The Weekend At The Beach

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • Good Saturday morning!

It looks like it's going to be a gorgeous day for my niece's graduation/birthday party. I'm looking forward to a nice afternoon spent at someone else's house for a change instead of hosting the party here. It seems like all the family events end up being at my house.

Jake is going to turn off the water to the house for a while this morning so he can fix a leak in the laundry room. I hope it doesn't take all morning, so I can get some things done before we go to the party. That reminds me, I'd better go out and water the flowers now!
  • Weekend Clucking - July 26 & 27
    Lovely coral and aqua sunrise this morning which means we'll see the sun for a while anyhow. Yesterday was a good day for the Fair with no rain but we sure need more days like that. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

My huge pot of beef stew is ready to go to the Office shortly. The chili yesterday was a big hit. I just hope somebody cleaned out the crockpot so I can just dump in the stew to heat. It looks (and tastes) pretty good. It looked a bit "seldom" on meat so I soaked and added dried mushrooms to poop it up.

After that the day is mine! I may get a chance to play with my new pressure washer after all. Hershey's pool sure needs it and I still have one part of the deck that's a bit grubby. I might even get some more weeding done in the veggie garden so I'll be able to see the tomatoes when they start to ripen.

Cousin Ian, aka Moocher, is up at the Island and will probably show for a "tea" around 11:45 or 5:30. I' getting rather fed up with his showing up at mealtimes. Last time he did the 5:30 thing, I poured him tea until about 7:30 when he finally decided he's better go up the Lake before it got dark!

Time for Fiber One, raspberries and yogurt and then a start to the day.

What's going on in your life this last July weekend?
  • at Cottage! We sure are on the same schedule. Good thing we can merge.
  • Good Morning!

Well, it's already hot and humid here. Today will be one of those "steam room" days we get so often in the south during summer. I don't have any plans for today, so I'm hoping to do a lot of research for my book, some misc. things around the house.
  • Good morning

It's foggy now but looks like another nice day coming. It was so nice going outside yesterday!

Cottage - Enjoy the party not at your house!

Ruth - Have fun with that power washer. Sounds like you should have a snack at 4:30 so you aren't hungry at 5:30

I've attached a pic of the mutant squash I think is from the zucchini plant for your amusement. When I pick some from the possible UFO plant I'll add that too so you can see the difference. It was very yummy though - firm flesh, crispy. Will be good raw and grilled well (could only fit half on the grill!)

Belle - Stay cool!

Same old here - last night I tossed some small plums in the dehydrator for a friend. Not sure how they will work but I love to experiment. I'm doing leathers today with my blueberry purchase. We might also pick raspberries this morning. Then nothing too time consuming. The garden is too wet to do much there yet. I hope that will mean some time in the hammock and a bike ride!

Have a good day all
  • Now that's a scary squash! It looks like a cross between Patty-Pan and a Warted Green Hubbard! Looks like you are going to have a fruitful morning. I would kill for a flat of blueberries right now.
  • Hi chicks, I'm home! I'm sipping some tea and contemplating a couple weeks of Phase I. We had a nice week at the beach and I indulged a bit, but the scale (who apparently missed me and wants to be my friend this morning) says no harm done. But I feel like I need a good round of Ph1 to kick any cravings (there was definitely sugar involved), and get back in the groove. I'll post some pix later. I got home yesterday and made a shopping list and menus for the week, so when I'm done with my tea I'll hit the store and farmer's market and get stocked up. I need to get the lawn mowed and all the sand vacuumed out of the car, then maybe we'll go to the pool and catch the movie on the green tonight.

Good morning Cyndi, Ruth, Belle Mer, and cottage, have a lovely day!
  • Quote: Now that's a scary squash! It looks like a cross between Patty-Pan and a Warted Green Hubbard!
    The squash on the second plant are yellower and smaller. I'm saving seeds to try next year, just for fun It is a really yummy squash and will make great raw veggie chips - just enough crunch.
  • Ahhhhh the weekend!!!!!

Cottage - Hope it's a quick fix in the laundry room. Have fun at the party!

Ruthie - I've never heard of "pooping up" a stew.......... well anyway, I'm sure it'll be delicious! That just cracks me up. I typically am not too weak in the stomach area but that one made me pause and scratch my head.

Belle - Enjoy your day!

Cyndi - HOT DIGGITY DAFFODIL! That's a humongous squash!!!!

Schmoodle - Welcome home! I'm glad the scale was your friend today! I'm avoiding mine.... went to my favorite Mexican restaurant that I haven't been to in over a year (it's just SO good but SO BAD) and I fear that my scale is going to yell at me bigtime. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate today. Make sure to take time out to put your feet up!

As for me, I FINALLY am getting my hair cut, roots done, and "woogies" taken care of. (Woogies are the parts of my eyebrows that get waxed.) Appointment at 10, otherwise not much on the agenda for today.

I think the boys may go to the pool but I'm not going anywhere in a bikini with this rash all over me. I'm just plain covered, and by my calculations, it should be gone by the time it cools off in the fall (they said 1-3 months last week.) It still isn't HORRIBLY itchy (I figured it'd be unbearable like a mosquito bite or poison ivy or something) but I occasionally catch myself lightly scratching it and then realize what I'm doing. I just wish it weren't so ugly. It's starting to go down my left arm, so it's going to be visible to the public no matter what I do, I guess. I was hoping it'd stay between shoulders and hips like it has been.

Well, the rare Spotted Weezle needs to get a little cleaned up before getting her hair done. Hope everyone has a great day!

Lisa
  • Cottage - have fun at the party. It's amazing how often you need to use the water when you don't have any...

Ruth - You're so funny! Don't we all have people like that in our lives?

Belle- I hear you on the hot and humid. Ack! I went out to set the sprinklers for the garden and water the flowers...already it was unbearably humid.

Cyndi - Wow. Nice Zuke. mmmmmmmmm blueberry leather. I miss the days of having a dehydrator....maybe I can swipe it from my dad. Have a good day in the hammock!

Schmoo - Nice to have you back! It sounds like you had a good time

--

We watched movies last night until much too late - DH was making a snack in the kitchen, dropped a bowl and cut his foot. I thought we might have to take a late night run to Emergency...but I guess it is ok. Try getting a man to admit otherwise though!

DS didn't have the best of nights last night...for whatever reason, he has been wanting to sleep next to his door and drags all his pillows and blankets next to the door to sleep (?). When he finally wakes up...he doesn't know where he is and cries...oy.

I was woken up by a really loud thud this morning....but I can't figure out what it was...? I hope I wasn't dreaming it.

Today is a day of cleaning and organization. DH wants to go see Batman tonight, but with this being the last weekend before we leave..I'm not sure.
    I have uber amounts of laundry to fold and put away, dishes from last night that I didn't get to and some carpet cleaning to do - DS spilled juice and sat on his popsicle last night during the movie.

Have a fun, relaxing day ladies!

Weezle - simulposting! If you have fabulous hair, nobody will notice your spots!
  • I just finished making the crustless strawberry pie. I'm trying it in an 8 x 8 Pyrex this time to see if it makes a nicer presentation for a buffett like this. I'll cut it ahead of time and serve it with Cool Whip next to it if they want to add it. I've got lots of grapes. I'll put some of those for the kids to snack on before it's time to eat. I still need to make the brownies but the laundry is in the washer.

I REALLY need to remove the hackberry tree in the backyard. It looses so many leaves. I emptied the pump basket around 11PM, again around 4:00AM (don't ask me why I woke up but I did and it was half full). At 8:30AM the basket was totally full and the impeller was starting to get leaves in it. I have two guys offering to loan me chain saws. I wonder how hard it would be to do. The tree is about 30 feet tall and right next to the fence and overhangs the pool. I'm thinking I may need an adult to help me to do it safely.
  • Morning all! I am hot and sweaty after working in the yard putting down newspaper and mulch to squish the weeds. It must be a zillion degrees out there already.

Not much happening here. My guys are all still asleep and I've been up for 5 hours working. Grilling fish this afternoon is about all I have on my plans for the day other than "house stuff"...
  • Good Morning Ladies!!! Happy Saturday!!!

Cottage - Enjoy the party.....we all know you're the hostess with the mostest, but I know you'll enjoy someone else taking the reigns. Just be sure to stay out of the kitchen as much as possible.

Ruth - Glad to hear that the fair was good yesterday. I'm with Weezle: "Pooping up" your stew made me laugh hard! I'm assuming you meant plumping up.....but pooping up gives it a whole new meaning!

Belle - Hope the book continues to come along smoothly!

Cyndi - That squash is amazing! Glad to hear that it taste good too! Have a lovely day getting things done. Hopefully it will dry out a little for you so that you can work in your garden tomorrow.

Schmoodle - Welcome back!!! How nice for you that the scale is your friend today. Here's to knocking out the cravings on p1 and seeing a drop!!! Enjoy grocery shopping today!

Weezle - Enjoy your day of pampering. And like Zeff said, if your hair looks great, then no one will notice the spots.

Zeff - Your poor ds.....silly boy, I hope you all can figure out what he's trying to do. Keep working on that laundry. And if you get to the movies, I've only heard AMAZING things, so enjoy!

Barb - Please be sure that you have someone help you with the removal of the tree. It sounds like a big job and I'm sure you don't want to hurt yourself.

Cat - Don't you just hate it when your family sleeps in and you're up at the crack of dawn. I let dh sleep, but sometimes I just want to go in and yell.....WAKE UP and HELP ME!!! Enjoy your fish!

Me - So last night was the fair. We had a wonderful time, and I managed to pretty much stay OP! I could have made even better choices, but what I did eat was fine. I ended up having a baked sweet potato with margarine & walnuts and a dark choc. dipped strawberry for dessert. I could have had a chicken kabob w/ tabouleh....but that was $13.75!!! Just wasn't going there for FAIR FOOD!!!
    I've got a baby shower to get to in a couple hours then I'm going grocery shopping for the week. Tonight we're headed to our friends for more Bachelorette and taco salads. Should be a great day!
    Enjoy your Saturday ladies!!!!
    Have a good one!
  • Hope everyone is doing well today. I am in for one **** of a boring day... BF is working on weekends with a friend who has a side business (putting up roofs, drafting gutters or whatever it's called, and etc, etc) to help pay the bills. He hasn't done it in a couple of weeks because of the custody stuff that's been going on, but he's back to work with his buddy this weekend, and I'm alone and bored. Nothing to do but some laundry, some dishes, and maybe I could get started on soon-to-be-semi-stepdaughter's room. We've got to move a lot of stuff out of it, so I do need a man's help, but hopefully on Sunday dear BF will be available? Sigh, and he seriously needs to cut the grass. Seriously. I have an irrational fear of those riding mowers, especially this old one he has that sputters (I have a fear that it will blow up for some reason) and I don't do push mowers. I just don't.

The two orphaned kittens are doing well... they have thus far survived, have become definitely adorable, if still quite small, and also playful. And they seemed to have imprinted on me, for when they are hungry, they run towards me mewing. I'm keeping the one who is solid black... who, incidentally, is a girl... and she shall be Babygirl Jr. (My deceased cat's name was Baby Girl.)

DS started on squash today... gerber pureed butternut squash... yum yum.

And that's about all.
  • I'm with you on the housework today...it sounds like that is what most of us are doing. It has been far too long since I cleaned out my stash of "bumming" clothes...so I'm in the process of picking through them and trashing what I don't wear or is just too ratty for even being at home in.

We're having some friends over for dinner tonight, so I need to get the ribs going soon if we plan to eat at any time tonight. Unfortunately I forgot to take them out of the freezer last night...so they are still a little frozen.

I just put the last load of laundry in - and I folded all the already clean stuff. It feels good to check that little mountain of a chore off my list. I'm taking a little break right now and afterwards, I have to clean the showers...ick!!

Good to hear your kitties are doing well