South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/216/150

Height: 5'3"

Question Protein Powder-Newbie question

Hi everyone,

I swear that I did as much of my homework as possible before posting this question. I am still trying to find my way around, but I'm getting there. I am confused about being able to drink protein shakes on P1. My husband and I are doing this and he is a big supplements/protein shakes guy (he used to work at GNC for years). I am sorry to do this, but can you all please take a look at the nutrition facts and let us know if it's okay to have on P1?

100% Whey Protein-Chocolate Flavor

Serving Size (31g) One scoop

130 Cal
25 Cal from Fat
2.5 g Total Fat
0 g Trans Fat
70 mg Cholesterol
130 mg Sodium
5g Total Carbohydrate
1g Dietary Fiber
2g Sugars
20g Protein

Ingredients: Proprietary protein blend (whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey peptides), cocoa, artifical flavor (hmmm), lecithin, salt, acesulfame potassium, cellulose gum, xanthan gum.

I'm no expert at reading labels and all the fake names out there for bad stuff, please help! I'd love to have one of these shakes for breakfast!

Crystal
Old 07-07-2008, 05:35 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Looks OK to me. In fact, I wish I had some of it right now for a breakfast shake!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #3  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Crystal,

Are you choosing protein powder to enhance your work out regimen? Or as a tasty treat?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I PERSONALLY do NOT drink calories nor do I condone drinking food. I think protein shakes are horrid. I think they lull folks into a false sense of what's right and wrong. and unless a person is a competative athlete they do NOT need that kind of nourishment.

eat real food and be more satisfied.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #5  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Protein powders are okay when you don't have time for anything else. I have blood sugar issues so I have to have protein in the morning and occasionally a shake is the only way to go.

Regarding the ingredients, frankly there are better whey protein powders out there that contain all-natural ingredients. I use Natural Factors Whey protein, which contains stevia to sweeten it, instead of acesulfame potassium.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #6  
3.14.10 Bride to Be

S/C/G: 316.4/311.6/200

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
I PERSONALLY do NOT drink calories nor do I condone drinking food. I think protein shakes are horrid. I think they lull folks into a false sense of what's right and wrong. and unless a person is a competative athlete they do NOT need that kind of nourishment.

eat real food and be more satisfied.
Actually, when I down a protein shake (25g protein w/ lite soymilk) I feel the most content and full, like I have just eaten a whole meal. It takes less than a minute to prepare and tastes just like a chocolate shake or chai latte, depending on the flavor. If I don't have the protein in the morning I am absolutely ravenous by lunch time, no matter what I try to substitute it with.

To each his own.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

i have protein in the morning too. a hard boiled egg takes me no time to make it as it's already made and it takes me about a minute to eat... and it's portable I take it to work.. nothing to clean up after it either....
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/216/150

Height: 5'3"

Marathon Mom, I am using the protein shake as part of my workout routine. It is filling and I will include this in my eating plan. I had one this morning, I felt great and wasn't hungry until lunch time.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #9  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Booksncoffee - Awesome - I find that protein powder has definitely helped me in acheiving my work out goals. Good for you - keep up the good work!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #10  
jeep girl

S/C/G: 219/ticker/180

Height: 5'11

I'm new to protein shakes/powders, but am wanting to try!

By the time dinner gets here, I'm just not wanting a big meal. I'm good with eating a balanced breakfast and lunch, but by dinner I'm getting home from work and have a million things to do, and sitting down to eat isn't high on my list. I'm in Phase 1 right now....

What I"m looking for I suppose are some brand names and places to get them!

Thanks in advance for any help/tips!!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #11  
ONEderland here I come!

ya know I just checked the SBD supercharged book and cannot find a reference for where protein powder is suggested can someone give me the citation please?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #12  

Default Protein Powder

I have a scoop of protein powder in my yogurt at breakfast. It really helps me get through the morning without that shaky feeling I used to get a mid-morning from low blood sugar. I think protein supplements can have their place, as long as you are getting lots of fruits/veggies in your diet as well.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/195/160

Height: 5'8"

I think I am taking in more protein than previously just by following the South Beach diet, I can't imagine needing a protein supplement on this diet!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #14  

Shakes are i think the best way to get more protien through out the day. The reason being is because shakes are light or you can make them heavy depending on how much you feel like drinking.

Sometimes you just get tired of eating and you want a nice ice cold drink to hold you over until its time for lunch or dinner. Plus there are so many different flavors of protien shakes so it feels like your getting a treat but your really not.

If anyone isn't for taking protien shakes im sorry to say you dont know what your missing out on.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #15  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhay0803 View Post
If anyone isn't for taking protien shakes im sorry to say you dont know what your missing out on.
I get more than enough protein on this diet without making shakes. I'm eating more protein than I was prior to starting SBD. I would rather get my protein with chewing than drinking. But to each his own.

Last edited by murphmitch; 07-11-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Closed Thread