South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #31  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean32882 View Post
Mel, high fiber foods don't help my constipation.. I've tried everything.. thats why I'm going to the doc.. it's a bigger problem than most here think.

Yep, go to the doctor. Do they have any free clinics around you? Maybe you could qualify for one of them, in this county there is a free clinic for people who aren't insured. Anyhow it does sound like a serious problem. Have you tried any of those things like Dulcolax, miralax and stuff? You could try something like that every few hours or so until you are able to get up with a doctor.

Good luck and hope you do get better. I'm not a doctor of course, and yes he is the one to tell you what to do, but there's some common sense involved in this to for a layperson to give some sort of advice: I know you said high fiber doesn't work, but keep trying it, salads with v-8 juice (high fiber kind) as a beverage, metamucil drinks, dulcolax (um, don't do the metamucil and dulcolax all at once, just follow the bottle's instructions if you were able to get your hands on some) and keep drinking plenty of water, plenty and plenty of water, and fruit juices, until you can see a doc.

Forgot to also mention: strong coffee always does the trick for me. Caffeinated. Doesn't have to be black. A couple of cups of that might do the trick! I've had my bouts with constipation too. It's not fun.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-07-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #32  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Hello all,

Well I'm a little confused!

Started Phase 1 on Sunday, all been going well. Haven't really noticed the absence of carbs with the exception of my beloved oatmeal for breakfast.

I went to see my nutritionist yesterday to talk about the insulin resistance and PCOS and how to handle it via a low carb diet. I mentioned that I was going to do SBD and asked her opinion. She said that SBD was a good idea but to skip Phase 1 and go straight to Phase 2 because of Phase 1 being too restrictive. She has also said that it's ok for me to be eating oatmeal, rice, even bread as long as it's whole grain/wheat.

So, I'm not sure where I'm headed. Do I see Phase 1 out? I would like to eat oatmeal again! Do I advance straight to Phase 2? Time to read the sodding book.

Thought I had a plan worked out!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #33  
Determined to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneA View Post
Hello all,

Well I'm a little confused!

Started Phase 1 on Sunday, all been going well. Haven't really noticed the absence of carbs with the exception of my beloved oatmeal for breakfast.

I went to see my nutritionist yesterday to talk about the insulin resistance and PCOS and how to handle it via a low carb diet. I mentioned that I was going to do SBD and asked her opinion. She said that SBD was a good idea but to skip Phase 1 and go straight to Phase 2 because of Phase 1 being too restrictive. She has also said that it's ok for me to be eating oatmeal, rice, even bread as long as it's whole grain/wheat.

So, I'm not sure where I'm headed. Do I see Phase 1 out? I would like to eat oatmeal again! Do I advance straight to Phase 2? Time to read the sodding book.

Thought I had a plan worked out!
WELCOME LYNN! The purpose of P1 is to get rid of cravings for bad sugar, carbs etc.. to DETOXIFY... and when movingto P2, it should be rather slowly, paying close attention to how the foods you reintroduce in react with your system! If you wish, do p1.5.. have the oatmeal, but be sure it's the right kind, not instant! Rolled oats, steel oats are better!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #34  
Determined to lose!

ARGH! I pay my bills online usually pay phone, electric and fuel same week so when I check the bank and see electric and phone, I forgot to check fuel. Just had surprise visitor, the fuel company. Had to pay 454 to keep from shutting off! I've NEVER had this happen before!!!!!!!!! I'm both embarrassed, and in a jam! That brings cash flow down to 50 for the week after yesterdays damage! Good thing I filled up the gas tank while out! Not sure how I'm going to make this last for groceries for a week! Aldi's, here I come .
Old 08-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
Yep, go to the doctor. Do they have any free clinics around you? Maybe you could qualify for one of them, in this county there is a free clinic for people who aren't insured. Anyhow it does sound like a serious problem. Have you tried any of those things like Dulcolax, miralax and stuff? You could try something like that every few hours or so until you are able to get up with a doctor.

Good luck and hope you do get better. I'm not a doctor of course, and yes he is the one to tell you what to do, but there's some common sense involved in this to for a layperson to give some sort of advice: I know you said high fiber doesn't work, but keep trying it, salads with v-8 juice (high fiber kind) as a beverage, metamucil drinks, dulcolax (um, don't do the metamucil and dulcolax all at once, just follow the bottle's instructions if you were able to get your hands on some) and keep drinking plenty of water, plenty and plenty of water, and fruit juices, until you can see a doc.

Forgot to also mention: strong coffee always does the trick for me. Caffeinated. Doesn't have to be black. A couple of cups of that might do the trick! I've had my bouts with constipation too. It's not fun.

Ya actually there is a free clinic around here called Americares, i plan on going there to get some info and see if I qualify since I do live with my parents still and some places basic eligibility on family income which is bull.. so who knows.

But I know this much, I'm gonna have to eat me some major ice cream - that mostly will solve the problem temporarily - cause I'm lactose intolerant.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #36  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Why don't you just drink some milk instead?

Since you aren't under 18, they shouldn't consider your parents income in determining your eligibility. Most often the legal emancipation age is 24, living with your parents or not.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #37  
Healthy mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean32882 View Post
Ya actually there is a free clinic around here called Americares, i plan on going there to get some info and see if I qualify since I do live with my parents still and some places basic eligibility on family income which is bull.. so who knows.

