3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Phase I Confusion (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/142542-phase-i-confusion.html)

jabr 05-16-2008 03:03 PM

Phase I Confusion

It is only day 3 for me, but I have done SB before (it was years ago) and so I am a little confused about some things.

1.) Can you have sugar free candy, drinks, soda in Phase I

2.) What Salad Dressings are the best?

3.) And is substitute (ground) turkey okay, even though it is higher in sodium?

I wasn't as strict as most people when I did SB the first time, so I am to be a little stricter this time around. I know that my body is not the same, which is why I have to be more strict this time around.

Thanks for the help!
JABR

jabr 05-16-2008 03:04 PM

One More thing

Oh ya, is peanut butter okay? And if so, how much can you have?

Schmoodle 05-16-2008 03:14 PM

I'll answer what I can:

1.) Can you have sugar free candy, drinks, soda in Phase I - Yes, there is a sweet treat calorie limit of 75 calories/day for this stuff. I think mostly to avoid gastric issues for those that are sensitive to artificial sweeteners.

2.) What Salad Dressings are the best? Those that are made with healthy ingredients - healthy unsaturated fats, no or very little added sugar. My favorites are homemade vinaigrettes made with olive oil or Goddess Dressing from Trader Joe's. I'm sure the chicks will suggest others. If you go by the allowed food lists, you can look at ingredients for things and figure out if they're allowed or not. Check the food lists in the FAQ section.

3.) And is substitute (ground) turkey okay, even though it is higher in sodium? What is substitute turkey? If you mean to substitute ground turkey for other ground meats, yes it's fine. We don't need to worry about sodium since we are eating very little processed food, unless of course you have a medical condition that requires you to monitor sodium.

As for peanut butter, it's fine, but you want natural peanut butter with no added sugar. You want to stick to one serving of nuts/day, and for peanut butter, 2 tablespoons counts as a serving.

zeffryn 05-16-2008 03:31 PM

I think the sweet treats limit was upped to 75-100 calories per day. I also think that any more than that really tends to bring back cravings, even if it isn't real sugar that is being eaten.

Whole Food's 365 Organic balsamic vin. is one of my all time favorites. It has no added sugar and is perfect with just about any salad, including those with fruit. I would suggest making your own dressings, though, just to be 100% sure of the ingredients. A lot of companies like to hide sugar by using bigger names for it. Also, a lot of shelf stable dressings include High Fructose Corn Syrup. I've had the best luck buying dressings from the refrigerated section.

I wasn't aware that turkey was higher in sodium, but yes, it's fine as a substitute. Be sure to buy 100% white meat ground turkey instead of the ground dark and white. Even the 93/7 is ground white and dark. It also can include skin which really ups the fat factor. True ground white meat turkey is 99% lean.

Ruthxxx 05-16-2008 03:42 PM

Please check out the Stickies in the FAQ Section.

jabr 05-16-2008 04:03 PM

Thanks Ladies!