Black bean flour

• Can we eat this on phase 1 (or 2)?
    Black bean flour from Bob's red mill (which is bobsredmill.com)
    (sorry, i can't post links b/c i don't have 25 posts yet )

The only ingredients are black beans....

I'm thinking if it really is like a flour maybe it can be used as a base for a taco pizza or something?
  • NOT in phase 1

in phase 2 you can use whole wheat flour and won't need to use bean flour
  • But we're allowed to have black beans, right? And it's not like there's anything else in this. It's just crushed black beans, as far as I can tell.
  • Quote: But we're allowed to have black beans, right? And it's not like there's anything else in this. It's just crushed black beans, as far as I can tell.
    right we can have BEANS that have a low GI index and take a while to digest.

to grind the beans up to make a flour (vs a paste of cooked beans) is to change it so much it increases the GI of it... and will cause the blood sugar to rise.
  • Quote: right we can have BEANS that have a low GI index and take a while to digest.

to grind the beans up to make a flour (vs a paste of cooked beans) is to change it so much it increases the GI of it... and will cause the blood sugar to rise.
    This is very interesting and I've been trying to do some research about it but have been coming up empty. The only information I can find on black bean flour just gives the ingredients as "ground black beans" and nothing else. I was not aware that grinding the beans would change the glycemic index rating of them. In Dr. A's first book, he actually recommends the use of chickpea flour, so why wouldn't black bean flour be about the same composition?
  • Quote: This is very interesting and I've been trying to do some research about it but have been coming up empty. The only information I can find on black bean flour just gives the ingredients as "ground black beans" and nothing else. I was not aware that grinding the beans would change the glycemic index rating of them. In Dr. A's first book, he actually recommends the use of chickpea flour, so why wouldn't black bean flour be about the same composition?
    in phase 2 flours are fine

in phase 1 NO flours are allowed.

the smaller the particle of food the easier it is to digest and therefore the faster the body utilizes it.
  • found it:

page 164 south beach supercharged

Quote:
    FLOUR: all flour is eliminated on Phase 1, including flours made from soybeans and nuts. cornmeal goes too.
  • thanks for the info, nessa. i was wondering about this as well.
  • Yes, thanks for clarifying that for us, Nessa.