Quick Q: Are cornish hens okay for Phase 1?

• I'm trying to find the information, but haven't seemed to yet.. Thought it would be quicker to post where some veteran SBD'ers will know.

I was going to prepare them with spices and seasonings, and serve them with cheesy cauliflower and spinach. (I make a good 'creamed' spinach using sourcream and spices.) If I can't have them, then I'll just make chicken breast.
  • Yes, they are fine for phase one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Beach_diet
  • Sure thing but they're pretty expensive around here.
  • low fat sour cream right?
  • They're pricey around here, too. Question, are we allowed to eat the whole hen, or just the breast meat? And I'm pretty sure the skin is a no-no, right? If that is the case, I'd think it would be simpler and cheaper to just buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
  • ya I agree with cottagebythesea....cornish hens are really expensive here as well......and as far as I have read the skin and dark meat are off limits...which on a cornish hen doesn't leave much .......
  • You chickies are right. I assumed M. wouldn't eat the skin and forgot the dark meat. Duh!
  • Thanks for the thread! Now Iknow to stay clear!
  • Hi guys, I just ate the breast part and removed the skin, the rest of the carcass I put on my cat's grave. (She just died, and she used to dig stuff out of the trash... I know, that's weird and gross, lol.)

I used low fat sour cream but instead of making creamed spinach, I just ate it plain and mashed the cauliflower with cheddar, sour cream, garlic, onion powder and oh my god it was delicious! I didn't have the food processor to make SBD mashed 'potatoes' but it was a really good substitute. Even BF liked it.

Thanks for the replies! I checked out the thread last night before I commenced cooking.

I normally don't buy cornish hens, but found them on sale. They are expensive, it's true.
  • Mel, I just use a potato masher - or in a pinch, a fork- for the mashed 'potatoes. I like 'em chunky.