South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Hey everyone! Quick fly-by for me! Appraisal notices are sitting on my desk and they aren't going to mail themselves.

Kara: Prayers coming your way!! You can do this. You've made it through more adversity than I could imagine - you'll do it again! We're here for you!

Nessa: I'm fairly certain that Kara and Tom are making Germany their permanent home. I don't remember if it's because he's up for retirement or if there's another reason they won't have to move again. This will be their last move! Yipee!!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #17  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Zeff, I only make it cause I HAVE to. One of my dogs has horrid allergies...poor baby is allergic to just about everything..fleas, (they don't have to bite him, just get ON him), grass, pollen, food etc. I have 3 dogs so I can't just feed it to him. I mix dry dog food with it for the other ones though to make it last a little longer, but I make a HUGE gumbo pot of this stuff every couple of days and the smell of the chicken livers just about gags me...but it's easier than picking the bones out. Chicken livers, peas, carrots and instant brown rice...gross doggie "jambalaya".

Kara, sweetest, take a deep breath. You can do this....go do some yoga or a long run to get rid of the heebie jeebies and then just take one hour at a time. You are a fantastically strong person and it will all get done...and if it doesn't that's ok too, right???? I know you can handle whatever comes your way. Another adventure for Kara, who will see and do wonderful things in Germany!

Last edited by femmecreole; 04-30-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 148/142/120

Height: 5'NOTHING

Kara - You're a very strong woman, so don't worry too much. Your kids will take their cue from you, so if you're frenzied and stressed, they will be cranky. If you're fun & excited, they will see it as an adventure. Of course, you know that, but sometimes it helps to be reminded.

For the logistics, make a list of everything you need to do, and then break it down by what can be done sooner and then done later. Get a binder and put one day on each sheet of paper and then just start breaking down things by day to do. Take it one day at a time, don't worry about a week, three days, or a three weeks from now.

As for taking my clothes in - well, I've tried that, but it doesn't work much. By the time you take in underneath the "shelf", it makes the fabric in the front come up higher than that in the back and looks like garbage. I don't really have "pricier" items in my wardrobe, and occasionally I do find something that fits fairly well. I also have a tendency to wear a minimizing sports-bra under nicer clothes. They have some nice sports bras out there that don't give you that Uni-boob look, so that is helpful.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #19  
My inspiration!

S/C/G: 288/288/150

Height: 5'4"

Good morning ladies! I have just finally gotten around to my morning coffee. I didn't want to put the peaceful, sleeping baby down!

The program is going great so far -- we've been having wonderful food on the grill -- and doing nice long walks each day. Today is supposed to be 80! So the baby and I will get out for a walk for sure. But, first we're going to see my sister-in-law who is due in June! We'll have lunch and get to see the finished nursery.

I hope everyone has a lovely day!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #20  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Kara-Saying a prayer for your strength, organization, calm and peace in your upcoming stressful days/weeks. God has blessed you with a wonderful family and opportunities, he will provide for you. Have faith. Thank you again for your service to our country. Thanks to your hubby too! Take a deep breath and carry on!
Hugs,
Karla
Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Cottage: yeah... i hear you about the furnace stuff. Yesterday was beautiful, chili.. we went for our bike ride. Last night was FREEZING!! Its a little better today, but not much.. Enjoy your day
Ruth: sounds like a busy day. Have fun getting stuff spring cleaned and gardening.
femme: I usually am a nap taker, but only up until a certain time of night. Unless I'm sick, I don't nap after 6 or 7... anything more and I'll be restless all night WOW to the making-it-through-chix-liver-smell Ick!!
mandy: enjoy the scenery, DH and I drive for work, sometimes we get into the southerntier of western NY and some of those views are just breath taking! Good work on the exercising. I went for a bike ride yesterday, I wanted to get up and do some dancing.. I think that will be waiting until the afternoon
Kara: WOW, just WOW.. I'm sorry. That is a lot of stuff to take in. I can understand why you're overwhelmed. You can make it through this, just take one day and one step at a time. Take a breather when you can and need to. You can do it... and yes we'll be praying for your family.. my goodness!
nessa: congrats on moving down the scale Any little bit is an accomplishment!! And you're right... spring time is usually pretty cool.. We were getting so used to the warmth... LOL
Schmoo: what do you do for work? It sounds very crazy and busy. Hope you get a chance to relax today
fluffy: Congrats on the good bill of health from the DR. and good job grinning and bearing the cold today. I'm the opposite of you, I have no problem with up top losing weight, its my hips and legs that like the jiggle.. ick! Although, I wait to go shopping until my jeans are baggy, and then I get a new shirt size...LOL...
pace: hello there... hope you have a good day
mare: that's a good goal. Don't rush your body though.. let it get there when it gets there. You seem to be doing very well
Zeff: good morning! Last night was enjoyable, I'm sure there'll be more times Looks like you have a busy morning..
littlechick: I'm sorry you're not feeling well today. I hope you get better. Try to keep your strength up if you can
hmac: you didn't do too bad considering the circumstances. And you got right back up.. GOOD JOB!! Enjoy being back OP
Kim: good morning!! Enjoy your day

done! So we went for the bike ride yesterday. Last night my hips were killing me. Took some ibeuprofen... and went to bed. I feel better today. On track and ready to move!! I'll probably get some dancing done this afternoon... get a little action in there. Anyhow, I'm off for a little bit, I'll check in later on. Its going to be a busy day!!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #22  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Kara my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family - I know that God will give you the strength that you need
Old 04-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #23  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quick dash through this morning in between students. We've got this week and next and then the semester is over, so panic mode is starting to set in for everyone.

