMHO, she shouldn't write novels without an editor that wields a burning pen! I moved on to Kris Radish's novel Searching for Paradise in Parker, PA. Cottage, let me finish it first, but I think you might get something from this one and enjoy it. This is the first of her novels that I've read where the main character is currently in a relationship with someone--in others, the characters have met and fallen for someone in the book, but this one is about a married woman and her experiences with her husband, which is different and intriguing.

I'm still reading a bunch of non-fiction self-help stuff, too.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #153  
I can do this!

Just bumping 'er up. I'm still on the same books, though I've had continued requests from friends to read Twilight. I refuse! There are too many good books I'd rather be reading...
Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #154  

S/C/G: 165/133/115

I am totally on a brainwashing myself kick.. and am reading "The South Beach Diet-Super Charged" So far, so flippin AWESOME. This book is so much better than the first... as far as recipes and added foods go. I just feel that this book explains the diet so much more! I definately reccomend it to everyone on South Beach.
moncheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #155  
I can do this!

Thanks, Moncheree! I'm really hoping to read my copy. I packed it for a trip last year and couldn't find it until just recently. I'm on a non-fiction kick right now, though, so I know I'll have to read some fiction before I start on it.

A friend loaned me Storm Front, the first book in the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. I haven't read any Sci Fi since high school, it seems, so I'm a little nervous about this one. I think it was the mention of "black magic" that scared me. She loves the series, though, and we usually have similar taste. Anyone else read it?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #156  
I can do this!

Just bumping this back to the main page. I've read SO many books lately and need to post...but also need to go to bed. Hope to add to the thread tomorrow. In the meantime, what are YOU reading?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Thanks for the bump, Laurie! I can't wait to see what you've been reading! DH and I are going to the "big city" next week and I need some good titles to pick up. I haven't been reading at all lately, and I really HATE that. I have some books in my "to-be-read" pile, but nothing I'm especially inspired to pick up. Looking at the stack while dusting last night, I had to wonder where I had gotten some of them and why I had picked them up!

I've got some loose ends to tie up on two online swaps I'm participating in and then I'll let myself relax again and start reading more. I watched the film adaptation of Girl With A Pearl Earring a few days ago, so I think I'm going to get the book back out and re-read it until we can make it to the book store.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #158  

since the last time I was here:

Genesis by Bernard Beckett. science fiction. I've seen that it's up for some awards.

Little Bee by Chris Cleave.
Excellent book! I loved it.
About a teenage Nigerian girl who is a refugee in England, and the white British woman who befriends her.
I read it because of this review in BookBrowse:
http://www.bookbrowse.com/mag/nm_rev...etail=127395nl

The Dead Father's Club by Matt Haig
another Hamlet parallel. not so much as Edgar Sawtelle. I like this one a lot. dark and yet very funny.

Mudbound by Hillary Jordan
excellent. you definitely feel like you are right there in the 1940s Mississippi delta.
I read this on the basis of the bookbrowse review:
http://www.bookbrowse.com/mag/nm_rev...etail=119871nl

that takes me up to 5/13
rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #159  
Double chin be gone!

S/C/G: 263/254/200

Height: 5'9

I've just Finished the Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs - a tear jerker,
and American Wife by Curtis Sittenfield (and interesting look into what former first lady Bush's life would have been like), I <3 reading so I'm glad to see this thread! I'm about to start Glass Castle by Jeanette Wells.. any avid readers might be interested in checking out paperbackswap.com , it has saved me tons of money!
PopcornFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #160  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I just started reading Ultra Metabolism... seems to have a lot of the same points at SBD does- but IMO, so far it goes further into detail of explaining why you should eat which foods! Its very interesting- although I am only a few chapters in!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #161  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Rikki- I'm glad I'm not the only weight loss geek I'm reading The End of Overeating. It is really helping me make sense of the crazy eating compulsions all these years. I suspect the answer will still be "just do it (or don't!)" but at least I know why I am so obsessed with some foods and that it's not just my weakness!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #162  

PopcornFiend, I thought Glass Castle was really good. I have other recommendations if you like it.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 PM   #163  
Double chin be gone!

S/C/G: 263/254/200

Height: 5'9

Awesome! I'll let you know when I finish it. I am always happy for recommendations.. I probably read 3-6 novels a month (after work, before bed, sometimes before work on the treadmill..) if only I loved to exercise as much as I love to read... If only!
PopcornFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #164  

I read large print books from the library while doing the elliptical machine. ;-)

I usually do 35 minutes but if it's a really good book I can go an hour

Last edited by rebel; 06-01-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #165  

and when I said "other recommendations" I meant other memoirs of childhoods in dysfunctional families.