South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 118/123/112

Height: 5'3

Default Phase 1... Water weight or fat?

Ok so I just started following this deit today and obviously it seems like a bit of a starvation diet (Phase 1) but Im baring with it. My question is... the promise of losing 8-13 pounds in the first week is this water weight or fat?? and is it actually noticable of its waterweight? Im 123 lbs 5'3 and I want to drop to about 110-112. I want to lose weight in the midsection specifically first. So for anyone who tried it will thes 1st two weeks make a difference?

Thanks!
Noraa627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Noraa!

I think you are confused about Phase 1 being a "sort of starvation diet". You get plenty of satisfying, healthy things to eat on Phase 1 and should never feel hungry. If you get hungry, go ahead and eat something, just make sure it is Phase 1 compatible. We don't focus on counting calories, especially during Phase 1. Instead, we focus on eliminating cravings for sugars by avoiding all grains, sugars, vegetables high in sugar, and fruit. And that's just what will happen if you follow Phase 1 correctly.
There is no "promise" that you will lose 8-13 pounds in the first week, or even in the first 2 weeks, either. A lot of people do, and I lost 11 pounds the first time I did Phase 1. But everyone's body and metabolism is different, and some people have reported a very small weight loss initially. I believe it depends on what kind of food you were eating before you started this diet, and your fitness level. But, you will notice a difference inches, particularly in the belly area.
Good luck, and we hope you post often! We have a Phase One thread going on, and also come and join us in the daily thread!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

after the first 2 weeks of the diet, I dropped a pant size.

Starvation diet? Really? I've never been hungry on South Beach. If anything, I started eating more than I had been and just started making better choices.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

you want to lose 15 pounds total. you will probably lose 10% of that if that much and that's going to be about 1-3 pounds total for phase 1.

the rest could take you 6 months to take off depending on how badly you were eating prior to SBD

as for a starvation diet... maybe you'd better post your menus.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #5  

Today

for breakfast I ate an egg omlet with 3 eggs (white only) and about 1/2 cup of vergetables

for a snack, I ate 1 Laughing cow cheese
for Lunch I ate 1 can of tuna
for dinner, I ate 1 more can of tuna and 1/4 cup of fava beans
And now I ate about 10 small peanuts

Only 1-3 pound like this for 2 weeks?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noraa627 View Post
Today

for breakfast I ate an egg omlet with 3 eggs (white only) and about 1/2 cup of vergetables

for a snack, I ate 1 Laughing cow cheese
for Lunch I ate 1 can of tuna
for dinner, I ate 1 more can of tuna and 1/4 cup of fava beans
And now I ate about 10 small peanuts

Only 1-3 pound like this for 2 weeks?
no wonder you're hungry

where did you get the meal template from

breakfast
make that one egg two whites add some milk or yogurt have coffee or tea if you so desire did you cook the egg and veggies in good fat?

snack
how about some green peppers with that laughing cow cheese?

what else did you have besides tuna at lunch?
veggies I hope 2 cups worth
and maybe 1 tablespoon of fat or 2 tablespoons of some good south beach legal dressing and 1/3-1/2 cup of beans

then you need an afternoon snack
more veggies and protien or dairy here

dinner should look a lot like lunch

i don't think you understand SBD... did you read the book?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #7  

No I actually didnt get the book yet but I am going tomorrow to get it. This is just based on gathered information from the internet. Also, I ate alot of vegatables, especially mushrooms in between with my lunch and snacks but after I get the book I will make sure to read it carefully.

I sure hope I lose more than 3 pounds within Phase 1 though. Im not crazy aneroxic or anything. Prior to this, I was actually a VERY VERY VERY heavy eater but I want to lose weight especially the excess in my thighes and stomach, the rest following.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Nullgal, here is a link to a thread in our FAQ section that will help give you guidelines for planning your meals. But please DO get the book and read it thoroughly. It's very important for you to understand just how this diet works.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56861
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noraa627 View Post
No I actually didnt get the book yet but I am going tomorrow to get it. This is just based on gathered information from the internet. Also, I ate alot of vegatables, especially mushrooms in between with my lunch and snacks but after I get the book I will make sure to read it carefully.

I sure hope I lose more than 3 pounds within Phase 1 though. Im not crazy aneroxic or anything. Prior to this, I was actually a VERY VERY VERY heavy eater but I want to lose weight especially the excess in my thighes and stomach, the rest following.

and if you do not lose 3 pounds what will happen?

SBD is not a diet. it's a lifestyle change that you really need to commit to for life...
Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #10  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

It's recommended you eat 4 1/2 cups of vegetables a day. That other 4 cups of vegetables would probably have prevented the hunger you experienced.

A salad under that tuna for lunch (with raw veggies not just lettuce) and some olive oil & vinegar dressing.

A snack in the afternoon. Raw veggies and low fat ranch, hummus or string cheese.

You're going to get very tired of tuna - plus you don't want to eat canned tuna more than 1-2 times a week due to mercury. Can you grill some chicken breasts, shrimp? The sample meal plan in the book cycles through chicken, lean cuts of beef and fish every three days. Remember, even in Phase 1 you should be setting the basis of a way of eating you can live with.

Sorry - I didn't see Nessa's very similar comments.

Last edited by WebRover; 07-01-2008 at 10:21 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #11  

Have you asked your doctor what weight he recommends for you? I don't know your age or bone structure but I am the same height as you and my doctor recommends 130. I never weighed 110 even as a teenager. You might have a small bone structure so it might be okay for you to be that light but I just want to make sure your goal is realistic. Even if it is, you have very little to lose so you are likely to lose slower and might want to focus more on toning exercises so you look smaller. Abdominal exercises can make a world of difference.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #12  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the beach! As the other ladies have said, you need to be eating more. I know it sounds crazy, but your metabolism has to be going all of the time if you're going to lose weight. Eating 6 times a day (and getting some sort of portien in every "meal") is the best way to go. And when you read, you'll find out that phase 1 isn't necessarily about how much weight you're going to loose. It's more about ridding your body of sugar and refined carbs cravings. Good luck on your journey!
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #13  
Supermom

S/C/G: 233/233/175

Height: 5'9

Actually, I didnt start this thread! I have the book and I do recommend it. I'm unfamiliar with the new one, but I picked up the older one for like 5 dollars at borders and it was a great investment.
nullgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #14  

Your true fat loss in Phase 1 will depend on how you ate before SBD and the amount of exercise you are doing. Overall, a good allotment of it will be water. That's especially true during the first week.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

By the way, there is no "promise" of an 8-13 pound weightloss in two weeks. Your loss will depend on how overweight you are and whether or not you have been dieting before. At 5'3", I think you have very little to lose. I believe 115 is about right for someone of your height although it depends on bones and muscles.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote