is this normal (phase 1?)

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • *TMI Alert*

This morning when I woke up, which was earler than usual b/c I went to a morning class at the Y, I was famished! - I felt a little nauseous, which I felt was b/c of my hunger. I had a little bit of bile come into my mouth just as I came down to cook breakfast. I had some water right away and a few pistachios while I cooked. - I have been eating like crazy. (but on plan) I even forced myself to have dessert last night even though I was not the least bit hungry.

So- If you were brave and read that. What do you think? Am I doing something wrong?
  • First I want to know why would you force yourself to eat dessert when you weren't the least bit hungry??? Your body was saying it was full so mabey by forcing the dessert you triggered the nausea...... mabey your body is adjusting to healthier eating with less sugar/carbs, or mabey it was a bit of heartburn (which happens to me often)...or mabey it was just a coincidence......I think others have also experienced it and from what I have read it only lasted a couple of days (a kind of withdrawal I guess)......see how the rest of phase 1 goes.....
  • It says it is required.
  • Snacks during the day are "required"....but I haven't read anything about after dinner eating being required. It hasn't been discouraged, but I haven't read in any of the books that it is required. A lot of people want a little something after dinner, so a lot of times it is listed in the menus.

If you're hungry after dinner....eat, but if you're not....don't.

Forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry can cause binge effects...not what you want.

Anyway, I get the same thing in the morning sometimes...and I'm not even on plan right now. It is usually because I'm really hungry, but my body is also very dehydrated from the night. I make sure to drink plenty of water in the morning when I wake up and it goes away - as long as I eat some breakfast eventually
  • Thanks!
  • I haven't read in the book that says to eat when not hungry...I have read that if you are still hungry after a meal then feel free to eat more till satisfied (but not stuffed).....you might have misunderstood something that you read.....I can't think of any plan that would encourge that......this plan basically wants you to eat to keep cravings at bay and keep blood sugar on an even scale rather than having those highs and then lows ....so if your really not hungry don't force it...listen to your body and it will let you know..... my second week on phase 1 I was just not hungry at all and then it would change a couple of days later.... I guess my system was regulating itself to the new way of eating....
  • thank you - I think I must have misunderstood it and need to read it again.
  • in phase 1 you should have

breakfast
    snack
    lunch
    snack
    dinner
    snack/dessert

in phase 2 snacks are not required...
  • lol- so does that mean that I DO have to have dessert and snacks?
  • Quote: lol- so does that mean that I DO have to have dessert and snacks?

yep!

keeps your blood sugar even.... of course snacks can be as simple as a few cherry tomatoes and a piece of string cheese....
  • Quote: Well if that's true I guess I haven't been eating enough food, but I don't feel nauseous. I basically eat 1 cup low fat cottage cheese and a half a plastic cup of low sodium tomato juice at lunchtime (cause that's basically when I get up) and until phase 2 comes along it's the SBD frozen dinner for dinner, along with a half a plastic cup of low sodium tomato juice. I have to go with what I got for food, I don't got much. I've lost weight so far doing it this way the last two weeks, so must be doing something right.

you're losing weight but it's not from following South Beach sorry to tell you.
  • Quote: Well if that's true I guess I haven't been eating enough food, but I don't feel nauseous. I basically eat 1 cup low fat cottage cheese and a half a plastic cup of low sodium tomato juice at lunchtime (cause that's basically when I get up) and until phase 2 comes along it's the SBD frozen dinner for dinner, along with a half a plastic cup of low sodium tomato juice. I have to go with what I got for food, I don't got much. I've lost weight so far doing it this way the last two weeks, so must be doing something right.
    If that is all you are eating then you are definitely not eating enough food. You should read the book. He makes it clear that he doesn't want you starving yourself.
  • I would listen to your body. If you are stuffed, I don't think it is a good idea to eat dessert. Make sure you space your meals out evenly which I know can be hard with work etc..
    You've been losing weight because you're basically starving yourself....if you were getting 1000 calories a day, I would be surprised. The SBD meals have about 300 cals each, tomato juice has about 30 cals per 4 oz. and a cup of lf cottage cheese has around 100 (based on the brand I have in my fridge).

Less than 500 calories a day....

very, very healthy.

Man, if only I could enlarge an emoticon....
  • maybe you don't feel hungry....but a human body cannot function with the amount of calories you are putting into it for very long. You are probably not feeling hungry because your body has gone into a hibernation of sorts - your metabolism is at a stand still, and you are losing weight because your body is feeding itself by breaking down your muscle tissue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_low_calorie_diet

Also, even though you haven't said how old you are....I'm guessing quite young. You are still in your growing years and implementing a very low calorie diet can be extremely detrimental to your health in the coming years.

I remember how I was as a teenager...I couldn't have cared less if someone was telling me this. I only thought about that moment, and if I felt like losing weight - I would stop eating and do whatever I needed to to lose the weight. It isn't healthy. Please educate yourself on this and make a sound decision. Losing weight the wrong way can have adverse effects your entire life. I abused diet pills as a teenager (ie, ephedra)....I still have an issue with my pulse racing (10 years later!)