3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Salad Question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/148224-salad-question.html)

JellyBean32882 08-04-2008 10:48 AM

Salad Question

I get heartburn from salad dressings, is there any alternative to add onto salad in place of dressings?

greeneyes490 08-04-2008 10:51 AM

You don't have to use salad dressing at all....just have the salad as is. Is it all salad dressings that give you heartburn?

ladybugnessa 08-04-2008 10:54 AM

so every and all salad dressings give you heartburn but plain salads don't?

i use greek yogurt and salsa mixed as salad dressing.

hmacneil6 08-04-2008 11:00 AM

Lemon Juice & Olive oil w/ S&P are always a light alternative.

JellyBean32882 08-04-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugnessa (Post 2300728)
so every and all salad dressings give you heartburn but plain salads don't?

i use greek yogurt and salsa mixed as salad dressing.

Alot of food gives me heartburn (which obviously was a sign), but since being on this diet I haven't had any heartburn thank god.. I used to get it every single day and always had to take a Prilosec..

I haven't tried all salad dressings, but if they are all the same then that's no help to me. And I dunno what dressings we can have on the SBD either. Maybe if there is a mild dressing I could try, see if that gives me heartburn.. anyone know of any?

ladybugnessa 08-04-2008 11:09 AM

have you talked to your doctor about the chronic constant heartburn? it could be a hiatal hernia.

uscarchie 08-04-2008 11:12 AM

Have you tried oil/vinegar? I would just stay away from acidic things if you know that's the problem- so you could do a little mustard and a little olive oil.

Or, I just put avocado chopped fine into a salad, mix the salad up, and my avocado becomes my dressing....

That would be a good fat, with little to no acidity. Put in a little pepper, and you'd be good to go. Should be very tasty!

JellyBean32882 08-04-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugnessa (Post 2300757)
have you talked to your doctor about the chronic constant heartburn? it could be a hiatal hernia.

No, I didn't think heartburn was serious. I thought everybody had it. My dad did mention how a friend of his had to get checked because he had acid reflex and I think he had a hiatal hernia and now has to get it removed or whatever they do.

I don't have any medical insurance either unfortunately so if anything goes wrong with me or if anything is serious I'm screwed. That's life when you're unemployed and can't find a job with benefits.

ladybugnessa 08-04-2008 11:24 AM

heartburn can be very serious....

greeneyes490 08-04-2008 11:24 AM

I have acid reflux and react to acids in foods and some other triggers....but salad dressings have never been a problem (but I stay away from ones with acids such as vinegar)......try hidden valley ranch....I am sure you can find one that you will be fine with.

auntie g 08-04-2008 11:31 AM

You should get checked out by a doctor. Heartburn can be serious! DH had it for years, and we didn't think it was serious either. It took a trip to the ER with heart attack symptoms to find out that it was GERD (Gastroesophogeal reflux disease). The acid wears away the lining of the esophagus, and can lead to cancer. He has to take Nexium daily and have an endoscopy every 6 months. Hopefully you don't have all that going on, but just keep in mind that you should get checked out when you can. Good luck!

KO 08-04-2008 11:51 AM

definitely get the heartburn checked. . .maybe there is a clinic in your area. I use shredded cheese or Parm on my salad and some herbs if its lunch I do a full serving of LF shredded cheese and LF luncheon Meat. . .I just don't like soggy salad
Also Flax and Parmesan are nice too!

JellyBean32882 08-04-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeneyes490 (Post 2300797)
I have acid reflux and react to acids in foods and some other triggers....but salad dressings have never been a problem (but I stay away from ones with acids such as vinegar)......try hidden valley ranch....I am sure you can find one that you will be fine with.

Well I have gotten heartburn from Italian dressings, even the light and fat free ones.. so maybe I will try the hidden valley ranch.. are salad dressings forbidden on the SBD or can they be used?

ladybugnessa 08-04-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JellyBean32882 (Post 2300882)
Well I have gotten heartburn from Italian dressings, even the light and fat free ones.. so maybe I will try the hidden valley ranch.. are salad dressings forbidden on the SBD or can they be used?

salad dressing has to meet the requirements of good fats (olive oil or canola oil or soybean oil) and have 11-16 grams of fat per serving and have less than 3 grams of sugar per serving) and no HFCS...

a serving is 2 tablespoons.

JellyBean32882 08-04-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugnessa (Post 2300903)
salad dressing has to meet the requirements of good fats (olive oil or canola oil or soybean oil) and have 11-16 grams of fat per serving and have less than 3 grams of sugar per serving) and no HFCS...

a serving is 2 tablespoons.

k, thanks nessa