3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   How to transition from P1 to P2? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/139917-how-transition-p1-p2.html)

uscarchie 04-15-2008 07:12 PM

How to transition from P1 to P2?

I'm restarting P1 for a week or so, so that I get back into control with the grains- I introduced them way too quickly the last time I was in P1, going to P2.

How slowly should I do it this time? 1 fruit, 1 grain a day, for a week? Less? More? Just a fruit? Just a grain?

Suggestions? What's worked for you in the past?

ladybugnessa 04-15-2008 07:31 PM

my recommendation is ONE THING PER WEEK

so week one of phase one i recommend a fruit such as berries
later in the day paired with either dairy or fat... (strawberries and yogurt or ricotta was my first addition)

week two in addition to the strawberries add a grain/starch such as sweet potato or oatmeal

week 3 another fruit like apple or banana

week 4 another grain or starch

weeks 5 and 6 yet more IF you can handle it but many of us find that 1-2 of each is more than enough...

zeffryn 04-15-2008 08:12 PM

Nessa, by one thing per week, do you mean, for example: strawberries in the afternoon every day, or strawberries in the afternoon one day that first week?

What about mixing fruits and grains? Such as blueberries and oatmeal?

Thanks for the info :) It's much appreciated. I have another few days on P1, and am trying to figure out my game plan for p2.

ladybugnessa 04-15-2008 08:17 PM

strawberries every day for a week (or blueberries or alternate berries or mix them... but just berries that first week or a fruit if you can't do strawberries (or whatever you choose) every day...

i would not mix fruit and grains together till the end of the transition period. although now (2 years in) i do have oatmeal and fruit mixed almost every morning

best of luck for the transition... i think a slow transition is the key to making this work forever.

i also think you need to be very very patient... there will be days you feel hungry... take note of these days what you were eating etc...

transition and the first few months of phase 2 are trial and error... patience is really critical.

xGurlyGrlx 04-15-2008 08:22 PM

I did exactly what Nessa said and it worked for me. :D

I usually eat my fruit with string cheese so I don't feel hungry. Fruit does that to me.

zeffryn 04-15-2008 08:29 PM

Gurly, fruit does that to me too. It bottoms out my blood sugar and makes me ravenous. A piece of cheese or something with it is a good idea.

mary83 04-15-2008 09:17 PM

I finished P1 almost three weeks ago, and am still only doing one grain a day, for breakfast. My plan is to add a fruit with my lunch next week. I am losing weight very slowly, but I always do. I'm just thrilled to see the scale moving at all!! So, that said, I agree with everyone else that the key to a succesful transition from P1 to P2 is baby steps.

murphmitch 04-15-2008 09:26 PM

I added the grain first - I was dying for oatmeal in the morning. I ate it every day from the beginning of Phase II. I added fruit with my lunch only after about two weeks of Phase II. I added a second grain after about another two weeks, which is brown rice or ww bread with my supper. Since I usually eat large apples and bananas, I usually count it as two fruits instead of one.