Help with beans, please!

• Aside from refried beans on my Mexican food I've never been a fan of beans. I know that we're supposed to have them every day so how do I work around this without having to just eat refried beans every day (which, I'm sure, will make me grow to hate those too!)? Any beans on the list that are less "beanish" than the others? How about black eyed peas? I've heard they aren't so bad but have no idea how to prepare them if I bought them!

I'm nearing the end of my first week on the beach and don't want my anti-bean status to ruin things for me with it! (I'm also heavily anti-nut but that doesn't bother me wuite as much!)
  • What about tahini and lemon-juice free hummus?

1 15-16 oz can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained
    1/4 c. olive oil
    pepper to taste
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 c. lemon juice (if on Phase 2)

Throw into food processor and process until desired consistency. I also add 1/3 - 1/2 c roasted red bell peppers for roasted red bell pepper hummus. Place into air-tight container in fridge for up to a week. I scoop out about 1/4 cup a morning for a snack at work. I eat it with sliced red bell peppers or pretty much any other allowed veggie. Yummy!
  • beans are suggested... not required...

do you like them in chili?
  • Also - look at some of the recipes for SBD. There are recipes for waffles, brownies, etc that are made with navy or canelloni beans. You can disguise them that way if you like!

Good Luck...
  • Maybe you could mix some black beans into the meatball mixture for meatball casserole. It would take some experimenting to get the consistency right, but it may work.
  • Kim - any reason why tahini can't be included?

I think Nessa is on the right track...mix them with something else. You don't have to just eat a cup of plain beans straight out of the can. Have them in soups, mashed with fresh herbs and garlic, roast chick peas to have as a snack, use them in baking, include them in casseroles, serve food over them instead of pasta or rice.

There are many things you can do with them and many ways to hide the texture and mask the taste. The good thing is that most beans don't have a strong flavor and can easily be masked by other things.
  • Quote: beans are suggested... not required...

do you like them in chili?
    I even pick them out of chili ... or just make two batches - one with and one without!

I guess I got confused by the required or suggested since in another thread I just read (about the girl with the SB Flu) she was told that she NEEDS beans daily. I took that as meaning that they were required rather than suggested as I originally thought. I feel MUCH better now but will still try some of the recommendations on how to squeeze them in!
  • Quote: I guess I got confused by the required or suggested since in another thread I just read (about the girl with the SB Flu) she was told that she NEEDS beans daily. I took that as meaning that they were required rather than suggested as I originally thought.
    The beans should help for those suffering from the "SB flu" since they have P1 allowed carbs. If you're not suffering, though, then I wouldn't worry about it I feel forcing ourselves to eat things we don't like is a surefire way to ensure we don't stick to the plan long term!
  • Quote: Kim - any reason why tahini can't be included?
    Actually, I don't think so. I just omit it because it's so hard to find out here and doesn't taste great to me. Also, I know that it is almost 1/2 fat, about 10% of which is saturated, and that is just too much for me. (That is not a SBD opinion, it is my own.)

I do know that when you add in the tahini, you have to adjust the olive oil and lemon juice amount, but I don't know how much. Thanks for pointing it out, zeffryn!
  • if you can't stand beans, go for lentils! this site has some delish recipes:
    http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/20...cipe-with.html
    and so does our site
  • We can use lemon juice, can't we? It's on the updated list in the FAQs as a condiment. I don't know that I can eat my veggies without lemon juice
  • I see now that it is.

Either way, lemon juice is a big craving-set-off for me. No SF lemonade either because lemon ----> oranges --------> CHOCOLATE ORANGES!! Also, I guess lemon juice = fruit in my head which would be a no-no of P1.

So, it just goes to show that you can make your hummus the right way without omitting the things I omit and get some legumes in.

Sorry, chicks for forcing my anal retentive (tahini), uneducated (lemon juice) hummus recipe on you!
  • Quote:
    Sorry, chicks for forcing my anal retentive (tahini), uneducated (lemon juice) hummus recipe on you!
    I thought it looked pretty good!

I'm afraid the lemon juice would trigger me into a citrus frenzy ... and I'd have to go to a store way out of my way to find tahini