Confused about yogurt?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I've never been a fan of yogurt, but am trying to incorporate it in to my diet, to help with my dairy requirement. Much like many other previous foods that I didn't like, either my taste buds grew up, or this diet helped, because now I actually kind of like it!

I went back and read the materials, but I'm still a little bit confused, and want to make sure I'm not sabotaging myself.

For P2, I can have 4 oz. of fat-free, fruit flavored, artificially sweetened yogurt, if I remembered all of that correctly? Does it also have to say "no sugar added," because that's what I'm having a hard time finding. It just seems like there is so much sugar in then, although I know some of that is from the milk itself, so that's a little different.

I've been careful to pick up the ones that have a lower sugar count.

For example, the one I have now is:

Archer Farms (Target brand)
    Blueberry-Pomegranate
    Fat Free
    Sweetened with Aspartame
    6 oz. (but I know to only eat 4 oz.)
    90 calories
    0 fat
    10g sugar

Some I looked at yesterday were as high as 22g of sugar!

Is this "legal?" If not, do any of you have any specific brands that are legal that you like? I stood staring at the yogurt for 20 minutes yesterday, and this was the best I could come up with. lol I'm willing to look harder, I just don't know if I'm looking for the right thing. Thanks!
  • What are the ingredients?
  • cultured skim milk, blueberries, pomegranate juice concentrate, modified corn starch, whey protein concentrate, natural blueberry and pomegranate flavor, natural flavors, gelatin, potassium sorbate (preservative), coloring, aspartame.
  • It looks good to me. The juice concentrate is the only thing that I see that might be a problem. If it doesn't cause cravings then it should be okay. I used to really love buying Bluebunny Lite but my stores don't carry it anymore so I tend to buy the Kroger store brand which really doesn't help you since I doubt you have Kroger's.
  • Any of the yogurts labeled "lite" should be fine. Most are art. sweetened.
  • Quote:
    I used to really love buying Bluebunny Lite but my stores don't carry it anymore so I tend to buy the Kroger store brand which really doesn't help you since I doubt you have Kroger's.
    Thank you both! I did find a NSA at Publix, but it wasn't fat free.

And Barb, I do have a Kroger, so I'll check there. They actually have some things on sale this week I want, so I'll check while I'm there.

I have SuperWalmart, SuperTarget, Kroger, Publix and Trader Joe's within 10-15 minutes, so any of those are fine. But if what I got works, then I'm cool. I'll just watch for the lower sugar versions.

Thanks!
  • I like dannon light and fit. it is low carb, low fat and low sugar. i get it at Kroger or Wal-mart.
  • I think I tried that one last week, and liked it. Thanks!
  • Quote: I like dannon light and fit. it is low carb, low fat and low sugar. i get it at Kroger or Wal-mart.
    LOL, that's the yogurt I eat.. I like the Strawberries N Cream and the Vanilla N Cream.. it's carb and sugar controled too. Dunno if that's the one you get or not but I like it and don't give me headaches cause it's not too sweet
  • The Kroger Lite has a French Apple Pie that I REALLY love which is why I usually get that.
  • Even the plain, no sugar, basic stuff has 17 g of sugars (per 8 oz serving)...cuz they're milk sugars!
  • Quote: I did find a NSA at Publix, but it wasn't fat free.
    South Beach allows low fat. It doesn't have to be fat free. That may give you some more options. My Publix has a Publix brand No sugar added/Fat Free yogurt that is tart but good.
  • What about KRoger's Carb Master and Fage yogurts? Add stevia or splenda or fruits.
  • I'm honestly thinking of just making my own flavors.

I finally found one I adore, that only has fruit juice added as a sweetener (and the sugars were still low, so supposedly not a bunch), but I realized I wanted to eat everything the afternoons I had them for lunch. So, I guess it's not for me.

So, now I'm thinking of plain yogurt with a bunch of fruit and maybe a squirt of agave nectar (or if I ever get stevia, maybe that?).
  • I'm actually thinking of making my own yogurt. Apparently it's really easy to do and I can strain it to make greek yogurt. That's got to be cheaper! After that I figure I can powder some dried fruit and make my own flavors. I have no idea if it will work but might as well give it a try