South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #1  

Height: 5'10

Default counting cals on SBD?

How many of you count calories on south beach. Do you find that it helps?

I know you aren't really suppose to but I see that a few of you do, so I was wondering if it helps or not to do so.

I kind of hate counting but it could keep my weight on track if I overindulge in something
Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I do use FitDay every day and think it's made a big difference. In the beginning I was just fascinated by the nutrients and learning how my eating stacked up. Now I do look at calories, fat & fiber every day as another tool in daily accountability. I find that overall it has been really helpful with relearning portion sizes and balance in my meals.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I am only on day 7 of Phase I, and I use FitDay as well. I had no idea how much I ate every day, and I was pleasantly surprised. It made me very aware, though, of how the diet is lacking in nutrients (they warn you!), and I finally went and bought a vitamin supplement today.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

over the two plus years i've been doing this i've counted my calories now and then... but on a regular basis I do not.

if you eat the right foods in the recommended amounts you should not need to.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't count calories on this. I take a vitamin supplement each day. I eat what is recommended and I don't worry about the calories. Some need it for the control aspect, others don't. It depends on each persons needs. You need to know your own body. Is calorie counting something you need? If it is, do it. If not, don't waste the time.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Calorie counting is definitely something I need, personally. Without tracking my intake, I can easily end up with 5,000 calories a day even while on plan. I know that sounds insane, but it's true. I've struggled with compulsive overeating/bingeing, and even when I am able to control my portions, I can end up eating just a single portion of too many different foods. My eating habits were a mess, so I need more accountability/structure other than "avoid processed flour/sugar" and "avoid trans fats and limit saturated fats." I still try to abide by those rules, but for me, there's so much more to it than that, and there has to be for me to be successful.

I also had high blood pressure the last time it was checked, so I'm now also watching my sodium intake, which was way too high when I wasn't tracking even though I was following the South Beach "rules."
Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I've been using FitDay for quite a while now, but have always wondered one thing.....what should my ratio to fat/protein/carbs be? Right now protein is always the highest, and usually fats comes in 2nd with carbs in third.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

This is only Day 2 of P1 for me. However, I'm not counting calories, but I am using WW Flex points this time to keep my portions under control. Being an old low carb dieter, I have a tendency to overdo the protein and of course that can be too high in calories. I am hoping this will help me to learn how to eat healthier and get to the place to where I will train my body to be satisfied with less food and yet only what my body needs.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I did count calories for a while last summer. I tracked them on Fitday for about 3 months because I felt like I needed to learn about portions, etc. and for a sanity check. My calories most days were between 1600 - 1800. It's a lot of work though, and I don't really feel like I need to right now. It can be a useful tool, and I would start doing it again if I felt like I needed to keep closer track of things.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #10  

# Ten to fifteen percent of calories from carbs
# Twenty to thirty percent of calories from protein and
# Sixty to seventy percent of calories from fats.
This is a rough ratio as its based on a 2,000 calorie diet. I found it in an interesting article.. here's the link:
Interesting article
Its a good read on why we really need to make sure we get enough good fats in our diet than just replacing glucose with proteins.. i will mention that the article mentions Evolutionary information. Not everyone believes in it, but the information is still correct.
I hope this helps Zef
This is why SBD is so healthy. It does say we need to replace some carbs with proteins, but it stresses the importance of enough fat in our diet also!!!

Last edited by tdiprincess; 05-12-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #11  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

hrm....my ratios are a bit different. Protein and fats are switched.

Any ideas on how to change it up a bit?

Here is what I plan to enter into Fitday today:

1T. sugar free peanut butter
2 regular slices 100% ww bread, sugar free

10 cucumber slices
1/2 laughing cow wedge

2 hard boiled eggs
1 T. mayonnaise
1 T. mustard
1/2 onion

1/4 cup plain, ff yogurt

1 medium chicken breast
1/2 laughing cow wedge
1 regular piece ww bread, sugar free (for breadcrumbs)
1 egg, raw (for breading)
1 cup broccoli
1 cup turnip greens
1/2 cup edamame
1/2 cup red bell pepper

1 sugar free fudgesicle

I usually have more veggies in my diet, but since returning from camping this weekend...we really don't have many in the house. I'm going grocery shopping tonight.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #12  

We just went veggie shopping yesterday. But adding cheeses and eggs and meat. Cooking with healthy oils. Flax seeds help too. Cheeses eggs and meat have protein too but their main content is fat too. Not just going with chicken because its lean. Fish is also high in omega 3's. Avacados are a good source. The article mentioned that a typical Inuit diet is fish-seal, whale and salmon... All high in good fat.... So, more fish.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm usually pretty balanced with carbs, fat and protein. 60% fat is too high but that's just my opinion and that of my endocrinologist. As a diabetic I must keep in balance.

Going back to Sweet Lovin's original question - count calories if you wish but please don't obsess over them. Just make sure you get enough!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
I'm usually pretty balanced with carbs, fat and protein. 60% fat is too high but that's just my opinion and that of my endocrinologist.
Ditto. My percentages are usually all in the 30s, so I probably average close to 33.33% of each fat, carbs, and protein. I can't even imagine trying for 60% fat--that is a LOT of fat! And as it is, I eat avocado, healthy oils, and nuts on a daily basis. I think my nutritionist would kick me out if I handed her a journal with that much fat in it

But, we all know what works for some may not work for others. I don't think the percentages are hugely important unless you have specific health concerns. And to make sure you do have enough of each, as too little fat can be dangerous, but I think if you're around at least 20% fat, you're getting enough.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #15  

That ratio was also based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Because many of us are eating less than that each day, our percentage should be lower. Basically the article was pointing out that we do need to replace the carbs with something other than just proteins. SBD is a good plan because it doesn't cut out all fats. It ensures that we get a certain amount of fat with each meal. Anything outside of most veggies and fruits have a little bit of fat at least. generally if you're staying on plan with SBD, you're getting enough fat.
Closed Thread