Bless you, Ruth, for gardening in this weather. I feel so much colder after last week's heat. My blood is revolting and refusing to readjust to the cold. Sucks, since we're supposedly due for snow tonight!

Cat and Mandy, I never thought there'd be Mexican restaurants in LA...not sure why, but it seems terribly incongruent to me! That looks like a super-fabulous place, though. YUM! Sorry about the sleep Cat! Mandy, I have to avoid most Mexican places now, though they were my favorite restaurant before, because resisting chips is VERY hard! Sometimes I bring a WW tortilla and get fajitas, which feels rawther decadent, but I have to say "NO CHIPS!!!" at the beginning so I don't have to deal with it.

Darling Kara, I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time!!! I really wish I could come over and help cheer you up, hon. Okay, thoughts--
  • Go for a run! Everything looks better with endorphins in your system, and you can pound out your anger at the unfairness of having to deal with all this .
  • Sit down and figure out what you can do before the craziness hits to help make it easier. Just thinking about it now is a GREAT step!
  • Can you ready packing boxes? Enlist the kids' help? I know my friend Ange, who's a longtime military brat, is one of the best movers I know because she had to move so many times and her parents made the kids help. It's a wonderful skill to have! Even your littlest one can learn about sorting and such by helping to put toys in one box and clothes in another.
  • What information can you glean beforehand about the housing situation in Germany? I find it exceptionally helpful to find support communities (like this one) for any big things I undergo or experience. There has to be at least a community of international military wives/families and you may even find one specific to Germany. Ask them what pitfalls they faced and what tips they have. It could be priceless!
  • Can you talk with Jandaman here on 3FC about housing in her part of Germany? I know it's a different area, but she might be able to help you understand how things work there and maybe she (or some of her friends) has some links to housing websites she can recommend? It doesn't always work perfectly, but you can translate entire webpages using Babelfish.
  • Are there any ways you can shorten the time you have to spend on housing by doing some research now? Maybe you can get a feel for prices in the area. Maybe you can find a realtor to help you look?
  • Talk with Tom. It's really important that he understand how you're feeling so he can prepare on his end to try to make the transition easier. At the very least, you can make some kind of agreement to make the first couple days less hectic--i.e. Tom agrees to just go along with the schedule you guys are using until you're all in Germany and have things set up. That way you don't have to renegotiate everything twice.
  • Can you enlist friends and family to help? Packing might be easier with helpers...and perhaps some of Tom's friends can keep him occupied for a few hours each day so you don't have to stress about getting used to him being back for the entire day?
I really feel for you, hon! I get stressed out just like that whenever I know something really stressful is coming. The best way you can handle it, IMHO, is to do as much now as you can to make it easier and focus on getting as healthy as you can, physically and emotionally. If you've been running regularly and eating healthy, getting lots of sleep, and doing things that reduce stress and increase joy, you'll be much better fortified to face whatever comes. And, of course, I'll be praying for you--I'm sure we all will!

Schmoo, I'm with you on your rant. I think the key here is that, since different plans work for different people, if you try a plan and it doesn't work, that just means that it doesn't work for YOU, not that it doesn't work period. People who make sweeping generalizations of the effectiveness of a plan based on their personal experience annoy me. Especially when they didn't really follow (or LEARN!!!) the plan in the first place. I get so frustrated when people say they quit SBD because they couldn't handle eating all those salads. Oy!!! There's no requirement to eat even one salad--it doesn't take too much creativity to consider making a piece of lean meat with a side of frozen veggies, right? Anyways, off the right?

Fluffy, I'm with you on the "girls"--I tried on this darling shirt yesterday and it fit perfect everywhere but was straining at the buttons over my boobage. I am definitely planning on having a breast reduction as soon as I finish feeding my future children. Are you sure your insurance won't cover it? I think you simply need to show that it's affecting your health--I have permanent grooves in my shoulders from my straps, tons of pain in my back, neck and shoulders, etc. from trying to hold these two up for years. As much as I want to fit into cute clothes, I really want to be able to sit up straight without feeling like I'm running a marathon!

LC, It sounds painful! I hope you feel much better very soon.