But I know this much, I'm gonna have to eat me some major ice cream - that mostly will solve the problem temporarily - cause I'm lactose intolerant.
Just lie and say you don't live with your parents or something. I hope you can get the medical treatment that you need.

I don't know if ice cream is the best solution.

Do you mind if I ask why do you live with your parents? That's personal so feel free to tell me to mind my own business. I was just wondering if you've recently had to move in due to crazy-high rent, or foreclosure or a breakup with a bf. (Oh my god, that sounds so nosy. I apologize. I was just curious is all!) The economy is pretty horrible right now.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #38  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Well this day stinks and I responded maturely by going way off the SBD reservation. We had hail this afternoon, not the little ice pellets, the actual golf ball sized hail for 15 minutes followed by 10 minutes of moth ball sized hail. Who knew it really got that big?! And it totally wiped out my most of my garden - greens, squash, and tomatoes have had it. I expected a little damage but the tomato branches were snapped off and the big tomatoes all have huge chunks ripped out of them And I'm pretty sure the dark chocolate with espresso bar I just ate was more than 100 calories (thanks to FitDay I now know it was 216 calories). And I'm still really bummed. Oh yeah, and my car hood and trunk are all dented up too. Since it's over 100,000 I'm not going to lose sleep over that.

thus ends my whine for the day

PS - anyone have a good green tomato recipe. I seem to have a lot and they aren't going to ripen so I'd like to use them

Last edited by CyndiM; 08-07-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #39  
Determined to lose!

Cyndi, now you got me wanting to watch fried green tomatos again! love that movie!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
Just lie and say you don't live with your parents or something. I hope you can get the medical treatment that you need.

I don't know if ice cream is the best solution.

Do you mind if I ask why do you live with your parents? That's personal so feel free to tell me to mind my own business. I was just wondering if you've recently had to move in due to crazy-high rent, or foreclosure or a breakup with a bf. (Oh my god, that sounds so nosy. I apologize. I was just curious is all!) The economy is pretty horrible right now.

I'm living with my parents cause I don't have a job and I can't drive until I have a job, and there is no freakin jobs around my area cause it sucks, and I have no experience in anything which makes it harder to get jobs these days. And the reason I have no job is well, I graduated high school (adult ed) when I was 21 and wasn't allowed to have a job then either.. and since I was lik 12 I've had mental issues in which I've had therapy for, didn't do anything.. and so now I figure once I lose weight I'll actually have self esteem and confidence and fight off anyone who gets in my way in life..
Old 08-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cyndi, you poor girl! You must be devastated, I know how much joy you got from your garden and looked forward to all the fresh produce. I've heard you can ripen green tomatoes by hanging the entire plant (roots and all) upside down. I don't know if it really works, but what do you have to lose? As far as recipes goes, the only one I know of is dipping them in egg and cornmeal and frying them. Not SBD friendly, but delicious. I know the Amish make a green tomato jam and a green tomato relish. Good luck using them up.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #42  
Healthy mommy

Jellybean, I'll tell you a little secret... I can't drive either! I mean, technically I know how to drive, but I have never had my license, when I was a minor/teen my grandparents refused to pay for insurance yet did not want me to work, then as I got older and moved out, I worked but could not afford the insurance let alone a car, (let alone my rent and electricity!). Now at 22, still no license or car and a lot of people probably are raising their eyebrows, but it honestly was virtually impossible. I don't know about the other states, but in NC you have to have insurance to get a license, and insurance costs money! And of course, there's the issue of saving up to buy a vehicle that you can get insurance ON... and for me, the past few years after moving out of my rich grandparents house at 18, money has been extremely tight and I've learned what it's like to live the poor life. Luckily, soon I'm going to change all of that, as far as the license goes, 'cause my BF has been wanting to get me insurance and a driver's license and now a car, especially since I'm the primary caretaker of our son. Even if we can't manage the car part right now, I can still drive his, once I get the insurance and license and all.

And it's the same where I live, there are no jobs, even for people with college degrees (BF has computer tech certifications and does this as a side job from the house after work and on the weekends, but has had trouble finding a real job in the computer field so he has to do mediocre construction sort of stuff for the time being). I haven't had a job in awhile so I understand, even before I was pregnant it was really hard to get any sort of job. I was a cashier, and then a telephone book deliverer (a lady drove while I delivered and she made most of the cash AND I had to pay gas)... This county I live in SUCKS as far as all that goes, not to mention there is no public transportation here. So I understand where you're coming from.

But I wish there was a way other than just losing weight, that you could gain self esteem and confidence and fight those peeps off. Losing weight is great and I'm sure would do wonders for anyone's self esteem; I know it will definitely do wonders for mine; but there's more to it than just looking good to gain self esteem. There's got to be other things that you're good at, talents and skills that you have, that you've got to give yourself credit for, and realize you're worthy of self esteem and confidence. Also, another thing in common I see: I was in therapy from around 12 on as well, and through high school, after my parents seperated. I was basically forced to see a school psychologist because the teachers thought I started acting withdrawn and anxiety ridden (today, as an adult, I am quite talkative but still anxiety ridden, so I guess that goes to show that therapy doesn't do much good!) I see it is pretty late now and likely you're in bed, so I will probably repost this and requote you in tomorrow's thread to continue the conversation.
Closed Thread