South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Smile Meatball lentil greens soup? Help me brainstorm here.

Well, running low on groceries and won't be shopping until next Monday. I've kind of brainstormed an idea but my BF told me it sounds disgusting. I however thought it sounded good, reminds me of the Campbell Selectives Italian wedding soup (with little meatballs, spinach, and tiny round noodles in a chicken broth.)

So I have some ground beef, onions, lentils, and mustard greens (I find this to be a good spinach replacement when I have no spinach.) I also have chicken boillioun, seasonings, garlic, and celery.)

I thought I would pre-cook some lentils and set aside.

I thought I could make up tiny little meatballs with the ground beef, bake them, drain any accumulated grease, and set aside. Then start a pot with the chicken stock made from boilloiun (no, I can't spell it) and add the meatballs, celery, onions, mustard greens and lentils.

I thought it sounded good... but any suggestions or tips or am I crazy, does this sound disgusting?
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The lentils might be a little odd, but maybe your boyfriend would react more positively if you said you were making Italian Wedding Soup with lentils instead of the orzo? That's basically what you're doing, and I think it sounds pretty good.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #3  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

He's strange, he thinks the idea of meatballs in a soup is just plain revolting (but he does love meatballs.) As for lentils, he said, 'wth is a lentil?" when asked if he would eat them. I wonder if he'll be fooled into thinking they're some sort of noodle or grain if I cook them until they're mushy...

I like your idea; tell him it's italian wedding soup with lentils... Then again, I'm not sure if I should include lentils in this soup b/c I'm afraid he won't eat them. I'll give it a try.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #4  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

I think it sounds like it will be good. I would throw some zucchini in there too if you have any but then again, I seem to be eating a lot of zucchini lately! - I put it in everything!

I don't know about you and your BF but I had to stop tailoring my cooking to DH. It was so difficult for me when we first got married b/c I would try so hard to cook stuff he liked and either only he liked it or neither of us did (usually b/c of some small tweak I made to make our food healthier) - anyway, once I finally stopped, I told him I was cooking what I like and if he wants some he is welcome to it but if not- fix yourself something else. This isn't a diner!

probably not the best way to handle that problem but it worked for me. DH actually eats a much wider variety of food now than when we got married and I don't stress out wondering if he will like what I make.
- Now I've met my unsolicited advice quota for the day. :P

Last edited by Thin4Good; 08-04-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/233/150

Height: 5' 3.5"

Mmm...sounds pretty good to me! If your bf won't eat it, you can send his portion up my way!
erikalea is offline   Reply With Quote