HMac, sorry the conference wasn't helpful. That's so frustrating! I know it can be hard to stay OP in situations like that. I usually bring a bunch of food with me. If the hotel has a fridge, that's a huge plus. I'm also a wiz at taking stuff that doesn't have to be refrigerated out of the wet bar and stowing it elsewhere in the room to make room for my stuff, then replacing it in the fridge before I leave. However, you can make do with a cooler--just bring gallon ziploc bags and refill with ice from the ice machine each morning. I usually bring some protein bars for breakfasts, or cottage cheese in little containers. I give in and buy the small SF yogurts (usually I eat plain organic) and also bring SF puddings. Lots of places are also willing to make you something different if you ask. I'm usually too shy to ask, but when I have, people have been very generous and considerate. At one event I attended, one person at my table had a whispered conversation with the waiter, and fifteen minutes later, he brought out a gorgeous dish of fresh fruit for her dessert because she can't have sugar. I never thought of asking...just picked a couple pieces of fruit from the dessert tray and drank coffee. Don't beat yourself up, though--focus on how well you did and move forward, just like you're doing. Just watch out for cravings and, if they show up, make sure you do P1 until they're gone.

Wow, Natalie'sMom, what a wonderful morning! Cuddling with babies is just fantastic, especially when they're sleeping! Enjoy your day. We've been grilling out too and find it so easy, quick, and yummy!

TDI, are there good bike trails in the Buffalo area or do you just ride around the neighborhood? We are SO looking forward to getting our bikes out. We went for a ride 3 weeks ago--it was cold, but so much fun!

iammare, we live pretty close! Wow--I just didn't realize!

Me:
I'm SO glad to have the night off tonight and tomorrow night. I need it! DH is still sleeping off jet lag from a recent 2 week trip to Asia, so he's not all there at night, but I really want to get going on doing activities from the Beck Diet book, so I'm glad to have a little "me" time.

Off to the gym after work today, then off to do some quick grocery shopping (they didn't have any mint at the grocery this weekend, and I'm making tzatziki!) and a quick run to Blockbuster to return a movie. Then time with the dog, dinner making, and hopefully a somewhat peaceful night. Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #24  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Cat - Your dogs are lucky to have such a caring mama!

TDI - not busy.....just....stressful. The neighbors started some major renovations on their home this morning and getting Calvin to sleep has been....a problem. He's scared because of the noises but he's also super tired (it's nap time). I feel so bad for him. I ended up bringing him into our bed, and I'll post while he watches Baby Einstein's Baby MacDonald. It's soothing and maybe he'll relax a little.

We're thinking of going golfing with DH. Wednesday afternoons aren't busy at the municipal course, so they are happy to have us just walk around. Calvin likes being outdoors and it gives us a nice walk.

Ugh. I'm starving. I have no idea why breakfast just didn't take. I'm having a few almonds and some ff cottage cheese as a snack. Not sure what to have for lunch yet, I was too tired last night to really plan ahead. I ran out of salad mix last night as well

Last edited by zeffryn; 04-30-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Laurie - I seem to remember you living to the west of me, but your hubby working in Henrietta, or Down Town Rochester? Am I right?

Sometimes my memory fails me!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #26  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I'm trying to buy a wristlet on Etsy and I can't get the payment to go through! I'm so peeved because every time I try, it becomes sold out and I have to pick another one. Pretty soon I'm going to run out of ones that I like. I've tried a credit card, and two bank cards (all of them have ample funds/credit) and each time I get an error message telling me that I cannot use that card for the payment. I thought it might be a visa thing, so I tried a Mastercard....nothing.

Frustrating!!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #27  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Zeffryn, can you use Pay Pal?

Mare, I'm southeast of you, but my husband works in Corning. Don't worry--my brain is totally unreliable of late...it's a miracle I remember where I live!
Old 04-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #28  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for all the uplifts! You guys are the best. I think my problem is that we've done all the planning and now it's just waiting for all the other things to fall into place. We actually found out that our household goods arrived from Korea and California, so all of our things will be waiting for us when we get there. The car is promised to arrive the day we do as well, so that's also good. We've done all our research on the housing; it's just doing walk-throughs and seeing what we like and can afford. Everything that's left is up in the air, and that's hard for my Type-A personality to handle. And I'm hormonal. And I miss my husband.

Heather, you're so right. One step at a time, with our eyes focused heavenward.

Kara
Old 04-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #29  

Brian and I LOVE our new stuff! It is so nice to sit in the swing and look out at the pool. I can't wait to fix a dinner on the grill and eat at the table. Hmm. Maybe hotdogs tonight. It was late when we finally got the last of the stuff put together last night because we went by the scout warehouse and did inventory for a few hours. I'm still sore from lifting boxes that were too heavy for me to lift.

I've been trying to get everything organized for a staff meeting that I'm having at my house tomorrow. I expect 20-30 people and I'm not quite sure where I am going to put all of them. It's supposed to rain so we can't just all sit by the pool either. Oh, well, it will work out.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

zeff-that sounds very stresful!!! You'll get through it. We had a busy day here. Out by 1130 back home at 230 out by 315 for work. Its a long day. Dh asked about doing the slimfast diet instead!! I said I am not starving us. This is so healthy. Well be doing this for a while!! Besides were almost through the first phase. I keep telling him its get better. Besides, he eats what I put in front of him. LOL

Beachgal- there's some stateparks around. But the majority we just ride around the neighborhood. There is a NCs park we go to, its about 4miles to it. It leads to a good ride.
Closed Thread