3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Multi-grain or whole wheat? Best type of mayo? Breads? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/145583-multi-grain-whole-wheat-best-type-mayo-breads.html)

Fat Melanie 07-05-2008 11:47 AM

Multi-grain or whole wheat? Best type of mayo? Breads?

The other day while in the grocery store, getting some eggs, I saw some wraps in the bakery section. I was like, "oooh, those would be cool for Phase 2." But my question is, what kind? On the left there was Multi-Grain, on the right there was Whole Wheat. What's the difference? Which one is better?

Also, I was wondering what sort of mayo does everyone use. I want to find a light mayo (not fat free, but light) to use, that is low in sugar or Phase 1 appropriate.

Also, should I buy whole wheat bread, or that really chunky multi grain breads that are coarse and taste really nutty? There is whole wheat bread that doesn't taste much different from white bread, so I thought maybe the chunky multi grain breads were better for you?

Fat Melanie 07-05-2008 11:48 AM

Oh, and what about salad dressings? 2 tablespoons of dressing a day, right? I want ranch then... what sort of brands are low in sugar or sugar free?

Asian stir fry sauces that are sugar free?

hmacneil6 07-05-2008 12:08 PM

Melanie - There's a sticky in the FAQ section titled "Phase two - How to Choose Bread" that's really helpful and should clear up a lot about what kind of bread to buy.

SoulBliss 07-05-2008 12:08 PM

Making your own dressings is great because you know exactly what is and what isn't part of the end product. Otherwise, reading labels is the way to go!

greeneyes490 07-05-2008 01:43 PM

Ya as soulbliss suggested I just read the label for sugar and carbs....I personally use hellmans light mayo, there is a renee's light ceasar that has no sugar that I love, and for bread, tortialla etc I just check to see if white flour is part of the ingredients list and if it does then i pick a different kind....I start phase 2 tomorrow and I got some whole grain english muffins (going to make egg's benedict with half a english muffin, canadian bacon, poached egg and a mock hollandaise..... but really reading the label is your best bet and then trial and error for taste...some you'll like and some you won't :)....

Fat Melanie 07-05-2008 03:20 PM

Hcmacneil, oops, I should have checked out the stickies first. I have read most of them but not that one. Thanks!

SoulBliss, that's a good idea. I do make a olive oil and vinegar and garlic sub dressing, perhaps I can create a similar salad dressing.

Greeneyes, hellman's is my favorite mayo... here in the south (north carolina), everybody's all about Duke's, but I come from NY so we were raised on Hellman's. I didn't know you had it in Canada (but I should have figured because it's a world wide product). I didn't even realize they had a light... Okay everyone, mayo problem solved! :D BTW, whole wheat english muffins are GOOOOD! I was eating them after I gave birth all of the time, with a egg 'fried' in cooking spray and a slice of cheese. Your eggs benedict sounds delicious. I can't wait till I'm allowed to have whole wheat english muffins..

Hart 07-05-2008 03:26 PM

2 slices of weight watchers wheat is only 90 calories. I think it's because it's far less dense that typical wheat bread. I love it!

ladybugnessa 07-05-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart (Post 2256064)
2 slices of weight watchers wheat is only 90 calories. I think it's because it's far less dense that typical wheat bread. I love it!

yes but does it meet the requirements of 100% whole grain (3g of fiber per 30g or more?)

remember 1 oz is a serving so an entire english muffin is usually 2 servings

Fat Melanie 07-05-2008 03:41 PM

The bread sounds good, Hart, I'll check it out in the grocery store and see if it meets the requirements.

Awww man, english muffins count as 2 servings!? That sucks. They are little and stuff. I wonder if it would hurt to eat a whole one anyway? And then cut back on something else later in the day.

ladybugnessa 07-05-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Melanie (Post 2256071)
The bread sounds good, Hart, I'll check it out in the grocery store and see if it meets the requirements.

Awww man, english muffins count as 2 servings!? That sucks. They are little and stuff. I wonder if it would hurt to eat a whole one anyway? And then cut back on something else later in the day.

actually yeah it would hurt.

30 grams is one ounce. ONE OUNCE is a serving.... if you DOUBLE it you will cause your blood sugar to rise too high... it's better NOT to double your grains or fruits esp in the beginning...

the whole point behind SBD is to get your blood sugar even and keep it even to keep hunger controlled.

eating 2 grains at once and causing your blood sugar to spike defeats the purpose.

zeffryn 07-05-2008 07:15 PM

She's right, Mel.

I learned the hard way. I thought I was introducing grains and fruits slowly enough at first...not so much. Stick to the recommended amounts and you won't find yourself gaining.

:)

Hart 07-05-2008 11:29 PM

Yes nessa the WW wheat does meet the reqirements

chipper15173 07-06-2008 07:45 AM

my fav mayo is the new one by kraft. "light mayo made with olive oil" it has such a good mellow taste. not over powering. bread what ever has the highest fiber, less carbs, and 100% whole grain/wheat

Fat Melanie 07-07-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugnessa (Post 2256079)
actually yeah it would hurt.

30 grams is one ounce. ONE OUNCE is a serving.... if you DOUBLE it you will cause your blood sugar to rise too high... it's better NOT to double your grains or fruits esp in the beginning...

the whole point behind SBD is to get your blood sugar even and keep it even to keep hunger controlled.

eating 2 grains at once and causing your blood sugar to spike defeats the purpose.

Ahhh, I see. I gotcha. I didn't think of it in those terms, I was just thinking "it's little!" heh. Thanks for the info. Hmm, I guess I could deal with half an english muffin with an egg and a slice of cheese. That wouldn't be the end of the world really, I could top it with a slice of tomato or something as the other "slice of bread" to make the "sandwich." Or just it eat as is, half the muffin with egg and cheese (or whatever else I come up with) and eat it like a little pizza.

Fat Melanie 07-07-2008 03:24 PM

Chipper- good mayo suggestion, I've been wanting to try that.