South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #1  
Rising from the ashes....

Height: 5'5"

Default An Introduction and Questions

Hello all,

I recently purcahased the SBD Supercharged book and am busy reading it and the forum information.

I have severe hypothyroidism from a genetic thyroid disease and feel after months of research that the SBD is probably the best eating plan for me to be successful at losing weight and keeping it off with a lifestyle change.

I hope you will allow me to join this wonderful group. I have learned so much from you already.

Now on to my question...

On page 15 of his book Dr Agatston recommends fish oil be taken with EPA and DHA milligrams at between 1,000 and 2,000. The fish oil I have is 180 mg of EPA and 120 mg DHA per capsule. To even get to 1,000 mg that would be a ton of capsules daily.

Is there a specific brand that you all use. Maybe one with a higher concentration of EPA abd DHA per capsule. Any other advice for taking fish oil?

Regards,
Deb in chilly Kentucky
Old 12-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Wouldn't you just eat enough fish to get to those levels, and then supplement with a capsule when you come short? I don't know. I'm just wondering out loud.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I don't have the book in front of me, so it is hard to see how the question is being understood contextually.

A gram of fish oil per day isn't that difficult to get. I take a fish oil supplement that contains a gram of omega-3 acids total (DHA and EPA included) (1 gram = 1,000 mg). You may want to consider looking for a new supplement if you are concerned about your intake levels. The one I take is from GNC and is a triple strength fish oil supplement, their regular fish oil supplement contains about 300 mg and would only take about 3 pills to get the amount necessary.

About the eating enough fish during the day and supplementing if you come short - it is really difficult to pinpoint the amount that you get from foods. They say that 3 servings per week of oily fish is sufficient.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #4  

Fish oil supplements are usually 1000 mg each. I think Dr. Agaston is meaning to take 1000-2000 mg daily of fish oil containing EPA & DHA. Each suppliment contains 300 mg of EPA & DHA, combined. I have coronary heart disease and my dr. has me taking 3000 mg per day (3 supplements).

I don't think he meant 1000 mgs of EPA & DHA. He only meant taking fish oil supplements that contain EPA & DHA. Most are 1000 mg each, so one or two per day would be what he recommends.

I eat fish each week too, but still take the fish oil supplements daily.

Last edited by pam920; 12-04-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #5  
Rising from the ashes....

Height: 5'5"

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much ladies.

And Pam you are correct. Now that I re-read the book and bottle label I see where I misunderstood.

And believe it or not I am a nurse!

Deb
Old 12-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Deb! I'm so glad you're reading the book and I hope SBD helps a lot with your health and weight.

Diva, fish is problematic. Even though instinct would say that it makes much more sense to get the nutrients we need directly from food, the fish that have the healthy oils (i.e. salmon) tend to be those that are high in mercury. Even if you aren't pregnant or have a chance of getting pregnant, it's not recommended that you eat much of these kinds of fish because of the high mercury content. Farm-raised fish don't have mercury, but they are often high in antibiotics because they are raised in tiny spaces and tend to fight, causing injuries that have to be treated with antibiotics. So it's very difficult to find fish that's safe to eat. Fish oil capsules, on the other hand, are carefully treated to remove the mercury and don't have antibiotics. So they're a much safer option, especially if you think you'll be trying to get pregnant any time in the future, like me.

Deb, I find it difficult to get an Omega-3 Fish oil supplement that's high in EPA and DHA (it's recommended that a person without heart problems take around 500 of each) without taking a gazillion capsules. I ended up getting a one-capsule Sam's Club brand that has around 300 of EPA and of DHA (each). That's the best I could do. There are probably others out there that are better, though. If you find something, let me know. I'd love to be getting the 500 of each. It's not only good for heart health, but for depression and a host of other things, too.

Last edited by beachgal; 12-04-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Laurie, try searching the net for a pharmaceutical grade Omega-3 supplements.

Here are a few:
http://www.vitamindeal.com/fishoil-100-carlson.html
http://www.pure-fish-oil.com/
Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, Deb! I'm so glad that you are reading the book to gain a thorough understanding of this eating plan. We look forward to getting to know you!
Closed Thread