South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default Sabataging thoughts and how to return to the Beach

Well, after a horrible almost year of not checking in and returning to my old pre-beach habits due to surgery and stress, I have successfully gained back just about everything I lost a couple years ago.

Learn from my mistakes, these are the most diet sabatoging thoughts that came up over the last 1 1/2 years. Counter thoughts in blue I have to keep reminding myself so I won't fall again:

-Just one won't hurt my diet.

One won't hurt but I don't stop at one. It's always well, one more.

-I've been so good lately, I deserve this treat

Food shouldn't be a treat every day. I need to find non-food ways of treating myself. And a food treat often isn't really a treat. And face it-a pound of chocolate is not a treat, it's a binge.

-But, its a special occasion-we don't get together that often and we don't eat this that often so I need to eat as much as I can (well, it didn't really start out as eat as much as I can-it was really just one more won't hurt several times)

But how many special occasions do we have a month? By the time we factor in the weddings, baby showers, birthdays, holidays, going away parties etc, it could easily be several a week if you aren't careful

-it doesn't matter if I'm fat, I'm already married to a wonderful man and if people don't like me because of my weight, that's their problem.

Hubby does love me but he's concerned with my weight, he wants me to be healthy and let's face it people do tend to judge at first appearances. I want hubby to be proud he married me, not embarrassed to take me anywhere. When I lost 45 pounds a few years ago, he was so proud of me, he bragged to all his friends and co-workers about what a great job I was doing.

-it doesn't matter what I weigh, I've been this way most of my adult life, why bother?

Excess weight is a health problem, feet and knee pain, high blood pressure, low energy.

And on days when I'm feeling extrememly childish:
-but I want to eat what ever I want, when I want-it's not fair that others can eat that way. Why can't I?

Don't compare myself to others, how do I know that they aren't modifiying their food intake at some other point to have a special indulgence? They may not have the same health issues I have.

So as of Sunday, I'm back on the Beach-phase 1. And doing pretty good, the low grade headaches have hit the last couple days. I've changed jobs so I've reduced a lot of the stress in my life. My commute is way less, so I have more time (which I'm not doing much with-old habits are hard to break). I've recovered completely from surgery-well I mean it's been 8 months, please it's time to stop milking that excuse. If we really wanted children we could adopt or be a foster parent, I need to face the fact that children really aren't a priority in our lives-see previous message about uterine fibroids.

I'm reading a great book-yes for those of you not familiar with me, I tend to do big book reviews. I won't do it because I got in trouble the last time-too much information. but I'll add this link. (Which I know may be removed.)
The Beck Diet Solution by by Judith S. Beck

"The Beck Diet Solution is different from other diet books because it is a psychological program, not a food plan. With the step-by-step program in this book, you will learn specific techniques to stay on your diet, lose weight, and maintain your weight loss for life. The Beck Diet Solution is based on clinical research in Cognitive Therapy"

http://www.beckdietsolution.com/

Sarah in MD

Last edited by sarahyu; 08-19-2008 at 01:54 PM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Sarahyu! Glad you are fully recovered and surgery went well. And glad to have you back. Your thoughts and counter-thoughts are great! I know a few of the SB chicks have been using the Beck solution in conjunction with the beach. I read the book some but couldn't get into it. Honestly, seemed like too much work to me, but if it works for some, that's wonderful. We all have to find out own paths.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #3  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Welcome back Sarahyu!! I still rely on your wonderful dump chicken recipes. In fact I think I need to make up a bunch before this baby is born--what wonderful and simple dinners!
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

It's good to have you back with us again, Sarayu! We missed you!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #5  

Welcome back to the beach!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #6  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome back chick, good to see you posting again.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote