3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > South Beach Diet

South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

SBD & Constipation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
JellyBean32882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 260/190/120

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Default SBD & Constipation

Ok, so ever since I went on this diet I've been constipated more than usual (I say this cause I've always had this problem all my life on/off) and nothing seems to work to regulate me. Sometimes I have to take that nasty lemon sour liquid Magnesium Citrate I think it's called. Am I allowed to take that while on this diet cause I think those are loaded with sodium, am I right? I don't have medical insurance so can't see the doctor about it.
__________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Short term goal - 186 by July 1st 2013
Goal -140 by Sept 1st 2013

*Shannon*
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Member
 
chronicdieter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 76

S/C/G: 165/144/122

Height: 5'3"

Default

Jellybean - try increasing your intake of beans - it really does make a huge difference!
__________________
chronicdieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
JellyBean32882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 260/190/120

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicdieter View Post
Jellybean - try increasing your intake of beans - it really does make a huge difference!

I don't eat beans though, can't stand em. Can't eat bran either
__________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Short term goal - 186 by July 1st 2013
Goal -140 by Sept 1st 2013

*Shannon*
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Shooting for the moon
 
Thin4Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 662

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default

I can't understand how this is a problem if you are eating all the veggies you are supposed to be. I have never been so regular in my life. - I would think that either you are dehydrated or you are not eating your veggies. Possibly both.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
JellyBean32882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 260/190/120

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin4Good View Post
I can't understand how this is a problem if you are eating all the veggies you are supposed to be. I have never been so regular in my life. - I would think that either you are dehydrated or you are not eating your veggies. Possibly both.

No, veggies never helped me, neither did it for my father.. The constipation seems to run in my family and the only thing I have ever found that helps me is lots of ice cream which I can't have now. And I'm certainly not dehydrated I drink Green Tea like crazy daily.

I know I've been really tired alot lately, and that's usually an indication of constipation as well.
__________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Short term goal - 186 by July 1st 2013
Goal -140 by Sept 1st 2013

*Shannon*

Last edited by JellyBean32882 : 07-31-2008 at 10:36 PM.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
beachin'
 
zeffryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 4,191

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Default

mmk....green tea is a diuretic.....if you don't drink water - and a lot of it, you're going to be constipated.

Try drinking as much water as you do green tea for a week and see if it helps.

Just because something is a liquid doesn't mean it is going to hydrate you....
__________________
Maintenance!

100 lbs. down plus a carrot for every 5 more

Last edited by zeffryn : 07-31-2008 at 11:06 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
Bonjour!
 
Belle Mer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 285

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default

Caffeinated green tea? If so, caffeine is very dehydrating and make constipation worse. Plain water will help constipation, as well as a product called "Swiss Kriss." It has Senna in it. If you can't find it, get any natural laxative with senna or cascara sagrada. They are natural herbs, and don't have much sodium, if any.
__________________





On the Beach for Life!
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
beachin'
 
zeffryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 4,191

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Default

also, constipation and lethargy are both symptoms of malnourishment....
__________________
Maintenance!

100 lbs. down plus a carrot for every 5 more

Last edited by zeffryn : 07-31-2008 at 11:07 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
JellyBean32882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 260/190/120

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
also, constipation and lethargy are both symptoms of malnourishment....

LOL, I'm anything but malnourished. I was fine the first two weeks starting the diet, wasn't tired and had some energy. Maybe it's those SBD dinners, but I hate to cook on a daily basis, just wears me out, especially when it's hot as **** in the house.
__________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Short term goal - 186 by July 1st 2013
Goal -140 by Sept 1st 2013

*Shannon*
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
JellyBean32882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 260/190/120

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Mer View Post
Caffeinated green tea? If so, caffeine is very dehydrating and make constipation worse. Plain water will help constipation, as well as a product called "Swiss Kriss." It has Senna in it. If you can't find it, get any natural laxative with senna or cascara sagrada. They are natural herbs, and don't have much sodium, if any.

I drink decaffeinated green tea.. What exactly is Swiss Kriss?
__________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Short term goal - 186 by July 1st 2013
Goal -140 by Sept 1st 2013

*Shannon*
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
beachin'
 
zeffryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 4,191

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean32882 View Post
I drink decaffeinated green tea.. What exactly is Swiss Kriss?
even decaf green tea is still a diuretic. drink some water...
__________________
Maintenance!

100 lbs. down plus a carrot for every 5 more
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
beachin'
 
zeffryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 4,191

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean32882 View Post
LOL, I'm anything but malnourished. I was fine the first two weeks starting the diet, wasn't tired and had some energy. Maybe it's those SBD dinners, but I hate to cook on a daily basis, just wears me out, especially when it's hot as **** in the house.
why don't you cook once a week and throw it all in the freezer in single portions....same idea, better for you.

malnutrition is not just lack of food, but lack of the right nutrients for your body to thrive...a friend of ours was just diagnosed with severe malnutrition...he ate frozen hungry man dinners and fast-food all the time. He's 150 lbs. overweight.....yet his body doesn't get the nutrients it really needs. Just eating food isn't good enough, to be healthy, one needs the right combination of food.

I feel like a broken record talking to a wall here...
__________________
Maintenance!

100 lbs. down plus a carrot for every 5 more
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
JellyBean32882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 260/190/120

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
why don't you cook once a week and throw it all in the freezer in single portions....same idea, better for you.

malnutrition is not just lack of food, but lack of the right nutrients for your body to thrive...a friend of ours was just diagnosed with severe malnutrition...he ate frozen hungry man dinners and fast-food all the time. He's 150 lbs. overweight.....yet his body doesn't get the nutrients it really needs. Just eating food isn't good enough, to be healthy, one needs the right combination of food.

I feel like a broken record talking to a wall here...

Oh I didn't know that you can still be malnourished eating junkfood, I always just took multivitamins in case I didn't get all the nutrients. I had to take em when I was younger too cause I was anemic. I have been eating my fruits and veggies, though can't have much of strawberries as they give me headaches and won't have cantaloupe which I love until tomorrow night.. ever since this diet I've had no need to take aspirin or heartburn medication either.. that's why I'm sticking with it.

Good idea with the cooking and then freezing, never thought of that.
__________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Short term goal - 186 by July 1st 2013
Goal -140 by Sept 1st 2013

*Shannon*
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
beachin'
 
zeffryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 4,191

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Default

Well, based on what you've posted on what you've been eating....you haven't been getting enough nutrients (even if you do eat some veggies and fruits - remember that whole 5 servings a day thing). If you're taking a Centrum multi-vitamin or something similar, you might as well stop....they don't get absorbed by your body much before you pass it..

It is very easy to become malnourished...

I remember many people telling you about cooking and freezing....
__________________
Maintenance!

100 lbs. down plus a carrot for every 5 more
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
JellyBean32882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 260/190/120

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
Well, based on what you've posted on what you've been eating....you haven't been getting enough nutrients (even if you do eat some veggies and fruits - remember that whole 5 servings a day thing). If you're taking a Centrum multi-vitamin or something similar, you might as well stop....they don't get absorbed by your body much before you pass it..

It is very easy to become malnourished...

I remember many people telling you about cooking and freezing....

I take OneSource Pure Performance Multivitamins

I must've been malnourished all my life then and never knew it.
__________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Short term goal - 186 by July 1st 2013
Goal -140 by Sept 1st 2013

*Shannon*
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2