South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #1  

Default "extreme" south beach ????????

I just picked up this week's copy of Woman's World magazine and on the cover is a story about the new and improved version of the SB diet which they are calling "Extreme". Has anyone tried this new version? Do you recommend it?
And, just a general question about the SB diet...If you have 100lbs or more to lose would you suggest SB as a good way to go???

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I think South Beach Living is a great way to go and I think it perfect for the long term large losers. I've lost 70 pounds so far and i will never put any of that back on....

as for the Woman's World Version... I suggest you get a copy of the newest book South Beach SuperCharged and use that as the guideline for how to live for the rest of your life.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #3  

Nessa,
Thank for replying. So the real name is "South Beach Supercharged"? Now I know why I couldn't find any info when I goggled it-lol!!
If you don't mind another question....
I recently found out that I have celiac's disease so I can't eat gluten (protein found in wheat, barely, and rye). So, processed carbs and most processed foods are out for me. Can you eat things like potatoes, rice, or corn on this diet?? And, do you have to cut out all sugar???
thanks so much for your help!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

If it was extreme anything I wouldn't be doing it because I am not an extreme sort of person. It's just a healthy way of eating, and the new version isn't drastically different than the old, just included some exercise suggestions, and updated the food lists a little. But I think it's a great plan, and I am trying to lose 100 lbs.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

No corn or corn products, sweet potatoes, not white, brown rice and any other whole grain. I actually eat very little whole wheat stuff. Quinoa is a yummy whole grain.
You cut out all refined sugars/starches. But the natural sugars found in dairy products or fruits are okay for the most part. You can use artificial sweetener, stevia, and some of us use agave nectar too. But no white sugar. SB is all about not eating processed foods, so you should do fine on it.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 06-19-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #6  

Schmoodle, thank you for your help!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

lots of folks with Celiac do well with SBD....

sweet potatoes, quiona and oatmeal are my staples.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #8  

Nessa,
Good to know. It has been hard trying to find a diet that can accomadate all of the things I can't eat. Thanks for your help.
Now, I have to determine if i can bare to give up sugar I think that part will be very hard for me.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #9  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Hi Dollyfin,
That is the article in women's world magainze that got me to start looking at the south beach supercharged as well.....I went on the internet to look for some more information on it and came across this website, bought the book (and read it ) and now I have set a date of this coming sunday (june 22) to begin the new way of eating......I did my grocery shopping today to prepare since I will be out of town for a wedding until sunday so come sunday I am ready to start ....like yourself I have about 90 lbs to lose and what I have been doing up till now obviously isn't working so it is time for a change and after reading some posts here and asking some questions I think the SBSC is the way to go. Good luck to you and hope to see you post your progress .....
Old 06-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #10  

greeneyes490,
Thanks so much for responding to my post. I am glad that I am not the only person who read that article Good luck to you, I am sure that you will do well on the program. Hope to talk to you as we work off our pounds
Old 06-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #11  
Determined

S/C/G: 188/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Hi dollyfinn
I bought that issue of Women's World, too and have put the book (The South Beach Diet Super Charged) on my request list at the local library. I'm next in the queue....woot!
Tonight for the first time I did the "interval walking" instead of my usual walk and I broke a sweat early on. It did feel easy to do, like the article claims.
I hope it gives you and me the results we desire
Old 06-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #12  
NewnamesamePam

S/C/G: 287/247/135

Height: 5'7"

Smile

I too decided to start the Interval Walking Program when the new book hit the shelves. I insisted my DH begin it with me. He is not overweight but he is not as active as a man his age should be. I found the Interval Walking to be very easy and I have to be careful of my joints because of advanced arthritis.

Good luck. All of the earlier suggestions from Nessa and Schmoodle are dead-on. It will work for you once you commit yourself to it.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #13  

BabySteps21-I just put the book in my library que and hope to have it by monday. Sounds like we may be starting around the same time!!
PamByr-I was fortunate to recieve and ipod recently and have been using it to do interval walking on my treadmill (arthritis in the knee). It has been a great boost to my general well being but no weight off from it yet. Maybe now that I will be eating according to the diet I will make some headway.

Thanks to every one for helping out!!!! Can't wait to join in the weight loss fun!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'6

I also picked up the womans world too. I brougth the book and read through most of it. I'm going to start SBSC tomrrow .I'm thinking I'm going to have a hard time with giving up sugar.I drink alot of sweet tea . And I have 4 kids around the house for the summer. think i may switch the whole house over to it.Does anyone know if that's a bad idea or not? Are you allowed to use slenda on SB
Old 06-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #15  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Splenda is definitely allowed. I use it a lot. The South Beach way of living is healthy for the whole family. Of course kids would not eat a Phase I diet, they need their carbs, but the whole grains are much healthier than the "white" ones. The more fruits & veggies you can get kids to eat, the better.
Closed Thread