South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #16  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

meeting by conference phone when most people are in the room is a drag. Luckily we have a conference phone with a mute button at home and I have the internet
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 245/233/150

Height: 5' 3.5"

Loriann - I'm sorry to hear that. I went through a few years of no job/bad job/no job, etc. before finding the place I'm at now, where I'm very happy. So you're right, the job for you is out there. I hope you find it REALLY soon!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #18  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikalea View Post
Femmecreole - Good luck with the teaching job. What do you teach? The oil spill stuff sounds nasty - yuck! Do you live near the river and have to smell it?
I'm certified to teach Kindergarten-8th grade. I've taught 5th,6th,1st, 11 years of kindergarten and 4 years of 1/2 day kindergarten computer lab. I also have a web design company. I want to quit the design work and go back into the classroom full time. I do have my computer lab job still, but would rather a full time position so I can lose the design work.

I now live about 50 minutes from New Orleans, so I can't smell the spill. Zeff, if you stay away from the square and stay back on Bourbon, Royal etc, it's not as bad as being right on the river...we could smell it when we crossed streets the were vertical to the river though.

Last edited by femmecreole; 07-24-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #19  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

We like to stay off of Bourbon...especially when we have DS

DH likes to stay on Decatur and in that area. We also like to walk by the river in the square and go to the aquarium. I think we'll just go in September when we get home from Mpls.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #20  

I went downtown for my last visit with the family court counselor. I had to address some of the lies Robert had told about me (he said I had hit Brian) but he had no proof and she said that the interview she had with Brian didn't give her the impression that he had any problem with me. Robert still hasn't had the home visit since he needs to find a place to live first but he needs to get that done soon. She said the report will be written up and sent to the court in about 6 weeks so he has a little more time but not a whole lot. She was able to look in the system and find out that he did have a court date for the criminal trial scheduled for this week but it was postponed until Sept. I spoke to a friend who got an email from him. I guess his criminal lawyer wants $3500 to go to trial and Robert needs $600 for the 6 month Batterer's Intervention class he has to attend. I suspect his lawyer is dragging things out hoping the divorce gets done so he has the money from his share of the house to pay for the lawyers. What a mess!

She did tell me that I should only have to wait a half hour if he is late for a pickup so I sent him an email telling him that. It was miserable waiting an hour in the heat on Saturday.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #21  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Hi everyone, hope everyone's day has been good. I have to cook soon so I don't have much time to read everything.

Um; question. This is embarrasing, but... when we moved into this house, there were roaches. (God, it's disgusting!) We have bombed this place like, 4 times with roach killer bombs. It never seemed to work! BF's ex-wife brought us this stuff, in a big sprayer bottle, called Ortho Home Defense Max. Well, you basically spray around the bottom interior part, and door ways. She said it got rid of her bugs in like, 3 days. (They are unfortunately HIGHLY common in this area. Most everyone has them. Pain to get rid of.)

Well, I am not so sure how that spray is going to get rid of those disgusting things just by spraying around the bottom interior of the house... they crawl everywhere! Also, I'm concerned about my pets. My black cat died, and I'm not sure if it was illness or any of the boric acid powder I had set out... (I am never using that crap again.) There is a momma cat left, with three vibrant kittens, as well as my black cat's two kittens, and then another cat we have that is mainly an outdoor cat and only comes in once in awhile to eat. So that's, 7 cats (yes, we are giving away all of the kittens 'cept for 2.)

Won't that stuff hurt them? Those kittens go all over the place, in the corners, under stuff, and I can easily see them skidding the cat food on the floor into the corners, where the poison will be...

Help.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #22  
Healthy mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb0522 View Post
I went downtown for my last visit with the family court counselor. I had to address some of the lies Robert had told about me (he said I had hit Brian) but he had no proof and she said that the interview she had with Brian didn't give her the impression that he had any problem with me. Robert still hasn't had the home visit since he needs to find a place to live first but he needs to get that done soon. She said the report will be written up and sent to the court in about 6 weeks so he has a little more time but not a whole lot. She was able to look in the system and find out that he did have a court date for the criminal trial scheduled for this week but it was postponed until Sept. I spoke to a friend who got an email from him. I guess his criminal lawyer wants $3500 to go to trial and Robert needs $600 for the 6 month Batterer's Intervention class he has to attend. I suspect his lawyer is dragging things out hoping the divorce gets done so he has the money from his share of the house to pay for the lawyers. What a mess!

She did tell me that I should only have to wait a half hour if he is late for a pickup so I sent him an email telling him that. It was miserable waiting an hour in the heat on Saturday.

Barb, it sounds like things are going very well for you concerning the family court counselor.

I wish that Robert creature would realize how detrimental his lies about you could be for his son, even if Brian is unaware of it. But what goes around comes around, and in the end things will be as they should!

Maybe one day, for Brian's sake, Robert-creature will get the mental help he needs, to be a good parent.

Are you going to be battling it out sometime soon for custody? (I couldn't remember if you had already gained custody, had temporary custody until final determinations could be made, or if the trial is pending.)

I am nervous about my bf's and his ex-wife's upcoming custody thing... his mother has been meeting with her mother, and they are so determined to keep that child. IMO, if she loved her granddaughter so much, she would WANT her granddaughter to grow up with her parents and siblings. What's she gonna do, a few years from now, when the child is old enough to see? And she's angry because her parents have kids by other people, who live with them? Doesn't the grandmother think of how much of an emotional impact that will make on the child? I have asked her that before in the past, when she kept refusing to "allow" her son to take it back to court, but she never had any good answers, other than "well my son is not ready, and [daughter's name] will stay with me."

She's such a greedy, vindictive, spiteful, evil, hateful... urrrrrrrggggh!

Lawyer's trying to get her "testimony" impeached from the court, but there is like, no way he'll be able to do it. After 3 years, of COURSE a judge is gonna wanna hear what she has to say. And it's not gonna be pretty. It's just not fair.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #23  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Just my .02. here. I hate bugs. I live in the south. I grew up in NYC. I know about roaches. I hate them.

I don't use chemical pesticides around pets. Boric Acid really works good for roaches. It isn't good for pets, but pesticides are worse. Pets walk in or lick pesticide residue same as Boric Acid. And worse is they inhale it. Not good. Not good for people, either. Boric Acid has to be placed deep into the area where the wall meets the floor, so pets can't get to it and so that the roaches walk in it. You can try one of those mustard type squeeze bottles, or something similar if you wanted to use it again.

This sounds weird, but have you thought about trying a dehumidifier? Bugs don't like to live in humidity under 40% Ever since we got a dehumidifier, the only thing I've seen is an occasional spider or two. We have our dehumidifier set at 39%.

Also, once you have succeeded in preventing them from coming in, spray the outside of the house around its foundation.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem. I know how gross it can be
Old 07-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #24  
Healthy mommy

That's a good idea to use a mustard bottle, thanks! I'm just worried about the smaller kittens getting under everything... they're able to get between the cabinets and fridge, under the stove, and other stuff. One walked under the stove where I had sprinkled boric acid. I panicked, pulled him out, and gave him a bath (which he did not like.)

I never thought to use a dehumidifier, ahaaaaa! I can get one cheap at the local secondhand shop tomorrow. Thanks!!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #25  
I can do this!!

Afternoon my beach buddies~
Cant stay long ...I'll read posts later on this evening...
Thought i would check in before i start dinner...had a great day...spent some time outside..it was cooler out today... finally.
hope everyone has a wonderful evening..

Sara

Old 07-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #26  
beachin'

Mel - As much as you worry about your cats, you should be worrying more about your son. I converted our household to completely pesticide free - green about 20 months ago. I clean with vinegar and baking soda (and only use boric acid for the hard stains and even then, only when I know that I can watch it). Shaklee's basic H2 and Basic G have been saving graces.

We live in a place with a ton of roaches as well....although we've never had a problem with them. Make sure to clean up really well...they live on the food that is left out and not swept up. I make sure to clean all the dishes right away, bag all the sugars in ziplocks and sweep daily. Since I started making a more conscious effort when we moved into this house, I haven't seen any.

A friend of ours has a serious infestation....it is really really really bad. She is a horrible slob though (sad, but true).
Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #27  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I clean with vinegar, baking soda, peroxide and borax. I am chemically sensitive and cannot use any scented products or synthetic chemicals in my home. Being chemically sensitive can be difficult sometimes, (like avoiding heavily perfumed ladies at church) but I'm glad to be free of chemicals, especially now that I have a puppy. She won't be exposed to anything lethal, at least at home. She's only 5 pounds soaking wet!

Last edited by Belle Mer; 07-24-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #28  
Healthy mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
Mel - As much as you worry about your cats, you should be worrying more about your son.
I DO worry about my son. It's not like he's low on my list of priorities. He's well taken care of. But my son isn't crawling around on the floor in potentially poisonous areas like my cats. Hence, the concern.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #29  
Healthy mommy

Sigh: not trying to be b*tchy and I apologize, but I am sensitive about that. Especially with an evil semi-MIL always lurking around the corner, ready for the day she has a reason to take my child like she took BF's ex-wife's.. Sorry.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #30  
beachin'

I'm sorry, I just read what I wrote...it came out wrong. I didn't mean that you didn't care about your son. I meant that in no time at all, your son can find what you don't want him to. I can't tell you how many times I've found DS doing dangerous things when I just turned my attention for a minute (just today I found him INSIDE the refrigerator....literally). I would hate to see something happen to your little boy

Please forgive my wording I was a bit distracted.

Last edited by zeffryn; 07-24-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Closed Thread