Nut question.......

• I have a question about the nut serving for SB.....in the book it says we can have 15 walnuts.....now when i buy a bag it is walnut halves....so is that a whole walnut or a half that we are allowed???? I am hopeing it is a whole one cause that would mean I can eat 30 halves ......I don't know how pecans come inside the nut but if it is the same as walnuts it would be the same question......
  • I have the same question
    I have wondered that myself. I guess I assumed it was 15 half walnuts because 15 whole walnuts seems like a lot! Anyone have nutrition info for walnuts?
  • Same question for peanuts
    I've always wondered the same thing for peanuts. Is a peanut the small nut with the papery cover or is a peanut the single/double/triple nut with the cardboardy cover?

For walnuts, I think the double item that comes inside a single shell is ONE walnut. If you are very careful, you can remove it all as one single piece - so it must be one.

However, 14 halves is listed as one ounce in the USDA Nutrient Database, so I suspect that is one SB serving.

And pecans are structured very similarly.
  • You brought up a very good question, greeneyes, but I believe they are talking about walnuts halves, since that is what most people buy. As for peanuts, it's the individual kernel. One good way to measure out your nuts is to just measure out 1/4 cup.
  • I go by the 1/4 cup measurement as well. Also check the serving on the bag itself. The best thing I find is to make individual servings in little baggies. That way I don't over Indulge.