3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > South Beach Diet

South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Black bean flour

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
slow and steady?
 
errantbehavior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Midwest
Posts: 33

S/C/G: 260/234/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Black bean flour

Can we eat this on phase 1 (or 2)?
Black bean flour from Bob's red mill (which is bobsredmill.com)
(sorry, i can't post links b/c i don't have 25 posts yet )

The only ingredients are black beans....

I'm thinking if it really is like a flour maybe it can be used as a base for a taco pizza or something?
__________________

1 carrot for each 10 lbs lost:
errantbehavior is offline  
Old 07-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
ONEderland here I come!
 
ladybugnessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: maryland
Posts: 2,967

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Default

NOT in phase 1

in phase 2 you can use whole wheat flour and won't need to use bean flour
__________________
Nessa
--
on the beach since May 1, 2006
added Points August, 2008
Having RNY September 22, 2009
ladybugnessa is offline  
Old 07-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
slow and steady?
 
errantbehavior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Midwest
Posts: 33

S/C/G: 260/234/150

Height: 5'4"

Default

But we're allowed to have black beans, right? And it's not like there's anything else in this. It's just crushed black beans, as far as I can tell.
__________________

1 carrot for each 10 lbs lost:
errantbehavior is offline  
Old 07-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
ONEderland here I come!
 
ladybugnessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: maryland
Posts: 2,967

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errantbehavior View Post
But we're allowed to have black beans, right? And it's not like there's anything else in this. It's just crushed black beans, as far as I can tell.
right we can have BEANS that have a low GI index and take a while to digest.

to grind the beans up to make a flour (vs a paste of cooked beans) is to change it so much it increases the GI of it... and will cause the blood sugar to rise.
__________________
Nessa
--
on the beach since May 1, 2006
added Points August, 2008
Having RNY September 22, 2009
ladybugnessa is offline  
Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Moderator
 
cottagebythesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Philly suburbs
Posts: 10,055

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
right we can have BEANS that have a low GI index and take a while to digest.

to grind the beans up to make a flour (vs a paste of cooked beans) is to change it so much it increases the GI of it... and will cause the blood sugar to rise.
This is very interesting and I've been trying to do some research about it but have been coming up empty. The only information I can find on black bean flour just gives the ingredients as "ground black beans" and nothing else. I was not aware that grinding the beans would change the glycemic index rating of them. In Dr. A's first book, he actually recommends the use of chickpea flour, so why wouldn't black bean flour be about the same composition?
__________________
Live simply
Laugh often
Wine alot
cottagebythesea is offline  
Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
ONEderland here I come!
 
ladybugnessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: maryland
Posts: 2,967

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
This is very interesting and I've been trying to do some research about it but have been coming up empty. The only information I can find on black bean flour just gives the ingredients as "ground black beans" and nothing else. I was not aware that grinding the beans would change the glycemic index rating of them. In Dr. A's first book, he actually recommends the use of chickpea flour, so why wouldn't black bean flour be about the same composition?
in phase 2 flours are fine

in phase 1 NO flours are allowed.

the smaller the particle of food the easier it is to digest and therefore the faster the body utilizes it.
__________________
Nessa
--
on the beach since May 1, 2006
added Points August, 2008
Having RNY September 22, 2009
ladybugnessa is offline  
Old 07-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
ONEderland here I come!
 
ladybugnessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: maryland
Posts: 2,967

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Default

found it:

page 164 south beach supercharged

Quote:
FLOUR: all flour is eliminated on Phase 1, including flours made from soybeans and nuts. cornmeal goes too.
__________________
Nessa
--
on the beach since May 1, 2006
added Points August, 2008
Having RNY September 22, 2009
ladybugnessa is offline  
Old 07-23-2008, 03:23 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
booksncoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 18

S/C/G: 220/216/150

Height: 5'3"

Default

thanks for the info, nessa. i was wondering about this as well.
booksncoffee is offline  
Old 07-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
Moderator
 
cottagebythesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Philly suburbs
Posts: 10,055

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default

Yes, thanks for clarifying that for us, Nessa.
__________________
Live simply
Laugh often
Wine alot
cottagebythesea is offline  
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2