What I learned today

• All those healthy people weren't lying - exercise really does work as well as a pint of ice cream or a bag of chips! Today was extremely stressful - discovered our brilliant state gov decided the best way to cut the budget because of falling revenues (you know, cuz people are broke) is to cut programs like kid's health insurance. Working in a non profit this has been the topic of much concern and phone calls all afternoon. All I wanted to do was get home and ride my bike. I have to say that, much to my surprise, it really helped. This is a lesson I need to remember because in the past I never thought there was a problem so big I couldn't eat my way out of it.
  • Yeah, I've been noticing the same thing. I used to come home from work and EAT to relieve stress. Now I come home and go for a run or some other exercise. Running helps me relieve stress, calm down, and feel good about myself. Then I can enjoy my evening!
    Who knew that I would ever enjoy running?
    Beth
  • Same thing with me and yogilates...calms me down when I'm stressed in the late afternoons...and it seems like I'm stressed just about EVERY afternoon.

Sorry you had such a horrid day, Cyndi!! (hug, hug, hug!!)
  • Yay! Natural endorphins!

Cutting kid's health insurance? What a crap way to save money. Sorry you had to be in the center of it. I'm sure people were po'd at you even though you really didn't have anything to do with the decision.
  • Zeffryn - We're on the screaming, phone calling end trying to stop this. People are pretty clear where this is coming from.
  • Cyndi congrats on getting the frustrations out the healthy way.

They are doing something like that here with all the child learning centers
  • Hello to a fellow Vermonter! I couldn't believe that Douglas suggested that

and congrats on using the exercise to relax and relieve your stress!
  • I enjoy bike rides in the summer, walks in the fall and spring, or bike rides and then dancing all year round... I love taking rides and walks with the DH...

• The day I went from exercising because I should to doing it because I wanted to was a life changing moment. I can see every day what my morning routine does for my body, but what it does for me mentally is just as important. I know when I have skipped it and look forward to restarting - as I know the tension in my shoulders will melt away and sweating seems to take anger and frustration with it.

Too bad I was in my 30s before I learned this - but, at least I can say I got there!

Ally