South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #91  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

rebel - you might be able to combat feeling that hungry by adding more protein than just a string cheese to your lunch. I can't remember if you said you were a vegetarian or not, so I'll give you a few ideas: 1/2 cup of beans would be good, a hard boiled egg or a piece or two of turkey.

3 cups of tomatoes and bell peppers has less than 100 calories and a piece of string cheese only has a few as well (depending on brand). I usually try to shoot for 300 calories at each major meal and 100-200 at snacks, which puts me right around 1200-1500 calories for the day.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #92  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

My family loves quinoa -- and bulgar for that matter. Go figure, since they're the people who won't touch my beloved dark, grainy bread and vastly prefer icky white Wonder bread!

I do like steel cut oats, but I got some Bob's Red Mill 5-Grain Hot Cereal (whole wheat, rye, oats, triticale, barley, and flaxseed) and some Scottish Oats (I think that may be the same thing as steel cut) at the store the other day. Now, which to have first?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscarchie View Post
Wife2abadge, remember to get the steel cut oatmeal. You want the least processed thing you can find. Trader Joes has it MUCH cheaper than the grocery stores usually do.

Also, you might try quinoa, which has a similar consistancy but a delicious nutty flavor.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 206/177/150

Height: 5'5"

Where's the recipe for the Ricotta Muffins? I love the ricotta pancakes. Most of the time I leave the baking powder out, use egg substitute, splenda and spices, vanilla and make "crepes". I take 2T low fat soft cream cheese add splenda and vanilla to taste. When crepes are done I spread the crepes with the cream cheese mixture. I love it. I really want to try the muffins. I looked in the recipe threads but I couldn"t find it.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #94  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Love the crepe idea, I am going to steal that one!

Here is the link for the ricotta muffins. Just noticed that the title says nothing about ricotta muffins!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125180
HIGHLY recommed making them with the veggies!!

Tried spag squash for the first time last night. LOVED IT! Had it for lunch in fact. Added a little Smart Balance, parsley and parm cheese.

Jenny
Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #95  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenskihere View Post
Love the crepe idea, I am going to steal that one!

Here is the link for the ricotta muffins. Just noticed that the title says nothing about ricotta muffins!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125180
HIGHLY recommed making them with the veggies!!

Tried spag squash for the first time last night. LOVED IT! Had it for lunch in fact. Added a little Smart Balance, parsley and parm cheese.

Jenny
When I was doing P1, I ate spaghetti squash constantly. I always found new things to put on it. I still like it with spaghetti sauce - DH isn't as big of fan, so I make him pasta.

Femmecreole has this cool contraption that makes zucchini into "pasta" strips....I may have to invest in one of those.

I think it's great how creative all you girls are....finding new ingredients to replace old, unhealthy ingredients. Perfect!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #96  
Finding success on beach

I have to tell you, last week I was eating the foods I was supposed to, but not enjoying them. I was dreading dinner because it wasn't looking good to me. Or my conbinations were horrible! But they were on the list, so that is why I ate them. I am trying to get more creative. Today's lunch, ricotta muffins with veggies and the spag squash... I actually ENJOYED my lunch today. Didn't choke it down like previous meals. Breakfast has so far been my easiest meal. I need to find SB friendly meals I enjoy as much for lunch and dinner. Helps that I enjoy cooking and making new things. Poor DH hasn't been eating well lately. I have no desire to make him different things, and he isn't liking my food selections so far!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #97  
beachin'

Jenny - My DH wasn't huge on the idea of "diet food" either. It took awhile to figure out what to make that he would like and would fill up his caloric/carb needs as well.

What kind of foods does DH like?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #98  

Quote:
3 cups of tomatoes and bell peppers has less than 100 calories and a piece of string cheese only has a few as well (depending on brand).
wow, that's all? usually I have cruciferous veggies most days - broccoli or cauliflower - but today someone had eaten them all.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #99  
Finding success on beach

My DH is a meat & potatoes kind of guy. His favorite meal is Shepards Pie, and his version is meat, corn and potatoes! He likes meatloaf, spag with meat sauce, and claims he is burned out on chicken (and this was before I started SB!!). He likes things simple too. He is a big kid in his eating habits, doesn't like veggies, doesn't like to try new things, just like my kids!!
We have our old favorite stand bys that he would eat every week if I made them. I need variety. He hates when I try new things!! Oh well! :-) He'll either eat or go on an unofficial diet too!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #100  

When I started SBD the first time, my daughter (now 11) was still incredibly picky, my son (now nearly 14) had become a vegetarian, and here I was trying to limit what I ate. They're all more versatile this time around, though we still have the vegetarian issue.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #101  

Brian is a lot less picky than he used to be too. He actually ate halibut with zucchini and topped with grilled vegetable tapenade and cooked in parchment paper tonight. It wasn't that long ago that he wouldn't eat fish. Now we eat it all the time.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 183/130/115

Height: 5'0"

Hi! My name is Holly. Today is my first day on SBD. I've never done a "diet" before, only calorie counting, so I'm trying to make sure I follow all of the rules. I have been at the same weight range (between 121-125) for a long time now. I'm hoping that by changing things up some, I might get some new results. I also gained a few unwelcomed vacation pounds recently that are making my clothes quite snug! I think that I'll have to start over tommorrow though because I realized that the turkey I ate today (twice) has both brown sugar and honey listed in the ingredients. I also had 3 servings of caffinated diet soda instead of 1-2 limit. I'll try to to better with that. I have gotten a lot of really great information from all of you, and have learned so much! I'm looking foreward to this lifestlye, I just have to get in the habit of reading ingredient lists!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:56 AM   #103  

Height: 5' 7"

Today is day 10 for me- I woke up and it is only 2:30 a.m but I am not sleepy so I figured I would get on and post and then maybe try to get back to sleep for a couple of hours before my day starts. I am hungry so maybe that is what woke me I am going to have a piece of breakfast cheesecake with some sparkling water.

RNMom welcome onboard and good luck.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #104  
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Talking Day 5!

Good Morning Ladies......

I woke up this morning at 6:30 am est and to my suprise found that it was still dark out..... The end of summer is definately here. I am happy because Fall is my fav season, but I like the longer days of summer.

My meal plans have been going great. I made that lazy cabbage roll reciepe last night.... Yum-O! I have plenty of left overs to bring for lunch for the rest of the week.

The count down to the puppy has begun! Saturday is only 2 days away and I can't wait. What do you think about the name Pedro for a little boy?

Pearlrose- I hope you got some sleep! I had trouble sleeping yesterday and work was NO fun.

RNmomo- Welcome! You'll do great! I too have more caffiene that recommended... I has hurt me in the past and doesn't appear to be again this time. I think the reccomendation is because Caffiene can trigger cravings in some, but if you drink the extra and don't become a cookie monster you will fine.

Barb- Your dinner sounds devine! I love fish! I hardly ever make it at home though. We go out specifically to eat fish sometimes.(we = DBF & I)

Well I guess I should think about getting ready for work.....
Check you chickies laters!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, Holly and akacutie, and anyone else I may have missed!
Closed Thread