South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #1  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Tell about your SB success!

Some of you gals must have had success on the SB plan...Tell me about the pounds you've lost, the cravings you've conquered, the way you feel in your clothes ... I've been lurking here for weeks and have yet to find a thread that talks about results. If SB is going to be my diet for life I gotta know that it works. Please share your success stories to help those of us just starting out to build motivation! No matter how big or small your accomplishment, just share!
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #2  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Did you check out the GOAL thread or how bout the mini goal thread- there is lots of success there. Also you can check out many of the lovely signatures of the WONDERFUL people here and see their success. Maybe the October results of exercise or weigh ins... Plenty of places to find how this program works. Also, if you haven't you should really read the book! Plenty of success stories in there too!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I started in January. Lost 8# in phase I, then another 16# over the next 12 weeks. Lost 6 inches in my waist and dropped my cholesterol by 30 points. I am at a weight I've never been able to maintain before, but find I'm maintaining very well and can wear a size 2-4. I've never been on a plan where I was so satisfied with my meals and snacks and sometimes forget to eat. I was always thinking about food constantly with other diet plans. I am grateful for having found South Beach and tell everyone about it. I used to be afraid to eat any fat and that has been a huge difference for me. I now use olive oil and nut butters daily and I think this has helped contribute to my satisfaction. I also eat a lot more vegetables and have used tons of recipes from the SB forum. My husband really likes these menus too! I can't say enough good things about SB!

Last edited by murphmitch; 11-03-2008 at 09:41 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #4  
Angela

Thanks Rikki -
I've been on SB for 3 weeks on Wednesday. I LOVE it! I've lost in other ways, but this has been the most painless. I have the book and have enjoyed reading the success stories...I guess I was just hoping to hear stories from the boards as opposed to from a book. I've had minimal cravings so far and have lost 7 pounds, so I'm pretty pleased. I really want to commit to this plan for the long-haul and am hoping to meet a few like-minded folks. Looks like I've landed in the right place!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #5  
Angela

That's an incredible success story, Anne! Congratulations on finding what works for you!!! Thanks so much for sharing, it truly is encouraging. I am doing this plan with a gal at work and also my sister. They will be excited when I tell them your story! Thanks!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I have several friends at work who have used SB very successfully. That's actually where I got my inspiration to try it. I have shared the plan with several others. People are always coming up to me and asking how I have lost and maintained so well. Some are not willing to change their diet (give up the white flour and sugar) so they don't want to try it. If they only knew how well it works, I think they would find it well worth a try.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

First, this site has been a key to my success. I tried SBD before, and quit not even after one week. Of course, in retrospect, it was a bad time to try and start such a major life change (busy, busy job, with a 9 mo nursing child).

During my vacation at the end of April/beginning of May, I decided I'd "live it up" with whatever I wanted, and then start SBD when I started back. So, I began May 5th (?). I lost 5 or 6 lbs on Phase I, and then slowly (1-1.5 lb/week) after that, to lose around 22 lbs total. It took me around 4 1/2 months. I probably could've lost faster if I didn't love cashews so much .

I went from size 10 to size 4. I've NEVER been this size before. Even when I was extremely active and diet conscious in college (but I ate low fat then...).

I think my greatest victory is exercise though. Before SBD, in April, I was trying to jog on the treadmill. I was trying to work up to one mile, but really was having difficulty. After the induction phase, I tried running again. To my surprise, the first time, I was able to easily jog a mile. Now, I'm trying to get myself ready to do a half marathon next year....I'm up to 8.5 miles!!!

I still see myself in the mirror, and wonder, "who's the skinny chick?"

Oh - and I rarely eat "bad" foods now. Almost never processed foods, and rarely sugar. I feel like I'm eating healthier than ever!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #8  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

One of my best friends was the SBD's biggest advocate (until I came along). She had a TON of success with the diet. She went from a size 16 to a size 8 and she was still eating (at one point, she was losing so much weight I suspected she was anorexic. Just kidding.) Seriously, she kept mentioning it to me, and my own (initial) perception of the diet was that it was one of those "fad" diets where you drink orange juice and water all day and lose weight. That's what happens when you don't do your research.

Earlier this year, I decided I needed to get serious about my weight loss (again) and started on weight watchers, since it worked for me before. A month into weight watchers, I was tired of counting points and I felt that the "flexibility" counting points was going to get me into trouble. I also needed to address the issue of insulin resistance. I started researching SBD and decided that I should give it a shot.

Here it is, six months later (five total, on SB) and I have lost 37 pounds. I don't ever feel like I'm on a diet, I have "treats" occasionally, and the carb binging (you know, when you eat one cookie and can't stop at one) has totally stopped. You don't have to count calories, points, carbs, fat grams, or anything else -- which I love. I do try to keep a food journal though.

Also, if you make a mistake and blow it totally one weekend, go back onto phase one to get yourself back on track.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 11-04-2008 at 09:04 AM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #9  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I never had high blood pressure or high cholestorol so it wasn't a must that I do it, it was a recomendation by a friend of dh's on the overall success of it outside of the weight loss - the fact that it makes you feel like a new you

What I love about the South Beach Diet is no more craving including during TOM. I love my energy level and eventhough I haven't lost alot of lbs I have lost tons of inches I started at a 18/20 and I now wear a 14.

Keep with it!
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #10  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

I've been working it since the beginning of April and I'm down over 45 pounds. I feel great and love getting into clothes I haven't be able to wear in years. It's a great, workable plan. I can't imagine doing it any other way!
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #11  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Great inspiration everyone!!!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #12  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

My success is not as much in weight loss but in GAINING CONTROL. I usually fluctuate up & down in a 10 lb range. My problem was binge eating and not being in control of my cravings.

Since learning about South Beach and eliminating refined sugar and simple carbs, I find I am never ravenous or eating out of control. I have never felt better and more in control. It's a smart way of eating that works for me!

I don't feel like I am dieting and "can't eat this or that". I choose to eat things that work for me. I'm a SBD girl!
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 206/177/150

Height: 5'5"

I started on the SBD September 1. I've lost 23 pounds so far. Last week my DH and I were on vacation in Charleston, SC. I stuck to the diet as best I could and managed to lose 2 pounds. We did do a lot of walking which I know helped me lose the 2 pounds. You can eat out and stick to the diet, I'm proof of that. I did miss reading all the posts. This site keeps me motivated. I know I'm not alone with this battle.
carolcolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #14  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

I have a mini-goal thread going on...haven't reached my goal yet but I'm still working on it. Link is in my siggy. Updated it with some pics today.

I gained those 2.5lbs I lost last week on vacation this past weekend, butt that's fine. I just know that I have to work harder in the future to drop those and the new pounds I have setup to lose. It's really confusing but I had to figure out how to eat for me to lose weight. Some things stick to me while other don't...so figuring out my meal plan was a little challenging at first.

Oh and when I hit 30lbs lost I found that I had to start a fitness plan to get out of my plateau.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #15  
Creative Beacher

I've been on SBD since Feb this year and I have lost 32 lbs. I just had to buy my second wardrobe. I love shopping but I'm going to go broke re-buying all my clothes! I swear I have bought the same pair of black pants 3 times. Seriously, I have had a very easy time loosing weight on SBD. I am a very picky eater, I don't like that many vegetables, I don't exercise regularly and it still works for me. I feel so much healthier, too. It is amazing what a difference the foods you eat can make!
merryalta is offline   Reply With Quote