South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/120/120

Height: 5 foot 3 inch

Default South Beach and busy social life!

Can anyone share some tips for staying on plan at social events? We have at least 2 social events every week (next week I have a wedding to attend and a barbeque the next day).
I am determined to do this as I am so tired of not being able to wear any of my clothes and wanting to cover-up al the time!
thunderbegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I just went to a wedding yesterday. We were served a lettuce salad. Dressing was two choices on the table. I usually take my own in a little container in my purse. Main course was chicken breasts (scrape off the heavy sauce) with steamed veggies on the side (perfect). Drank lots of water & stayed away from the cake. I usually keep snacks like almonds, string cheese and the like in my purse if I need them.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/297/160

Height: 5'6

I like murphmitch's ideas of bringing your own snacks/dressing. Also...for some social events it is okay to bring a dish...like maybe the barbecue...you can make something diet friendly and bring it for yourself and others to enjoy. Sometimes I also eat beforehand so that I am not hungry. Also...keep in your mind how proud you feel after you make it through the event and are able to stay on track...for me it is more about not associating socializing and fun with eating. Good luck!
KellyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:21 AM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I went to a barbecue on the 4th and took a veggie platter (bell peppers, cauliflower, carrots & broccoli) with SBD approved dip. Also took 93% lean hamburger, whole wheat buns and brownies (which I did not eat). I skipped the cheesy potatoes, cookies and chips served also. Just kept eating those veggies and drinking my diet pop until I was full.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Lots of good ideas here. Taking something SBD friendly to a more casual event is a great lifesaver. I find my bean salad or the Taco Bake is always a hit. As to drinks, soda water with ice and a slice of lime looks like G&T - the bartender will love you because it's easy.

If it's buffet style, check it out beforehand and then load your plate with salad and veggies before meat.

I manage to avoid all sweets by simply saying "I'd love to but I'm diabetic." Somehow that seems more acceptable than saying you are dieting.

Over the years, I've noticed that people really don't pay much attention to what you eat. Social occasions shouldn't really be all about food anyhow.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #6  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Okay.. I haven't resorted to about pulling a cheesestick out of my purse at a wedding... However if I am going to a party I always bring a SBD friendly appetizer and a box of veggie burgers.

At a wedding or catered event - I would eat beforehand and then try to only eat small amounts of SBD friendliest foods...

Congrats to everyone for staying OP regardless of the situation!

Congrats to ALL for not
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

NO one notices what YOU eat.... they are all worried about eating themselves... so make your choices based on what you want.

I went to a BBQ on Saturday... ate meats and fruit mostly... no desserts no alcohol... i had club soda with lime folks assumed it was a gin and tonic...

oh and I always EAT before i go to something where i have no control over the food...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #8  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Nessa.. I love the club soda and lime tip... I often do that too, but w/ diet tonic. Question - Would you recommend club soda over diet tonic and lime?? Thanks a million for all your tips.

Last edited by Marathon Mom; 07-07-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/120/120

Height: 5 foot 3 inch

Thank you for all your suggestions. I agree that people don't notice what you eat and you have to be accountable to yourself only. I also know that I will feel great when I am able to stay on this plan while at parties.

I am going to eat beforehand and stay on track!
thunderbegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Mom View Post
Nessa.. I love the club soda and lime tip... I often do that too, but w/ diet tonic. Question - Would you recommend club soda over diet tonic and lime?? Thanks a million for all your tips.

i would count club soda as water
i would count diet tonic as soda

personal choice....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote