3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Help w/ party food (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/141369-help-w-party-food.html)

hmacneil6 05-02-2008 09:35 AM

Help w/ party food

So I'm hosting a scrapbooking party this Sunday and I'm having a really hard time coming up with things to serve. I know it's just me overthinking, but I'll I can come up with right now is veggies w/ hummus & feta cream cheese. I'd like to serve a couple other things, but my brain is just not working right now (which is SO not me....I love to entertain.). Anyone got some suggestions?

mommamurray 05-02-2008 10:11 AM

How about some cut fruit.
Strawberries and cool whip mmm

Schmoodle 05-02-2008 10:27 AM

I love deviled eggs.
If you want to go to a little trouble, I made this at Christmas. Just replace the butter with SB spread and use lowfat or nonfat cream cheese:

Cold Salmon Spread
2 T unsalted butter
½ cup sliced shallots
1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
¾ lb red salmon steak, 1 inch thick
1 T chicken stock
½ lb smoked salmon, diced
4 oz softened cream cheese
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp black pepper

In skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add shallots and carrot, cover, and cook 5 minutes, stirring once.
Rinse salmon steak, cut in half and place pieces atop vegetables. Drizzle with stock. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. Remove skin and bones from fish. Process fish and vegetables in blender or food processor. Add remaining ingredients and process until smoked salmon is finely chopped but not smooth. Refrigerate until serving.
Makes 3 cups

chay 05-02-2008 10:46 AM

There are some great recipes posted on 3FC for several different appetizers.

zeffryn 05-02-2008 10:46 AM

That salmon spread sounds awesome, Schmoodle. Are you P1 or P2, Hmacneil?

You could do shrimp and cocktail sauce. Tea sandwiches - cucumber and cream cheese are excellent. SBD artichoke dip with ww crackers. SBD bean dip with baked ww tortilla chips.

Good luck!

Ruthxxx 05-02-2008 11:00 AM

Taco bake is always a hit with my friends. It works with veggies as well as with chips.

zeffryn 05-02-2008 11:02 AM

Great idea, Ruth. I might use that at our next party. It would make a fantastic dip.

pamatga 05-02-2008 11:18 AM

Thanks for the ideas and recipes

I have yet to entertain since I have begun dieting (again). Thanks for the recipes. I guess, what I would do is what I suggested on another thread: keep the food moist, warm and cold choices, colorful and eye appealing, attractive tableware, and food arrangement.

I like to decorate as a hobby and food preparation is no different than floral arrangement, etc. We also "eat" with our other senses too. Smell. Sight. Touch. When you think of food in those terms, people forget how many calories is in something. They just eat.;)

femmecreole 05-02-2008 11:35 AM

How about taking some flat outs ..spread a mixture of fresh herbs (tarragon and basil woud be good) and laughing cow cheese on the flat outs and add some spinich and turkey, roll them up and then slice in "rounds" and put a toothpick through them to hold them together? then sprinkle with some paprica...Yummy and colorful too!

SkinnyDogMom 05-02-2008 03:02 PM

fresh fruit bowl/tray
crustless quiche, or make it with the crust and just don't eat your crust
a big salad
set out bowls with olives, pickles, nuts
crockpot chili or another soup, serve in mugs with toppings--sour cream, grated cheese, onions, avacado, tortilla strips/chips for those who want them
If you want a dessert, make something sugar free, like sf cheesecake with crushed nuts as the crust.

hmacneil6 05-02-2008 04:33 PM

Thank you so much! All of these ideas are so helpful! I just need to put a little more thought into it and I'll be ready to go! I'll certainly update on Monday to let you all know how it went.

Thanks again!